There is no global warming. Fuck off hippies.

Casper

"where's all this global warming we've been hearing so much about? It's January in Cleveland, and i'm fucking freezing. I'm standing outside with an aerosol can just going to town... SCREW THE GRANDKIDS! I'M COLD NOW!" - Drew Carey, circa 1994

wasn't it "CFC" that was supposed to destroy us last decade? Chlorafloracarbonates (sp?), right?

Weren't we all supposed to die of bird flu about 3 years ago? I remember Johnny Drama making a joke about avian flu in 'Entourage' a few seasons back. Ask me how concerned I am about swine flu...

A single volcanic eruption puts more CO2 into our atmosphere than 200,000 years of automobile exhaust (at the 2008 rate of CO2 production anyway). Any notion that we can dramatically affect the global climate is almost arrogant.

Edited by redkow97

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"where's all this global warming we've been hearing so much about? It's January in Cleveland, and i'm fucking freezing. I'm standing outside with an aerosol can just going to town... SCREW THE GRANDKIDS! I'M COLD NOW!" - Drew Carey, circa 1994

one of my absolute favorite episodes, I must use that line wayyyy too much in the winter

wasn't it "CFC" that was supposed to destroy us last decade? Chlorafloracarbonates (sp?), right?

Weren't we all supposed to die of bird flu about 3 years ago? I remember Johnny Drama making a joke about avian flu in 'Entourage' a few seasons back. Ask me how concerned I am about swine flu...

A single volcanic eruption puts more CO2 into our atmosphere than 200,000 years of automobile exhaust (at the 2008 rate of CO2 production anyway). Any notion that we can dramatically affect the global climate is almost arrogant.

+1 absolutely right

^--- you can do better than Fox news Pauly. I know you can.

White House: Fox News Is 'A Wing Of The Republican Party'

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/10/white-house-fox-news-is-a-wing-of-the-republican-party.php

My $1.43 on this issue... think of the world like a morbidly obese person. Our "contribution" to the global warming is like feeding him a Big Mac. Is it helpful? Probably not, but at this point what's one more Big Mac? So, we're not fixing the problem, and may make it ever-so-slightly worse, but how much worse.... meh, jury is still out.

:rolleyes:

http://environment.about.com/od/greenhouseeffect/a/volcano-gas.htm

According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide. Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.

I guess you guys still believe the earth is a disc too!!! :p

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1206_041206_global_warming.html

I'm not debating that global warming happens, or is happening - I just don't think humans have nearly as much effect on it as some scientists seem to believe.

I think the string of article links both sides are coming up with illustrate one uniform conclusion here: THERE IS NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE EITHER WAY.

agree to disagree, and move on. I try to lower my carbon footprint regardless of whether it's causing global warming.

If anyone cares...

1. The record high temperatures were in 1998. World temperatures peaked that year. The annual average temperatures have been less than the records of that year. That doesn't say which way the temperatures are going in the long run, just that the current long term averages are declining.

2. I keep hearing everyone at work saying it will be a harsh Winter. So I looked it up at the gov NOAA forecasting website. They say above normal temperatures, and slightly below normal precipitation for this Winter.

I'm not debating that global warming happens, or is happening - I just don't think humans have nearly as much effect on it as some scientists seem to believe.

I think the string of article links both sides are coming up with illustrate one uniform conclusion here: THERE IS NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE EITHER WAY.

agree to disagree, and move on. I try to lower my carbon footprint regardless of whether it's causing global warming.

:plus1:

It's not a BAD thing to reduce our "carbon footprint" (I'll quit stepping in coal?) but to do it at such high costs is not much of a good idea. Demanding "reform" immediately" isn't going to do it. People cannot afford to go go completely "green" right away. As more efficient technologies develop (as they have been anyway) prices come down, and people buy into stuff. Until then, we'll leave it to Ed Begley Jr. to buy it.

Reply to point 1: too bad for Global Warming.

Reply to point 2: thank God for Global Warming.

Exactly, facts support both suppositions.

Opinion: Temperatures on the Earth are regulated by the Sun, by it's effects in regulating the amounts of cosmic rays that make it past the Van Allen Belt and impact the Earth's upper atmosphere. That it turn produces more or less cloud cover, which in turn raises or lowers the Earth's temperature. This is in addition to changes in the raw output of the Sun itself. Which may or may not be a result of sunspots on the Sun.

No matter what happens on Earth, it doesn't compare to a change that may or may not happen with the Sun's ability to do this. Credibility for this effect is beginning to be found in measurements of temperatures on all the planets. Which appear to indicate a rise in temperatures wherever such records are being observed. So far it's been temperatures on the Moon, Mars, Some places around Jupiter and Saturn, and even some preliminary data from out around the outer planets. So who the heck knows for sure what is going on. But so far, none of these planets are going to up and die from these changes.

There was a very warm spell back in the Middle Ages. So warm that three crops were grown during the year, instead of two. The weather turned mild, without storms. Effectively, there was no Winter. Is this bad? Or is this good? Is this what will happen now?

Also consider that multiple Ice Ages have occurred. And that the ocean levels have gone as high as 800 feet up and 300 feet down from what we have now. Most of these type changes take Centuries to Millenniums to occur.

If we really want to regulate temperatures, we quit fooling around, and build a sunshade to put in orbit around the Sun at the Lagrange point L1 between the Earth and the Sun. It wouldn't have to be very big to regulate temperatures and adjust them downward on the Earth. It can't raise temperatures, forget about trying that.

If you don't know what is wrong with trying to put up a sunshade, it's the Sun. It would just try and push that sunshade away with much force. It would be difficult to balance the pull of the Sun's gravity against the push of the Sun's output. While trying to make changes to actually regulate anything.

for what its worth... i'm pretty sure we're all gonna die from something like a nuclear holocaust not global warming...

Or population damage. Any large population of critters makes itself a target for other critters, large and small. I mean large populations are out of proportion in Nature, and that Nature will take care of the problem. In the case of Humans, the quick way is with an epidemic.

(or zombies...)

Or population damage. Any large population of critters makes itself a target for other critters, large and small. I mean large populations are out of proportion in Nature, and that Nature will take care of the problem. In the case of Humans, the quick way is with an epidemic.

(or zombies...)

Zombies please.

I think the carbon argument is retarded. Who really knows? I think that global warming is a crock, so i do what i want. Someone else may think its the worst thing for our world, so they dont do "the bad things." Who cares really?

Besides Al Gore of course. I would be stoned for doing what i do if it were up to him.