How else could something so beautiful exist?

Likwid

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1.. It isn't hard for me to look around this country and see a huge lack of 'hey' date=' that's convenient'. I believe something played a part in the creation of this place. It's that whole "virgin birth, son of god, heaven and hell" bit that I have trouble believing.

FTR: This is not meant to start a secular vs faith argument or bashing session. I believe everyone has the right to believe as they choose, without comments or hatred from others, so long as what they believe doesn't do damage to others.[/quote']

And there you have it. Just because you believe in an invisible sky wizard and are paying someone to take care of your pets when the Rapture comes doesn't automatically mean that I'm in immediate need of repentance just because I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pasta be upon him).

+1.. It isn't hard for me to look around this country and see a huge lack of 'hey' date=' that's convenient'. I believe something played a part in the creation of this place. It's that whole "virgin birth, son of god, heaven and hell" bit that I have trouble believing.[/quote']

That's where faith comes into play. I don't know how to describe it any other way!

FTR: This is not meant to start a secular vs faith argument or bashing session. I believe everyone has the right to believe as they choose' date=' without comments or hatred from others, so long as what they believe doesn't do damage to others.[/quote']

I agree here! You are free to believe what I want you to! :lol:

Not really though, I will not berate you for what you do, or do not believe. All I ask is that it stays that way on both sides!

Also, I am willing to listen to anyone's belief, as long as they are willing to hear mine! The hate and intolerance leads to what we have in the middle east, and THAT is not good!

They may have a cooky religion' date=' but Mormons are the nicest people I've ever met.[/quote']

They are too worn out from listening to all those wives drone on to be unpleasant. :D

Here it is for me in a nutshell: Organized religion is the antagonist of all wars.

It can be broken down to the basic "My dad is better than your dad" schoolyard fight. My God is greater than your God. Lets kill each others people over our faith. Great idea dumbasses. Id rather fight over oil, but as we have found, that doesnt make it any cheaper.

Agreed, but would you pin that on the organizers or the religion? Fundamentally speaking, none of the major religions condone killing.

It's the extremists of the religions that do the killing! Islam for example, is a peacful religion, it's the Islamic EXTREMISTS that are causing the trouble. There are just so many of them that it makes Islam look evil.

Some very good, valid points here! And it's been a civil discussion! Wow!

Faith without hypocrisy, yeah it's rare

I'm not a humanist, but here's one that should appeal to everyone:

"If what he said is good, and so much of it is absolutely beautiful, what does it matter if he was God or not? But if Christ hadn't delivered the Sermon on the Mount, with its message of mercy and pity, I wouldn't want to be a human being. I'd just as soon be a rattlesnake." - Vonnegut

Ok, so I couldn't help but read all the post on here. Here is my 2 cents:

I have been a believer in God for about 20 years, yeah I'm young, but God calls us to come like children in faith. I'm not preaching at yall, just giving you my thoughts. I do not judge people on what they believe, I love people for who they are. I love to have fun and hang out, but I may not participate in all the actions. I work at a Christian university and I have taken many classes in the Christian religion. There are way too many things in the Bible that lead me to believe in God.

I would rather die in my faith and have lived a good life as a Christian and believe in God, then live a sinful life and there be a God. So, let's put it this way, better be safe then sorry. Hopefully I said this right...LOL!

So, let's put it this way, better be safe then sorry.

As someone who's become religious and stayed that way through research and experience, I thought about that several times. Even atheists can't help but joke about it. Say armageddon or whatever happens and the fit hits the shan, then what? That would be pretty embarrassing guys :D. Or it doesn't, I still wouldn't regret a thing.

I think people's choice of religion is far too arbitrary for there to be a Supreme Being with some master plan. This is what I mean:

--If you were born in the US and your parents are Christian you are FAR more likely to be a Christian than any other religion.

--If you were born in India and your parents are Hindu you are FAR more likely to be a Hindu than any other religion.

--If you were born in China and your parents are Buddhist you are FAR more likely to be a Buddhist than any other religion.

--Etc.

--Etc.

If a Supreme Being was involved, wouldn't it's ability to reveal the 'truth' be able to overcome something as arbitrary as geography???

Edited by Tpoppa
typo

The funny thing is, the most important things that God wants us to do are to love God, and love people. Live by that, and things will be better! If you happen to not believe in God, love others ain't so bad to live by. Myself, I choose to do both.

Edited by jporter12
spelling

If a Supreme Being was involved, wouldn't it's ability to reveal the 'truth' be able to overcome something as arbitrary as geography???

Yes, but to think everyone will really want it? Probably not. If you believe the account to be historical and not just a parable, even Jesus was shunned and killed by the people of his time.

Anyway, I think we took a turn into the murkier waters. I'm treading carefully here ;)

You have a point with the different areas, but God has revealed himself in these different areas, you just don't hear about it because of government in those countries. If God does not exsit then why are people dying for having a Bible? Why do people die for holding Christian meetings?

You have a point with the different areas, but God has revealed himself in these different areas, you just don't hear about it because of government in those countries. If God does not exsit then why are people dying for having a Bible? Why do people die for holding Christian meetings?

People have died for ALL religions, by that logic would you argue that all religions are true?

For the record not mad nor trying to anger anyone else...

Edited by Tpoppa

I would rather die in my faith and have lived a good life as a Christian and believe in God, then live a sinful life and there be a God. So, let's put it this way, better be safe then sorry. Hopefully I said this right...LOL!

I was waiting for Pascal's Wager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager) to show up, that didn't take long at all.

I wanted to say right after I posted that I do have a genuine belief in God. I don't want to sound like I believe in Him just because I don't want something bad to happen to me when I die. After I read my post it kind of seemed that way. If you look at it as, "safe then sorry" then you need to check yourself. I apologize for the confusion....

I wanted to say right after I posted that I do have a genuine belief in God. I don't want to sound like I believe in Him just because I don't want something bad to happen to me when I die. After I read my post it kind of seemed that way. If you look at it as, "safe then sorry" then you need to check yourself. I apologize for the confusion....

Whatever/however you believe is of no business or concern to me, unless someone makes it that way. As long as you're happy doing whatever it is that you're doing, and it's not infringing negatively on me, I'm happy for you.

I'm not a religious person' date=' but I do believe in a God. I believe something created/designed this universe. It wasn't happenstance.[/quote']

...and I don't think he intervenes. God is so slick that he designs the sucker, winds it up and lets it run. We're each responsible for our lives here.

You know what the explanation for religion is?

All beliefs, regardless of manifestation, stem from our personal want and ignorance of what happens after you die.

There's no sacrifice you give up when you believe... just the sinning! As Snoman said, it's easier to be a good Christian and be wrong about the presence of G-d than it is to not believe and then be wrong.

Worst Case

There is no supreme being, nothing happens when I die

Best Case

There is a supreme being, I'll go to heaven

Edit: Just clicked on the link... I just described "Pascal's wager".... oops

Edited by Likwid

You know what the explanation for religion is?

All beliefs, regardless of manifestation, stem from our personal want and ignorance of what happens after you die.

There's no sacrifice you give up when you believe... just the sinning! As Snoman said, it's easier to be a good Christian and be wrong about the presence of G-d than it is to not believe and then be wrong.

Worst Case

There is no supreme being, nothing happens when I die

Best Case

There is a supreme being, I'll go to heaven

Edit: Just clicked on the link... I just described "Pascal's wager".... oops

:D

No "oops" necessary. If that's what you believe in, that's what you believe in. As an observation, I notice that most theological discussions result in someone invoking the Wager, but few people actually know they are doing it and call it by name. Consider yourself enlightened.