good second jobs?

Kahooli

I'm a college student at UC (engineering). We CoOp every other quarter.

So I'm working 8-5 through the week. Well. I'm gonna need some more cash if I want to make it through the rest of my schooling without more student loans.

What's a good second job? I realize there's better places to ask but, what's the OR take on coming up with cash? Caveat: I will not pay for bartending school. Sure I'd love to make the money they do but I'm not willing to put 600 into it and not be able to secure a good gig.

Street corner? :eek:

Kidding! Right now, just take what you can find, flipping burgers, delivering pizza's, whatever, but always have your eye open for something better! That's my advice for anyone looking for a job, something is better than nothing, and if you have some (more in your case) cash flowing in, you'll be less stressed about it.

What's a good second job? I realize there's better places to ask but, what's the OR take on coming up with cash?

This is actually not a bad place to ask! There are so many people on here in so many different industries that someone might even have a job for you!

What about school loans? That's how most get through college. You pay them back 6 months after you graduate. Most consolidate the subsidized and Unsubsidized when it's time. Also, you can concentrate on college and not waste time working while you're in it.

Edited by NinjaNick

any bar or restaurant in HP or Mt Lookout. The 2 years I lived there almost every one I went to was always looking for help. I used to know most of the bartenders in all of the Mt Lookout bars but that was 2 years ago and don't know how many are still there

What about school loans? That's how most get through college. You pay them back 6 months after you graduate. Most consolidate the subsidized and Unsubsidized when it's time. Also, you can concentrate on college and not waste time working while you're in it.

The American way! Then file bankruptcy a few years later becuase of the hole you've gotten yourself into, and on and on....

Sorry, I just have a problem with going into debt when you're ABLE to worl and pay for things instead.

I don't feel like paying interest. Plus I really don't have a life... I work, I study, I sleep. Eating occasionally.

I'm a pretty private individual.

The American way! Then file bankruptcy a few years later becuase of the hole you've gotten yourself into, and on and on....

Sorry, I just have a problem with going into debt when you're ABLE to worl and pay for things instead.

I applaud someone rich enough to pay for college as they go out of their own pocket. Honestly, if I already had a job that I could do that with I suggest that person to forget college and stay with that company they already work for, because that is one hell of a job w/out a college education. Then again if they have nothing else to worry about and live with mommy or someone else is paying for everything else, then I can see what you mean. Which really doesn't say Mr. independent.

I never met a soul that hasn't paid or is paying their student loans. I had no idea that any loans out there means the receipient is going to file bankruptcy. That is a new ignorant fact that I'll have to add to my throw away list. :nono:

I admire you for having cash for your home, car, etc, and never owning a credit card. You sir are my IDOL. :bow: Cuz we all know that if you don't have cash for something now and get a loan on credit that it means your a piece of shit excuse of an American and will be in bankruptcy court soon. :nono::lol:

News: If it wasn't for student loans most colleges wouldn't even survive. College attendance would be very low. Not everyone is Indian and gets government funding and graduates with an Engineering or doctor of medicine degree.

Responsibility....yeah, I have lots of it. :slap:

Edited by NinjaNick

Definitely deliver pizza. I worked at Dominos, it's an easy job and the tips are great... and Uncle Sam doesn't need to know about all the dollars

I agree. In 1996 when I was 18-19, I worked for Papa Johns Pizza in Lebanon and used my hourly pay to pay for my 5.0 mustang I had and I always had cash because of the tips. Fridays and Saturdays I made about $90-100 in tips those nights. Weeknights I made atleast $25 in tips. I was ahead of most my age and got mad poohtang because of the car and the money in my wallet...:lol:

I applaud someone rich enough to pay for college as they go out of their own pocket. Honestly, if I already had a job that I could do that with I suggest that person to forget college and stay with that company they already work for, because that is one hell of a job w/out a college education. Then again if they have nothing else to worry about and live with mommy or someone else is paying for everything else, then I can see what you mean. Which really doesn't say Mr. independent.

I never met a soul that hasn't paid or is paying their student loans. I had no idea that any loans out there means the receipient is going to file bankruptcy. That is a new ignorant fact that I'll have to add to my throw away list. :nono:

I admire you for having cash for your home, car, etc, and never owning a credit card. You sir are my IDOL. :bow: Cuz we all know that if you don't have cash for something now and get a loan on credit that it means your a piece of shit excuse of an American and will be in bankruptcy court soon. :nono::lol:

News: If it wasn't for student loans most colleges wouldn't even survive. College attendance would be very low. Not everyone is Indian and gets government funding and graduates with an Engineering or doctor of medicine degree.

Responsibility....yeah, I have lots of it. :slap:

Nick, Nick, Nick..... Sorry the rep system being offline has you so sensitive! :lol:

If that's the only way you have to afford college, by all means do what you have to do. I applaud you for going through college to begin with.

No, student loans, or financing stuff doesn't mean that a person will end up in bankruptcy. I do know for a fact that 100% of the people that don't have anything financed will not file bankruptcy! It would be SO much better if parents would start planning, and saving for their children's college.

I'm just saying that it's a good idea to try to do everything possible to avoid financing any more than one has to.

I agree. I plan to help my children with college. I don't want them to have to do what I had to do, it sucks. The times have changed and you need a good degree to get by well in todays society. It's hard to get good pay w/out one. If they get a free baseball ride like I did, I hope they don't blow it their senior year of HS like I did. :(

Some parents think they're kids should work for their college. Why do you want to put that much stress on your loved one? Help them have it easier than you and try to save for them. I wish my parents did. They depended on a scholarship for me, which I got, but then fucked up my senior year and was ineligible to play or have the grades to take the scholarship I was getting offered.

Edited by NinjaNick

Cmon guys... you're being a bit too sensitive and getting off topic.

Yes I have student loans, subsidized ones where I wont have to pay capitalized interest until after I graduate. My point is that I don't want to have to take any private loans.

Lookin like food service or cleaning...

I agree. I plan to help my children with college. I don't want them to have to do what I had to do, it sucks. The times have changed and you need a good degree to get by well in todays society. It's hard to get good pay w/out one. If they get a free baseball ride like I did, I hope they don't blow it their senior year of HS like I did. :(

Some parents think they're kids should work for their college. Why do you want to put that much stress on your loved one? Help them have it easier than you and try to save for them. I wish my parents did. They depended on a scholarship for me, which I got, but then fucked up my senior year and was ineligible to play or have the grades to take the scholarship I was getting offered.

We're really in agreement, then. I just got a little to over the top with the way I was saying it! LOL

Sux to hear about that screw up. I bet you'll remember that forever... :(

I think kids that are able to handle it should have to work to HELP with school costs. Not to pay for it all, but to help out.

Anyway, I'll stop the hijack....

Maybe look for a catering company or something? From what I hear, it's pretty easy work, and pay is decent.

I used to clean a day-care at night. $10/hour, and they paid me for 3 hours a night. I could finish in ~2 hours most nights, because i hussled my ass off, and wasn't an overweight housewife (their primary employee demographic). still got paid for 3 hours, because that was what they based their estimate on, and no one was around to supervise me.

any kind of office building would be a decent cleaning gig, and not interfere with your classes. I think office buildings would be cake. Empty garbage, sweep, vacuum, and dust as needed... The day care had juice spills and required mopping nightly. avoid schools.

I work for a company that owns a cleaning franchise (I didn't actually clean for that company though), and employee turnover is ridiculous in the cleaning industry. Any employer will probably be happy you're looking to work off hours (not while your kid is in school), and love that you show up on time, every time - although one of the thigns i liked about after-hours cleaning is that I could get the work done any time between 6 PM and 4 AM, as long as the floors were dry before people showed up for the following work day.

check CL, and reply to their ads. Hell, they may hire a guy just to lift 'heavy' stuff like vacuum cleaners, and ease the fears of the over-sensitive women who freak out being alone in a large building at night.

Temp agencies may also be able to find you good work. I worked for Adecco a couple times, and they always struggled to find me a job ...until they found out I could pass a drug test. Then I had 3-4 offers a week.

Cmon guys... you're being a bit too sensitive and getting off topic.

Yes I have student loans, subsidized ones where I wont have to pay capitalized interest until after I graduate. My point is that I don't want to have to take any private loans.

Lookin like food service or cleaning...

Sorry,man. I'd definitely go for pizza delivery, but I'm not sure about delivering in "over the rhine" or around UC. I'd do it out of downtown. A ritzy area like WestChester is good.

We're really in agreement, then. I just got a little to over the top with the way I was saying it! LOL

I think that's why I took it the wrong way. Sorry if my reply seemed agressive. :cheers: