Anyone traveled to Ireland?

Gump

I want to take my Dad. It's been his life long dream. His Gpa was from Tipperary. not sure how that's spelled. My sis went but she took some boring looking tour thing. Any suggestions of where to go. We'd want to see real ireland at the least. Not the tourist ireland. We both like the outdoor type stuff.

I've been there, and the real Irish experience, at that. I went for work, with my old job though. I can't really remember for sure where to tell you to go. I know the place was in County Mayo, the town was called Ballina. I stayed at a hotel (nothing like a US hotel, not a chain, but a local place!) for a couple nights, then at a B&B that was above a bar for a couple more nights, then back to the Hotel for the rest.

It was a great experience. I got to spend some time with a couple families to give me something to do on the weekend, went to a football (like our Soccer) game, even went to a (closed for the day) pub to watch the F1 race, to another just to hang out, there were even people playing old Irish type music. Not the typical tourist stuff at all!

Getting to work with machinery I knew well, training the locals to operate it, and fix and maintain things, was cool, too.

I wish I could remember it all!

It's not quaint, not clean and doesn't have a bike shop in it. We stayed above the bar with the guy sitting on a stool on the sidewalk...

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

He was filming a TV commerical for his bar. After he was done, he showed us upstairs to our room. Like most B&B's in Ireland, the room was just an empty room he had that he threw some beds in it so he could rent it out.

The outer room...

UKtrip2006452Medium.jpg

UKtrip2006451Medium.jpg

Edited by Earache

That sounds cool. Doing real things with real people. I just mean that in a non tourist sense.

Ireland has high unemployment. especially in the smaller, more remote towns. It's pretty depressing.

You'd be doing yourself a huge disservice not to go to some of the touristy areas. They're touristy as that's where all the cool shit is! OK, skip the Guinness Factory, skip Blarney Castle but do get out into the country and see some of the other, less popular ruins, Druid Burial mounds and castles. Ya can't go 25 feet without running into one anyway.

Edited by Earache

See: http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=26186&highlight=ireland

for some pics from our trip here in May and June. Rode around teh island for 3 weeks.

The perimeter of the Island is where all of the cool shit is. The interior has towns like Tipperary,Limerick, small farms and most of the industrial areas. Kinda like the midwest of the US - only much worse.

The southwest, after Dublin, is the most touristy area. Towns like Kenmare, Killkenny are nothing but hotels and restaurants for tourists. We blew through there and it was a ghost town - the economy has really put the damper on the number of tourists around. So now is a good time to go.

Edited by Earache

Probably the best place to go is Galway on the far west coast. I was amazed how few Irish have even been over there. Not a tourist town, but has loads fo bars and restaurants, some decent hotels and lots of shit to see and do.

Loads of outdoor walks and hiking to be had around the coastal areas.

Midtown Galway...

IMG_4095Large.jpg

IMG_4096Large-1.jpg

IMG_4097Large-1.jpg

IMG_4098Large.jpg

IMG_4099Large.jpg

And no matter where ya go, there's always plenty of this...

IMG_4111Large-1.jpg

And it really is better than the stuff ya get here. The domestic variation is much less acidic and a bit thicker. Still creamy like it is here, but much smoother. Dunno why they have different formulations for different parts of the World.

We went through towns that had no gas stations, no pharmacy, no grocery store...but they had 3 or 4 pubs. This one was in a town that had about 5 buildings in it...

IMG_3948Large-1.jpg

IMG_3945Large-1.jpg

IMG_3946Large-1.jpg

Three bar stools - no waiting.:D

No matter where ya go, if you've not been there before then you'll have a good time. The people are probably the most tolerant of Americans of anywhere in Europe. We're less hated there than just about anywhere else.

If I can help you out with anything, just ask. I've been there 4 times over the years and have some friends that live there, so I'm fairly familiar with the place and can get local info for you from my friends if you need it.

I would love to take my dad out there for a big golfing trip. That would be awesome!

Huuuuuge golf courses all over the place. Lots of great trout fishing (so I'm told, I don't really fish:eek:) around as well. Lots of outdoor activities to do.

But be sure to bring a rainsuit!

Huuuuuge golf courses all over the place. Lots of great trout fishing (so I'm told, I don't really fish:eek:) around as well. Lots of outdoor activities to do.

But be sure to bring a rainsuit!

Ya it would be awesome to go. We have always wanted to but... this then that then a bit more of this happens. You know how it is im sure, but then again you went, so you may not know. ha ha

No matter where ya go, if you've not been there before then you'll have a good time. The people are probably the most tolerant of Americans of anywhere in Europe. We're less hated there than just about anywhere else.

If I can help you out with anything, just ask. I've been there 4 times over the years and have some friends that live there, so I'm fairly familiar with the place and can get local info for you from my friends if you need it.

Thanks a TON!!! I'll write this stuff down and start figuring the trip..Thank you!!