car audio suggestions?

drumbtzz

so i recently got a gti and im lookin to get some subs since i finally have a car with enough space to fit a box...i havent been into the car audio scene in a while and i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on brands or whatever to look into...im hopin to get this all done for around $500-550.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yea i know alpine is a good brand...as well as rocksford fosgate (however u spell it) and orion too...im more-or-less lookin for suggestions on actual subs + amp for my budget...im really hopin to get a setup of around 1,000-1,400 watts

id go with a new jl slash series amp same technology as the rip series but a little cheaper on the pocket and 1 12w3 wouldnt be in the 1400 watt range but I am not sure if you know how loud that really is. I had 2 10w7 and each sub had its own 500/1 pushing it. It was in a 93 toyota xtended cab and it would hurt you.

the real question to answer is sq or spl? My wifes truck is set up for sound quality. 3 mtx 10's and mtx 300.1d my truck was set up for spl 2 10w7 and 2 500/1 It all depends on what you are after. Do yourself a favor build a box to match your subs not buy a prefab box.

the real question to answer is sq or spl? My wifes truck is set up for sound quality. 3 mtx 10's and mtx 300.1d my truck was set up for spl 2 10w7 and 2 500/1 It all depends on what you are after. Do yourself a favor build a box to match your subs not buy a prefab box.

hahaha...you are so speakin greek to me

uh, both? lol...if i had to choose id say for quality cause im not goin to have it cranked 24/7, but at the same time i would like to have the power available to me where if i do crank it you can hear me a couple blocks away without loosing any beats...i woulda thought that would be everyone's goal when gettin subs..

uh, both? lol...if i had to choose id say for quality cause im not goin to have it cranked 24/7, but at the same time i would like to have the power available to me where if i do crank it you can hear me a couple blocks away without loosing any beats...i woulda thought that would be everyone's goal when gettin subs..

I think that was reserved for HS.

Post-HS it's all about quality. (if I ever decide to get into it again)

redirecting you to another forum that can help you better:

www.diymobileaudio.com

www.caraudioforum.com

Been a member of both for years, and there's plenty of stickies and FAQs to help you.

Might check out www.cadencesound.com for amps, they also have a decent component set for $80.

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=126&idproduct=194

When looking for amplification, dont buy a no-namer. ZED Audio, zuki, elem des,

Sub:

http://www.diycable.com/main/default.php?cPath=24&Cid=9d5d8db11b52cff9b4fd0c25a186b936

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/

They all make a quality woofer

will add more later.

i am an mtx guy...never have i had an issue with mtx and the sound is great.

I agree, MTX is not bad at all for your budget. You can keep and eye out for an amp/speaker combo, or you can figure out what you need and try to get a better deal.

I have 2x10's and a 500 Watt amp that is mounted to the speaker cab. I paid like $600.00 for the combo about 8 years ago and I have never had a problem with it.. I have had it in 3 diffrent cars now, I had it connected to my system in my old focus that had a very expensive set up and I had it connected to my stock stereo in my Explorer. It adds some nice bass to my entire system no matter what the quality of the head unit is.

im gonna look at some you guys suggest online when i get home, im at work on my phone right now i just figured this way i could have some options to look at by then

Edited by drumbtzz
accidentally double posted, changed post

both is not really achievable it is but you have to sacrifice sound quality for spl and vice versa. I have been building stereos for about 8 years and have but a lot that have great sq and still thump hard but its not 3 block away ghetto blaster. I would run a nice quality 12 and a solid 300-400 watt amp.

um both? i plan on keeping it low 95% of the time so quality is a must but i want the option where if i do crank it you can hear me a block or two away...i fig that would be everyone's goal

Let me check at my parents house to see if my box with 2 mtx 12's are still there and they didn't throw them away. If they are you can have them and the box for nothing. They hit pretty damn well (and I only had a cheapo jensen 400w amp and when "tuned" properly are great for SQL which was my biggest reasoning to get them with my old car. All you would need to do is get an amp then

edit: you MAY need a new box however, not exactly sure how much of a difference a bandpass box is in a hatch. Mine was in my trunk

I took two of the ultra excursion series 12's on trade they weigh like 30lbs each http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/pages/woofers.html

And 2 alpine v12 amps that are about 2 feet long each.... I know the amps retailed for almost 1000 each if i could get 300 for it all its yours