Barber October 25th track day. 1098s crash

vw151

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( ... AH man that sucks... Id cry..... Thats why I don't track my duc... Wish I had unlimited funds to do so....

you pussy.i lowside in turn 5 on saturday.before i know rear tire try outrun the front.i slide 20 feet, bike too.bike was ok.i have perfect sunday.

Knowing Mike it will be back on the track come April/May!

Very true story Carie! I talked to Mike last night for a few. Said his neck is still a lil sore but other than that, he is doing just fine. Low siding blows. But shit happends. If this was a hot ass summer day, he would of been fine. But the track was still a little cold and well... the tires didnt like that.

Not that I'm Ricky Racer or anything' date=' but a little less lean angle and a little more 'getting off the bike' would have saved that corner.

Glad he's alright and the Duc doesn't look too bad. Now it's got street credit!! WooT!![/quote']

It was mostly the fact that the track was still cool, and he only had a lap or two complete. The dude that passed him on the inside got in his head and he wanted to catch him so he dropped the hammer. Now, if Mike had already done 3 or 4 laps it would of been aight, but his tires were not hot enough and the track was cold. NOT a good combo. But yea, he was leaning the shit outta the bike in that corner. Add is all up and see above for what happens. Oh well, its only a bike :( A gorgeous bike :(

Definitely a cold track. It was still in the low 50s and was just starting to warm up. it was 38 when we showed up about an hour and a half before.

I do agree mike could get out of the seat a little more but who am I to criticize. he is getting into the high 1:30s at mid-OH so he must be doing something right.

You also have to remember, Mike is an old man with arthritis and a sore back he can only get so far off the bike ;) JK.

Different riding styles for different folks, really what it comes down to is track was cold and Mike forgot when someone passed him real fast. Funny how the competitive nature will make us do dumb shit. how else you gonna learn though right.

You know, it's kinda crazy what works for different people. I'm still blown away by the lean angle Matt Carr was running at Mid-OH this summer and he was running consistent 1:33s on this 748R. Check out this picture where he is about to overtake this dude. The dude has perfect body position and Matt is the huge dude behind him running insane lean angle. It worked for him! Not saying it's "correct" but like I said who am I to criticize when I am still running in the 1:50s.

IMG_7290.jpg

Here is another

IMG_7353.jpg

He ended up winning both races, even in spite of a drive thru penalty he had to serve. It was really cool to watch the unorthodox riding style and ballsy passes that made it happen. Always fun to see the fast dude have to come up through the field from the back.

?action=view&current=IMG_7353.jpg

Edited by vw151

Matt is slow, I mean anyone can go out on a 748R thats 10 years old and smoke people on brand new 1098s and 1198s. Thats nothing! :rolleyes:

This, ladies and gents, is why Matt is the only one who touches my bike if Im not doing the work myself. Indy Ducati FTW! :D

Just for reference Here are some pics of mike at Mid-OH in the keyhole and then in turn 8, which is the same place I took the pics of Matt. That wide angle lens on the gopro distorts things so it's hard to say what his riding position looks like.

keyhole

IMG_6551.jpg

turn 8

IMG_6994.jpg

IMG_6995.jpg

He gets off more than Matt but not as much as some others. I dunno, like I said, if it works for him then great.