Anyone have a "sport sedan" I can borrow for a weekend? Lutz CTS-V Challenge

Disclaimer

And you'd still have to dump some money in to make them handle as well as the CTS-V out of the box.

Finally I disagree with something you said! The EVO is one of the best handling cars on the road, period. I do know what you're saying about the construction, I have a feeling if you take the paint off the metal will have pepsi logos on it. It's all relative, I'd prefer BMW's construction but apparently the V is a tad faster. Same with a hopped up Evo.

Skidpad:

Evo IX- .98g

EVO X - .99g

Old V- .87g

New V- .92g

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally I disagree with something you said! The EVO is one of the best handling cars on the road, period. I do know what you're saying about the construction, I have a feeling if you take the paint off the metal will have pepsi logos on it. It's all relative, I'd prefer BMW's construction but apparently the V is a tad faster. Same with a hopped up Evo.

Skidpad:

Evo IX- .98g

EVO X - .99g

Old V- .87g

New V- .92g

I agree with your facts, I don't however agree with your opinion here --> "The EVO is one of the best handling cars on the road, period." I highly doubt that. I've driven them, nice but nothing special. Handling isn't based on skidpad numbers alone.

BTW, you've been waiting for this day haven't you. :lol:

I still say the ol' C5 Z06 is one of the best handling, most powerful budget track cars you can buy right now. 405 HP, 0-60 in 2.9, 1/4 in 12.4 or less, 3,115lbs, and sublime handling. I'd pick a stock C5 convertible in the handling department over the EVO any day.

Edited by RSVDon

Depends how you drive it, you've got to stay in the throttle or that AWD does you no good. It'll understeer like a pig. It's more than numbers sure, but just from Auto-X experience I know the EVO has an advantage in quick transitions too.

Yes, and now that the day is finally here . . . I just feel empty :rolleyes:

Oh and we're talking sedans here, but yeah the Vette will make your brain run out of your ears.

I still say the ol' C5 Z06 is one of the best handling, most powerful budget track cars you can buy right now. 405 HP, 0-60 in 2.9, 1/4 in 12.4 or less, 3,115lbs, and sublime handling. I'd pick a stock C5 convertible in the handling department over the EVO any day.

truth! They are such amazing cars, I was never a big Vette fan until I got to drive my buddies 01, after that I was hooked. If I can get my G35 sold a C5 is at the top of my shopping list come end of winter/spring

The new AWD SHO is interesting but with sticker prices at $46,000 there are better buys. I wonder if they are getting sticker for them the first year.
A regular 3.6L CTS would be a MUCH better buy at that price point.

completely accurate

Have you seen the SHO in person? They are massive. I'm about 5-10" and the top of the trunk sits at chest level and the top of the hood just below. I didn't get to drive it but sat in it and just felt like a tank. Not sure how nimble something like that will handle

Not sure how nimble something like that will handle

It doesn't and it's not nimble. And for $46,000 I'd rather go the extra $10k and get one of the only high volume production cars on the road standard with six-piston monobloc calipers. :wackit:

Mmmmm, I loves me some big fuckin' brakes.

Although I have 6 cars and 2 have gm motors and one is about to have a gm motor so I cant shit on them to hard I suppose. Thoughmy blazer is on its 3rd motor. spun a crank bearing on both motors on the same lobe.

Although I have 6 cars and 2 have gm motors and one is about to have a gm motor so I cant shit on them to hard I suppose. Thoughmy blazer is on its 3rd motor. spun a crank bearing on both motors on the same lobe.

You should get a 400 block and then buy the crank I've got for sale.

I'll let Dweez come in here and preach to you the LSx motor gospel

I'm done preaching. You can't fix ignorant. that's like me believing Ford still makes a good truck because at one point in time they had the 9" out back and 44's out front, and the IH 7.3 under the hood... (drum roll please)

and as for the ford vs chevy thing, I'll say this. I've seen PLENTY of LSx motors in all sorts of Mustangs, I've never seen a mod motor in anything GM.

Jaguar Pusses Out Of Jalopnik Vs. GM Race

500x_locat_4.jpgJaguar PR just called saying they've withdrawn their pledge to let Wes race the XFR Thursday against GM's Bob Lutz in a Cadillac CTS-V. Apparently, not because they're afraid to lose, they're afraid the XFR just can't take it. Pussies.

It's true. Stuart Schorr, Jaguar's main product PR man, told us flat out he expected the XFR would lose to the CTS-V, so it's not that he's afraid to lose to "Maximum" Bob Lutz.

Instead, they're afraid the XFR can't handle the strain. Specifically, the brakes. Without better brake cooling, Schorr tells us his folks are concerned the XFR just cant put the necessary laps in.

So what does this mean for us? Well, it means we're still racing Lutz — except now, since Mercedes and now Jaguar weren't willing to stand by their product for five laps in a time attack race versus the CTS-V, we're beginning to believe the CTS-V is the only production luxury sedan on the market wiling to stand by its lofty claims of performance cred. So we'll race against Lutz using his own CTS-V — and probably the Evo we'll drive up there in.

Unless, of course, some other automaker's less feline than those we've already tried. Any automaker want to put their fast four-door where their mouth is — e-mail me.