clutch Stiction

palandor

I have a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500c LTD (yes, a cruiser) and am having an issue with the clutch and stiction. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get rid of it or improve the situation.

For example, when the bike is cold, I have to shift the bike into neutral in order to move it. It will not roll in first gear while pulling in the clutch lever. (this also makes roll-starting very difficult.)

When the bike is hot and I have just shut it off, I can roll it while in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. After about a minute or so, I have to exert a lot of effort to overcome stiction or I have to put it into neutral.

Shifting when first starting up can also be a bit grabby.

Last oil/filter change was about 2,500 miles ago with motorcycle oil this past spring. Bike has just over 9,000 miles on it; I bought it about 2 years ago when it had 5400 miles on the odometer. Overall I"m not sure if it's my clutch plates, springs, something else, or if I just need to change the oil more frequently.

Anyone have any helpful advice on what to do?

Thanks,

Brian

this is normal. my ex500 (same basic engine/tranny) does that. its pretty normal with a wet clutch, which is more often than not on motorcycles. the oil drains out and the clutch plates stick together. when you first start it up, there isnt any oil between the clutch plates, which is why the shifting is a bit grabby at first too. once you start moving, everything gets oily.

when you have it in gear, clutch in, and its sticking, you can rock it back and forth a bit until it unsticks.

id just leave it in neutral when i park personally.

this is normal. my ex500 (same basic engine/tranny) does that. its pretty normal with a wet clutch, which is more often than not on motorcycles. the oil drains out and the clutch plates stick together. when you first start it up, there isnt any oil between the clutch plates, which is why the shifting is a bit grabby at first too. once you start moving, everything gets oily.

when you have it in gear, clutch in, and its sticking, you can rock it back and forth a bit until it unsticks.

id just leave it in neutral when i park personally.

The me restate what I said earlier, the older Ninja 250's are that way, as in 2007 and older. They did something in the new ones to make that go away.

I don't leave my bike parked in neutral, there's not a lot holding it up anyway, and keeping it in first gear is one more thing to keep it from moving, and possibly spllling over.

Just my $.02 though.

It always does that, but seems that it recently started doing it even more.

Thanks John for the advice about rocking; I try that but it takes quite a bit. I'll remember that. Also, sometimes in the garage I leave it in neutral but that's about it.

Siggywiggy, Why Amsoil? How is it different from regular Motorcycle Oil? (Say, Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10w40?)

CycleSearch would you suggestion 10w30 for winter riding? (it's got 10w40 in it now.)

Thanks everyone,

-Brian