Barber October 25th track day. 1098s crash

vw151

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clear the air.. I never said Mike can't ride. I said if he were off the bike he would have probably been ok. He was leaning the hell out of that bike. It's easy to armchair quarterback' date=' but I wasn't there. I am only making comment based on my observation of the video that was posted.

Those pics of the 748R are insane. There's no way he's running street tires and holding that lean angle/body position. (right??) If so, let me know what he's running and I'll buy that tire from now on.

Matt Carr can't be that fast.. he's chasing a Buell. :lol:

SRSLY, concerning Mike's riding (minus this last corner) all I can do is.. :bow:[/quote']

I wasn't picking on you.

I just wanted to put some information out because I know how this forum is. I actually agree with you, I think he could have been out of the seat more but like I said, he's faster than me so what can I say.

Matt was running a dunlop race tire. He said they were incredible. You can probably also rest assured that that bike is super dialed in since it's his older race bike that he has had for 10 years and he makes his living at dialing in motors and suspension. His 848 burnt up a main bearing that day so that's why he was running his 748R.

It's all good but "IP" is right, for the track conditions i should have been out of the saddle more and taken it easier on the throttle.... dumb mistake.

Thanks again Joe for the awesome job of putting that video together. You and Steven rock, thanks for putting up with me.:cheers:

Here's the damage, i think it'll buff out.....:D

file.php?id=499

file.php?id=500

file.php?id=501

Here are a couple more videos. Clearly Steven and I aren't as fast as mike but the gopro is still cool.

This is me leading Steven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1sOrkrWgL8

This one is Steven's ass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopvGJV9j-E

BTW.... gixxie750, I'm really starting to like that bike now. I had a lot of fun and finally got back in the swing of things, I just wish it wasn't October because I want to ride more now that my shoulder is better.

Edited by vw151

Thanks again Joe for the awesome job of putting that video together. You and Steven rock, thanks for putting up with me.:cheers:

Thanks Mike....I'm glad you and Joe were able to make the trip again...I'd really like to make it a bi-annual tradition so to speak. I really hate that you went down but I'm glad you were not hurt! I am already looking forward to a possible trip down in March...esp after each time I watch Joe's videos.....Thanks for the videos Joe!!

Exactly! Everyone with no trackday experience sucks and cant ride. We are all worthless and should bow at the feet of anybody who has ever set a wheel on the track. :bow:

GAY!!!

Not a bad idea, I was just going to limit it to people with cruisers, but I like that even better. :D

Very true story Carie! I talked to Mike last night for a few. Said his neck is still a lil sore but other than that, he is doing just fine. Low siding blows. But shit happends. If this was a hot ass summer day, he would of been fine. But the track was still a little cold and well... the tires didnt like that.

He trailed too much brake or was slightly off throttle. That turn gets them every time... Cold had nothing to do with it.

What about the epic cold tires thread?:bigfinger:

Cold tires don't crash riders. sure, it has some weight at times when pushing, but it is amazing at what that right wrist controls...

We were up at Grattan the weekend before with temps so cold, there was frost on the grass in the morning... The temps never got above 50 the first day and was windy. Times were not too far off typical track day pace...

Point is that rider error is what caused the crash. tough pill to swallow at times and tough to honestly say, but even with people criticising the riding style, it isn't what caused it. Mike rides well and his riding style is fine. He loaded the front by either throttle or trailing too much brake. I vote trailing too much as that corner is notorious for it...

Cold tires don't crash riders. sure, it has some weight at times when pushing, but it is amazing at what that right wrist controls...

We were up at Grattan the weekend before with temps so cold, there was frost on the grass in the morning... The temps never got above 50 the first day and was windy. Times were not too far off typical track day pace...

Point is that rider error is what caused the crash. tough pill to swallow at times and tough to honestly say, but even with people criticising the riding style, it isn't what caused it. Mike rides well and his riding style is fine. He loaded the front by either throttle or trailing too much brake. I vote trailing too much as that corner is notorious for it...

Man i know all about this lol. Was just playing with ya:p

Bottom line anyone who tracks enough knows how easy it is to make a small mistake that causes you to go down. It is easy to be a Monday morning quarterback!

Awesome bike Mike. You've inspired me to track mine next year.

Or, there are actually guys that ARE quarterbacks and have made enough mistakes to know...

I was wondering how long it would take before the critics came out in this thread.

Too much trail brake, hmmm. could be. Mike said it came out with no warning at all, maybe that will help in the determining what might have caused it.

Here's a cool pic

Joeandsteven.jpg

Edited by vw151