do u/have you worked for jpmorgan/chase, verizon, nationwide?

socaln8tv

a few changes suddenly in the last week for me.....ive had two job offers in the last 4 days and am on the fence. if you work for/have worked in the past, what is your experience as an employee? im only asking bc i know there are some company's here locally where the work environment is horrible and moral is very low. if i have a choice in accepting a position, id rather it be an educated one. ive heard good things about about a couple of these co's above. very good in fact. thanks for the feedback if you're at will to offer feedback, or if more comfortable -- pm is appeciated.

also, in general -- has any one ever negotiated their salary with reasonable success? with the plethora of applicants out there right now, im not sure many are obliged to get lucky in that dept. now that i've tasted going back to corporate, i kind of want it more.

-Thanks 2 all who reply.;)

I start with JPMorgan Chase on the 5th and I hear it's not a bad place to work. Also I have a friend that works w/ Nationwide and it's pretty good too depending on what job you're looking at. Not sure about Verizon.

It seems that about half our members work for Chase and they are always screwing around on the internets at work, so it cant be all bad. I have heard that if you are older/making good $ that they will replace you with younger/cheaper with a quickness. But that could probably be said about any conglomo.

I have worked/work for two of the companies on that list. All of those are great companies to work for. I never negotiated my starting salary because it was always higher than I expected. I guess I should have tried but in this job market I would be a little leery of doing that. Good luck with your decision.

If you're a fan of sexual harassment and supervisors that make judgments based on if they can have sexual relations with you. Then work for chase. My gf and my close friends work there and they said its a great place to work if it weren't for the lack of professionalism and disregard for company policy against sexual harassment and office relationships. My friends are family men with kids and pictures of their wives or fiancés on their desk and they still get hit on, if they were single I’m sure they wouldn’t mind. Total lack of respect from both male and female, they don’t call it “club chase” for nothing.

a friend of mine does work at verizon and loves it, all but the pay. salary was very low but the 8k a year toward Higher Ed is the kicker that made it worth it for him.

i appreciate these responses and how quick they are coming it. its really good feedback.

I can only really shed light on my knowledge from working at large corporate environments, not those companies specifically.

The negotiability on starting salary usually depends pretty highly on the position. Entry level being less negotiable than "senior" level positions. In terms of actually negotiating... do it... without a doubt. It never hurts to ask for more cash, but don't give an ultimatum if you're not willing to follow through, "increase that by $5,000 or I walk"... but it never hurts to ask "Hey, is there a little wiggle room on that starting salary, I'd like to see it a little higher" any response other than "no wiggle room" is an opening to begin negotiations. Also, if they say no, ask about a signing bonus, I know a lot of companies are willing to give signing bonus instead of salary bump.

Another thing to keep in mind, if morale sucks there's probably a reason for it, with the big corporate players don't expect things to change, if people love the job and hate the salaries, don't expect salaries to go up. Sucks, but companies seem to "throw out" employee feedback on salary because "we'll never pay them enough, so let's throw out these survey results".

I'd recommend JobVent.com for candid feedback on the bigger employers, it's obviously skewed WAY more negative than positive, but it will help you compare offers.

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: My opinion is my own and is not endorsed by the company I work for.

Salary isn't all of it. Don't forget asking for a 6 month review and one-time increase in salary. Also, negotiate an increase in vacation time, if it looks like you are going to loose what you had before. Or what you should have for your experience/age. Car if they provide them for management, etc. Perks... edit: stock options!

Edited by ReconRat

I have worked/work for two of the companies on that list. All of those are great companies to work for. I never negotiated my starting salary because it was always higher than I expected. I guess I should have tried but in this job market I would be a little leery of doing that. Good luck with your decision.

... more than what you expected? a goal to aspire to!! not many people can claim that. you must be some talent. thanks for the reply.

If you're a fan of sexual harassment and supervisors that make judgments based on if they can have sexual relations with you. Then work for chase. My gf and my close friends work there and they said its a great place to work if it weren't for the lack of professionalism and disregard for company policy against sexual harassment and office relationships. My friends are family men with kids and pictures of their wives or fiancés on their desk and they still get hit on, if they were single I’m sure they wouldn’t mind. Total lack of respect from both male and female, they don’t call it “club chase” for nothing.

wow -- didnt expect this response but i appreciate the info. my neighbor is an analyst making obnoxious money and talks about club chase but clearly she doesnt truly understand the nature.... she only mentioned the risque dress on that floor compared to her floor... my thoughts were she is just pissed she has to adhere to her new york boss' dress code policy as opposed to company-wide.

It seems that about half our members work for Chase and they are always screwing around on the internets at work, so it cant be all bad. I have heard that if you are older/making good $ that they will replace you with younger/cheaper with a quickness. But that could probably be said about any conglomo.

What is this nonsense? :confused:

:D:D:D:D

I can only really shed light on my knowledge from working at large corporate environments, not those companies specifically.

The negotiability on starting salary usually depends pretty highly on the position. Entry level being less negotiable than "senior" level positions. In terms of actually negotiating... do it... without a doubt. It never hurts to ask for more cash, but don't give an ultimatum if you're not willing to follow through, "increase that by $5,000 or I walk"... but it never hurts to ask "Hey, is there a little wiggle room on that starting salary, I'd like to see it a little higher" any response other than "no wiggle room" is an opening to begin negotiations. Also, if they say no, ask about a signing bonus, I know a lot of companies are willing to give signing bonus instead of salary bump.

very helpful reply in terms of advice on counter-offering a position. i have to "ask" as you say, but only because it's in my nature. there is a right way to do it and I like the way you spin it. it doesnt hurt to be humble when it comes to salary negotiation. usually hr reps encountering candidates with my background can expect it i suppose. you've been very helpful -- appreciate the reply!

you know its true your the main one max is talkin bout you didnt get that post count in your free time bambi ........... then again maybe you did and thats why your still single and disease :dunno:

I do a good job.

Edited by Mr Anderson

it's monday so my review will probably be more negative than if you had asked me on a friday...

unless you're on a small team, you really won't feel like you have much involvement and I think that attitude is rampant within the company. it's almost impossible to get fired once you make it past your 90 day trial period or whatever but some people like that. I've never seen so many people who have 20+ years employment with the same company and at the same time are completely worthless.

there are about 2,000 handicap parking spots at the polaris complex and you'll understand why once you walk around and see all the fat and worthless tards who are sucking up all the oxygen and food from the vending machines. but it is a real ego boost when you see all the drones waddling around between the breakroom and their cubes.

god I need a raise