gun forum....wacked

Rod38um

I go to a forum some that specializes in 1911's. They have a lot of good info there so I mostly just read. I had a question though and I asked it, it was answered and then I made a comment and it got deleted. Now I've had post's deleted before. Mostly some type of political post and some mod didnt view politics the same way... I can live with that, I'll just leave if it gets so bad the truth or free speech is impaired. But this one just struck me wrong.

This is a site that has all gun guys on it! Good ole fashioned, mostly ex-military, pro American patriots. tell me what you think. This is the conversation:

Champion,manufactured where?

I've been looking at the champion as a possible carry gun. I like the stainless model but in looking around, I see that some say "made in brazil" and some dont say.... So I'm wondering if the newer ones are manufactured here or still in brazil. Could anyone help me out with this info? I cant seem to find it....

Rod38um View Public Profile Send a private message to Rod38um Find all posts by Rod38um Add Rod38um to Your Contacts

scottl user_online.gif

#2 report.gif

All are "made" in Brazil some are finished here some there.I am not sure if the "N" and "NM" prefixes are on Champs or not."N" wouldbe finished in Brazil.I think I read where all Operator's are finished in Illinios

Champion Operator

And then I answered with this but it got deleted:

(Thats a darn shame, I really like that gun, I wanted to stick with "Made in the USA" though.)

Now I know that they dont want you to bash a manufacturer. But I didnt.... they print it on the gun, they must be proud its made in a foriegn land. Me wanting to stick with a product made here is just my opinion and I've seen much worse words than "darn" on that site so it seems pretty "communist" for lack of a better word that it gets deleted.

I mean, Is it wrong to be thinking "made in USA" when the un-employment rate is 10%? Is it anti american to ask? Is free speech totally gone in America?

Sorry for the Rant..... but this one just hit me wrong...

Heres the link:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=246525

S&W, Colt, Ruger, I'm fairly certain that springfield still makes long guns and 1911's here, and you can never leave out good old ohio born high points. j/k about the high points being good but they are made here.

Well you know, its impossible to strictly buy American but when given a choice, I will, even if it cost's a few dollars more.

Yes I ride a Jap made bike. There is not an acceptable American made product as an alternative.

I just didnt see where having or voicing this opinion was cause for deletion.

I probably got a little too fired up about it but some things get under my skin.....

Either way deleting your post was pretty dick it sounds like. That's why I like it the way a couple of forums I frequent do it. In place of the contents of the post is the when it was hidden and why. On one forum the mods name is included in the info. It's all out there for everyone to see users and mods alike.

Who knows. they made have done it on accident or perhaps they just don't like you as an american. either way buy what you like and fuck what they think. I would buy a kimber if I had unlimited money, but since I don't I rock out with my $150 rossi .38 special and keep cheap long guns. close quarters and distance covered end of story.

And then I answered with this but it got deleted:

(Thats a darn shame, I really like that gun, I wanted to stick with "Made in the USA" though.)

Maybe they have had flame wars in the past over similar comments and wanted to avoid that happening again. Maybe they have a number of people that use the forum that are not from the US and didn't want to insult them. Add in you are a noob there in their eyes and in two posts you bring up a controversial topic.

I agree with your position on US made 100 percent but I can see where they might have felt the need to do it.

As for Free Speech, it is their forum...it is a private forum that allows public access. Free Speech does not apply to them. Casper can set any rules he wants to here for example.

I get that its their forum and their rules, I did have 30 some posts, but still a noob there I know. At some point, heavy handed deletions will run people off. I think this forum (OR) does an excellent job from what I've seen so far.

I just now looked around on that site at a few threads where people are asking for opinions on guns and I now notice that everyone only says good things about whatever gun is in question so I'm thinking maybe if someone says something "not so flattering" about a gun.... they delete it. they must be sucking up for advertising..... or thats my guess...... That kind of takes the "usefulness" out of the entire forum. I mean, why go there for info if you cant see good and the bad, the pro's and the cons?

It kinda makes the entire forum good for nothing but picture pages.... lol

I get that its their forum and their rules, I did have 30 some posts, but still a noob there I know. At some point, heavy handed deletions will run people off.

Absolutely. I have seen the cleveland.com forums for the Plain Dealer get totally destroyed because of massive almost random deletions/moderation. And I too vote with my feet when moderators go overboard. The mods here do it right, they use mild public humiliation in a constructive way when people get out of line from what I have seen. Done right as they do it works really well. People learn where the line is without being run off.

I have yet to find a gun only forum that isn't too heavily modded for my taste. I go to them to find information about current events that interest me or information about my next purchase. I have yet to find one that will allow open free discussion about any topic and there is a whole lot of stupid in them just like most forums.

I suggest finding a forum with no rules that has at least one of your interests as its main theme. The chances are pretty good that the majority of people participating in such a forum have guns as an interest so you can find excellent information on both sides of an issue without the mod filter. Beware in such a forum nothing stays on topic.

I really like this forum and can accept the rules and the amount of modding that takes place this is why I participate here. There are more open places with less rules and moderators.

The manufacturer being proud of their product is not the only reason they mark it with the country of origin it's also because they have to in order to sell outside of their country.

Is your Croatian gun an Xd? if so I'd stick with that to. I loved mine hated to give her up.

Yessir, Made in Croatia, imported by the oldest name in American Firearms! I'm proud to wear something with Springfield Armory OR XD on it, Made in Croatia or not. But yes, I'd take a S&W as well, but not because it's Made in America, because they make some good handguns.

Ultimately I buy based on quality/perceived quality not country of origin/manufacture. If you put 2 identical quality items side by side and say "This one is made in America and it costs $100, and this one is Made in Japan and it costs $50"

I'm buying the Japanese one, sorry.

Absolutely. I have seen the cleveland.com forums for the Plain Dealer get totally destroyed because of massive almost random deletions/moderation. And I too vote with my feet when moderators go overboard. The mods here do it right, they use mild public humiliation in a constructive way when people get out of line from what I have seen. Done right as they do it works really well. People learn where the line is without being run off.

Mods on a lot of these forums have gotten a bit crazy, pushing their personal agenda and personal beliefs.

+1.

That' date=' and most 1911 fanatics are douche bags about 'plastic guns' and I hate that. I like to take jabs at Glock, but I also know they are great weapons. I don't dilute myself until I believe that a 1911 is the only weapon to carry. It's actually quite inferior to Tupperware guns if you think about it tactically. (but damn, they are sexay!!)[/quote']

Agreed there, I love the look of a 1911, but it's not the top of my "want" list... I like my tupperware gun :-D

I like a lot of guns and I do believe that a "tupperware gun" in many cases are great out of the box shooters. Many of the 1911's have to be shot and tinkered with a bit to make them the way you want them. Personally I love the single stack grip, it fits nice in my hand and I love that light, smooth, but crisp trigger that only comes with good quality 1911. And you're right.... they are just darn sexy! lol....... OK, I'll stop b4 I start slobbering.....

I agree. My Glock 17 is a nice, straightforward, functional piece. I'd say that modern 'tupperware' guns are kind of like newish Honda Civics-- fairly reliable, they do exactly what they're designed to do, nothing fancy, but who cares.

1911's, on the other hand, are more like vintage Mustangs-- big, cool, noisy, fun as hell; but also finicky, temperamental, harder to maintain, and often unreasonably expensive.

Both are good for what they're good for, but you normally buy them for different reasons.

I agree Aerik in principal, but I must say my XDSC has way more "extras" than I ever thought a reliable, lower priced, gun would have. More like a Lexus if you compared to cars.... does exactly what I want and more. I wouldn't have thought I could get a firearm with metal trigger, trigger safety, backstrap safety, striker indicator, accessory rail. and all the trigger kits/jobs out there. Sure I can't get new custom wood grips... but who cares :)

But right out of the box you can load it, point, shoot and be impressed with the trigger pull and accuracy without doing anything to it.... if you're not taking it to competitions you're done

I love 1911’s; I understand them, am comfortable with them since they were my duty weapon. I do not own one currently but would like to have one. That single action trigger can't be matched. With most guns after you work out its issues they become very reliable for a long time. This is why I don't have an issue with the less expensive guns once their issues are worked out they are just as reliable as an expensive one. (In most cases they don't need work.)

I have a M9 that I would like to say is my favorite handgun but I can't because with me pulling the trigger my G34 shoots way better.