Oil change question!

Dubguy85

I was changing my oil in the race bike for the first time, and the manual says like 2.2 qts or something...So I put in 2.2 and it was not even in the sight window... I started it, waited 15 min...still nothing... So I put more in, and did the same thing... Well finally put in to see in the sight window, and put a little too much in...Its JUUUST under the top line where it should be in the middle between the 2 lines....Is it possible to pull the drain plug for a few seconds, then plug it up, or once its pulled do I have to drain ALL the oil out? Should I be concerned if its at the line? I feel since its a race bike, and being ridden hard, at the top line of oil that could be bad... Anyone have advice?

My feelings are the same man. If you were street riding it, I wouldn't expect your oil pressure to get as high as your track bike. As far as pulling the plug for a few seconds, I tried this once on my wifes Camry, I even had the car on a lift so I had good access, and as soon as I pulled it, I tried to get it back in, and the oil just moving so quickly I couldn't get it. I would definitely give it a try, but be prepared to buy some more oil just in case.

I was changing my oil in the race bike for the first time, and the manual says like 2.2 qts or something...So I put in 2.2 and it was not even in the sight window... I started it, waited 15 min...still nothing... So I put more in, and did the same thing... Well finally put in to see in the sight window, and put a little too much in...Its JUUUST under the top line where it should be in the middle between the 2 lines....Is it possible to pull the drain plug for a few seconds, then plug it up, or once its pulled do I have to drain ALL the oil out? Should I be concerned if its at the line? I feel since its a race bike, and being ridden hard, at the top line of oil that could be bad... Anyone have advice?

I bet it doesn't say 2.2 quarts. I bet it says something like 3600mL, or 3.6L. Is the bike completely level? Have you ran it since you hit the top line? I'd run in for a minute or two, then let it sit for 10 minutes and check it again. If you pull the drain plug to let some out, remember the plug is slipperier than fuck. Be sure to have a good hold of it. But yeah, I'd drain some.

I always manage to overfill my Vulcan. Granted it's not track, but it hasn't been a problem. I get a little blowback that collects in a bottle the Vulcans have.

If it's bad you could just loosen your drain plug and let a little, but like Casper said, it's slippery :)

Can't you just break the filter loose and drain some oil from there?

That's a good one. You can also pick up one of those graduated syringes for adding two stroke oil (available everywhere) or a length of tubing. The oil filter way is just about perfect, though.

It actually is 2.2 the newer gsxr's don't hold much oil but if you put oil in the filter before installing it then give it a little bit to drail back into the pan.

You would think that after owning 2493 bikes that changing oil would be a piece of cake. ;)

He's never owned one long enough to have to do an oil change...:p

It actually is 2.2 the newer gsxr's don't hold much oil but if you put oil in the filter before installing it then give it a little bit to drail back into the pan.

You would think that after owning 2493 bikes that changing oil would be a piece of cake. ;)

+1 I thought it was 2.2... And lol..I've changed a couple bikes ;)

That's a good one. You can also pick up one of those graduated syringes for adding two stroke oil (available everywhere) or a length of tubing. The oil filter way is just about perfect, though.

I stole my wifes turkey baster and use that to suck it out.

dubguy, you may be well served with getting a couple of fumoto oil drain valves. They take the place of the stock oil drain bolt, and have a little petcock inside that you can use to drain as little or as much oil as you need. They come a few variations depending on what you're after, some have a nipple for a drain hose so you don't have to take your fairings off. Only 20 bucks or so last I checked.

i always overfill mine because i ride wheelies alot and still run it hard in the twisties and on the track and have never had a problem on any of my bikes , i wouldnt worry bout drainin it but thats just me

Overfilling oil is a pretty bad thing to do. Look up hydro lock and you'll see why that's not a good idea...

Stressing the rods, crank, and such due to the amount of oil it has to spin through is never good...

The oil filter idea is a great idea or the syringe idea is easiest...

One thing I do is that if it says 3.3 or 2.2, whatever, I simply add 2 qts or 3 qts and start it up and run it until it reaches operating temp. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes (usually enough time to get the plastic back on and things cleaned up...

I then check and usually, it ends up right in between the lines (where I always want it) and I am fine. If you then need to add a little, adding .2 or .3 is pretty easy...