Buell

RSVDon

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this interesting tidbit for all you Buell owners:

SPARK PLUG CLEANING PROCEDURE

2008 XB and 1125R Buell motorcycles provide a feature to help clear residual fuel from the combustion chamber if a flooded engine or fouled spark plugs are suspected. This is achieved by opening the throttle to wide open, setting the Run/Stop switch to Run, then turning the ignition switch ON. This will fire the spark plugs for approximately 4 seconds, burning any fuel left over in the combustion chamber. It may be necessary to repeat this procedure several times to allow a severely flooded engine to start.

NOTE: Motorcycle should be in Neutral.

Similar procedure in my new Honda manual. You might want to read your 10 manual I bet it's in there too.

I said Honda.

Don't see it.

Congrats on the bike!

I've never noticed the EFI disable in either of my XB's manuals, but I've also never had an issue with fouling. Doubt you will either.

My trade-in was just finalized. So my XB is gone. I still have my Corbin Gunfighter. Let me know if you if you are looking to upgrade seats, I'll cut you a deal. If not, I'll be posting it on Badweb.

Congrats on the bike!

I've never noticed the EFI disable in either of my XB's manuals, but I've also never had an issue with fouling. Doubt you will either.

My trade-in was just finalized. So my XB is gone. I still have my Corbin Gunfighter. Let me know if you if you are looking to upgrade seats, I'll cut you a deal. If not, I'll be posting it on Badweb.

I've never had an issue with fouling plugs on an FI bike. I just thought it was odd that the proceedure even existed...but after reflecting I can see where it would come in handy.

I'll take a look at the Corbin. Send me a link if you have a picture.

I have little seat time so far. Initial impressions are: The riding position is more comfortable than my F4i. The motor feels strong, although I am breaking it in slow. The chasis and suspension are my main concerns and those are top notch.

OK...now that I have actually left my neighborhood, here is my first impression:

HOLY SHIT! Tons of power & I haven't gotten past 6k, per the breakin instructions (redline is 10.5 k). At 70 mph, in 6th the motor is at just 4,100 rpms, with a 1/2 throttle roll on it pulls like a freight train. I can't comment on the top end yet, but the low end is impressive!

This is ALOT of motorcycle. If you are considering one, go for a test ride.

Tod, no hookey for me tomorrow. I have a new position at work and couldn't be busier.

There is this - 2008 1125R (130 hp w/ 74 ft*lbs):

146_0809_07_z+2008_buell_1125R+horsepower_torque_chart.jpg

Or for $700 more, there's this (CBR w/ 20 more hp and 4 more ft*lbs):

146_0806_30_z+2008_literbike_comparison_test+horsepower.jpg

146_0806_34_z+2008_literbike_comparison_test+torque.jpg

Pro/Con Buell Arguments:

Pro - End of an era / Timeless classic

Pro - Unique (-ly ugly, but gotta love it)

Pro - Supposed to handle awesome

Pro - Vtwin

Pro - A riders' bike

Pro - Technology (Dry sump, Fuel in frame, ZTL brakes)

Pro - Potential resale????

Con - HD Service / Parts

Con - Engine performance

Con - Already own a Vtwin, want to diversify the stable

Pro/Con CBR Arguments:

Pro - MOAR POWER and TORQUE (which would make up for my lack of skill)

Pro - Literbike shootout winner for 2008 and 2009

Pro - Aftermarket / Parts

Pro - Never owned a literbike (I'm thinking it's like having a better handling 'busa)

Con - Styling/Rarity (Ugliest liter bike - owl face, and everyone and their brother has one, no big deal)

Con - Becomes outdated every 2 years

I'm at a stalemate. Please help. Or, I will end up with NO bikes (though I am quite happy with my 'busa and SV - I must feed the addiction)

Ideally, someone that can compare the SV to the Buell and someone to compare the Buell to a CBR... from experience.

Edited by JRMMiii

the weights are a bit deceiving because of the higher fuel capacity of the buell. I believe that the dry weight of the buell should be lower than the CBR. If you read the buell forums about 10hp and a good amount of torque can be had by tuning, I guess they had to be a bit lean to meet emissions.

Sell you SV and get the 1125r

sell your "busa" and get the 1000rr