Bike Communications

neohiofan

I have a new job at work where I am on call 24/7. This makes my bike riding days unpleasent. I need a getup that I can work bluetooth. I want it for Voice dial on my Iphone, & rider to passenger talk without any cords.

I have considered the following & was wondering what your recommendations or suggestions on other brands are.

1. XBi2 Wireless Bike to Bike Intercom Kit / Chatterbox

2. SCALA RIDER Q2 Bike to Bike Intercom, Single or Multi-Set

3. SCALA RIDER TeamSet Bluetooth MP3 Intercom (CARDO)

4. Blueant Bluetooth Wireless Motorcycle Helmet Headset

I only need it to pair with 2 other things

1. phone

2. passenger

My big concern for spending the money these units cost are at highway speeds & not hearing phone calls.. I will be wearing a full face helmet. I was leaning towards the Chatterbox xbi2 but it only dials last call & does not support voice dialing.

Look forward to hearing everyone's comments.

2. SCALA RIDER Q2 Bike to Bike Intercom, Single or Multi-Set

I have the multi-set. It works great, but I'd say you need a windshield if you want to use it at freeway speed. It's gets a little hard to hear on my Z1000. The part the bluetooth device mounts to broke after two years of use, but I have the spare one still.

I would most likely push you toward the Midland BT2

the two largest reasons

-it has a high volume level

-does voice dialing, stereo auto

Out of the Scala, xbi, and bt2, It also has the best audio quality, there are also upgrade speakers you can buy for another 40 bucks.

ChatterBox is easier to work but has less features.

I have demo units at Iron Pony that you can come in and play with. I would be glad to personally show you how they work and what the features are.We have the scala q2,multiset,teamset,fm,and solo instock, as well as midland BT2,BT1, ChatterBox xbi 1 and 2.

Derek

I have the multi-set. It works great, but I'd say you need a windshield if you want to use it at freeway speed. It's gets a little hard to hear on my Z1000. The part the bluetooth device mounts to broke after two years of use, but I have the spare one still.

The Scala units are know for weak speakers, most complain about lose of sound after about 55 on most bikes.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for some inexpensive (less than $50/unit) bike-to-bike communication devices for occasional use. It looks like bluetooth might be the way to go since I only need to communicate at 50 feet or less. I've always wondered why one bluetooth headset couldn't directly connect to another bluetooth headset. This is the only product I've ever seen that does it (they call it D2D):

http://www.n1wireless.com/Jawbone_Bluetooth-callpod_Dragon_dual_mic_Bluetooth_Headset.html

There's a version 1 of the product that seems to have some problems that are fixed in the version 2.

http://www.callpod.com/products/dragon

Anyone have experience with the Dragon units?

Edited by newOldUser

i have the Chatterbox XBI (original)

for listening to the radio (i have a bluetooth dongle connected to my sirius satalite radio) it works great even at highway speeds.

for talking via cell phone its not so great, the person on the other line can hear me good at speeds like 70 mph, but above 60mph i have a hard time hearing them. type of helmet also plays a roll in what you can and cant hear.

i hardly ever use the cell phone while riding though. jsut for music or rider to passenger communication

I'm so confused-- I keep my (plain ole) cellphone in my jacket's inside pocket on vibrate-- when my left nipple buzzes, I pull over and see who's calling. All these gadgets seem awfully involved.

As for passengers-- isn't the whole point to NOT have to hear her for awhile? The girl taps me on the shoulder if she needs to stop, grabs my shoulders when she's scared, and headbutts me when I brake too hard. Exactly what more do you need?