97 Ninja 600: What to look for?

NightRider

I have my Sabre up for trade. I have a guy looking to trade his 97 Ninja 600 for mine.

Is there anything i should look for on these bikes? Problem area's? From what i can see, the plastics look good. Except he told me the area where it says ninja has a crack the size of a pencil.

What's the aftermarket scene look like for these bikes? This will be my 1st sportbike, if everything works out. Should be interesting. :D

Here's a link to pics. Let me know what you guys think.

http://photobucket.com/j7even08

Make sure all its gears work. From what a few guys have told me the old kawis were back about second gear going out in them. Just check the chain, the tires, see how the motor sounds. try to pick his brain alittle on the maintnence and see if he can give you any insight, on whats been kept up with, and make sure its somthing your comfurtable with and really like. Just use some basic mecanical sense also, you know if the frame looks cracked and been re welded or any non sense like that. stay away. Also check for a clean title or salvage or what.

That Sabre is badass, don't trade it for a overweight, underpowered 90's sportbike

No doubt the Sabre was/is a good looking, great running bike. I thought i would love the bike, but...like a BUSA it doesn't turn. It's a drag bike, a straight line bike. Anything other than that...your asking for a miracle.

This bike may be over weight, compared to to other sportbikes...but...it's over 100 lbs lighter than the Sabre. And...missing just 8 hp.

Ok point taken......that looks like a clean unmolested Ninja, miles are low also. Even though it looks like my girls 2 fiddy ;) are you looking to trade straight up?

Yeah no shit lol. I've had a couple comments on that. Someone got me worried for a min i traded for a 500 or something. *cough* *ninjachk*....:D

For better or worse. I already did, even up. The Sabre is an 85, the Ninja is a 97. Kbb on the Ninja is about 600$ more. So, i don't think i went wrong. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'll ride it the rest of the year, sell it about a month before winter ends. And buy a newer sportbike.

Sounds like a good trade, congrats!!! I just love the look of those old Sabres. Let me know when you want to hit Hocking!!! :D

Thanks. Trust me, i love the look of the Sabre's too. I mean, since i've been into motorcycles...i've been looking at the v65's. Still getting used to the ninja obviously. But anytime! :D

Thanks. Trust me, i love the look of the Sabre's too. I mean, since i've been into motorcycles...i've been looking at the v65's. Still getting used to the ninja obviously. But anytime! :D

You coming to this bro http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=34266