T-Rex Frame Sliders

SWing'R

Ok, so I just received a set of T-Rex frame sliders I ordered. So now I need to install them.

The instructions refer to the bolts as M10x50mm, 45 and 90mm. So is "M10" the size allen wrench I need to get to mount these?

And it mentions tightening the bolts to 30ft/lb as per the engine manufacturers spec. Soooo, do I need like a torque wrench or somethin?

I can deal with electrical things, but I'm not really "mechanically" talented :o

bring it over to the garage day im having (check the events in central). i have a torque wrench and allen head sockets. i can help you put them on.

I would rep you if i could... but... you know... repeating the joke would be:beathorse:

Jesus... You guys who do the "goodntight" or 1/4 turn after tight are asking for serious problems and hopefully you're not helping wrench on other people's bikes.

First, typically the sliders mount and replace engine mounting bolts. Mounting bolts that go into the motor - you know, that's made of aluminum?

Seriously, you need to be using a torque wrench. If you strip an engine mount, you have some serious issues.

It's like watching the guys tighten triple clamps. The two tweeks and a grunt method is recipe for disaster...

Jesus... You guys who do the "goodntight" or 1/4 turn after tight are asking for serious problems and hopefully you're not helping wrench on other people's bikes.

First, typically the sliders mount and replace engine mounting bolts. Mounting bolts that go into the motor - you know, that's made of aluminum?

Seriously, you need to be using a torque wrench. If you strip an engine mount, you have some serious issues.

It's like watching the guys tighten triple clamps. The two tweeks and a grunt method is recipe for disaster...

I concur, there are some things you can screw with and some you shouldnt. If you are going into the engine, you prob shouldnt. Can you and get away with it? Yes, but always safer with the torque wrench.

never had any problems out of my motor mount/frame sliders. Thats just like anyone on here who has a honda car and doesnt use a torque wrench puttting the oil drain plug in. The pan is aluminium, how many people break out a torque wrench for that?

never had any problems out of my motor mount/frame sliders. Thats just like anyone on here who has a honda car and doesnt use a torque wrench puttting the oil drain plug in. The pan is aluminium, how many people break out a torque wrench for that?

Keep using that logic and let us know how it goes for you. As stated before, hopefully, you guys aren't "helping" others out there working on their bikes.

Torque on an integral part like a frame bolt is different than an oil pan drain bolt. However, I suggest a torque wrench for that, as well. Seen a few cracked due to over tightening...

Drain bolt at 16.5 lbs and a motor mount at anywhere between 40-50+ lbs... I know, I know... You can FEEL how tight that needs to be right?:rolleyes:

A torque wrench isn't used to make sure you get it "tight enough." It's purpose is to keep you from over tightening a fastener. Most times when you don't use a torque wrench you have over tightened the fastener.

Ding ding ding...........we have a weiner!!!

Dam brian i have worked on hundreds of bikes... Maybe the masses should be scared i have their bolts on too tight... To each their own.

Not to bash you, but just because you have experience, doesn't mean that experience is right or was done correctly. Years of experience could mean years of doing it wrong or half attempts. I've built a lot of model airplanes, but I wouldn't consider myself an aeronautical engineer...

If you are serious about racing and actually winning and doing a series well AND not to mention coach and have people follow your lead, per say, you NEED, I mean N E E D to do things right and use the proper tools.

It isn't "to each their own". You're on a track with me and shit is half assed put together? We've got issues at the start. Your ignorance/poor workmanship can easily cause someone to get seriously hurt or even killed. Sounds harsh, but this sport is measured in milliseconds and tolerances that are so small that even the slightest mistake or short cut can mean serious consequences...

Again, you're a good guy, Brandon, but you need to look a little more at the big picture. Especially with the responsibility you have now.

As for the street guys out there? Do what you want, but understand that you are placing your life in the hands of things that are designed and measured to be done a certain way. It could end up simple and you drop a motor mount bolt out and just drop HP as the motor is slightly tweeked in the frame. Or, it could move JUST enough to allow the counter shaft to bind and crack the lower crankcase and shoot oil out on your rear tire as you ride.

We had a guy that had a GSXR that didn't get the rear set of motor mount bolts assembled correctly from the factory. Why would he check that, right? But it did just as I described and it almost sent him on the ground when it swapped the rear multiple times from the oil loss. He saved it, but had he been on the street and that happened? He could have been in the on coming lane easily trying to wrestle a 400 pound bike heading straight for an oncoming car...

Terrible logic, but it only takes once. You can have times where it doesn't matter and maybe you'll never have issues. However, I don't like gambling...

Good sliders, I have them on my ZX10, Karlas F4i and Ashley (Gooner) ZX14, All were no-cut one too

Yeah these are "no-cut" also. I got a good deal on them thru a group purchase with the FZ6R Forum I belong to, got them for $39.

Dang guys' date=' how did such a simple thread turn into all of this? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the good advice.[/quote']

It got turned into what it did because there are those giving advice on a public forum that is simply not good information. Unfortunately, some people out there read the internet and do as they are told because they don't know any better.

Thankfully, there are those that are able to hopefully shed some light on the issue and force them to research a little more closely. I get called a lot of names for standing up and making sure ill info isn't being pointed out, but if I can get one guy to do it the way it should be done, it's a success...

...but if I can get one guy to do it the way it should be done, it's a success...

I agree. I'll be taking my bike to Hoblicks garage this weekend to have him help me put them on using his torque wrench and sockets.

Would it also be a good idea to put a little lock-tight on the threads of the bolts when installing them? Or just torque 'em up as spec'd.