My next bike, dual sport opinions please

V4junkie

Thought about starting a profile at ADVrider for these musings, but it's blocked at work so I probably wouldn't log on much. Besides, we had a few migrate over here anyway ;). Keep in mind my bike is for sale, that's the only thing keeping me from moving on this right meow. Been thinking about dual sports all summer, My dad bought a KTM RXC last week so that pretty much sealed the deal.

Qualifications: I have some dirtbike experience growing up. Not a big risk taker, exploring sounds fun but I'm not really into jumps. I love back roads, if I throw some sporty tires on a bike I want it to inspire confidence in the corners (not like the R6, but quickly). I commute on my bike a lot and take some trips so luggage is a must, at least a top case, includes some highway. Unfortunately I can only work with one bike at a time right now.

Seems like the main contenders for something to do all of the above are BMWs. This suits me just fine as my dad had me into the cars from a young age (I've had 4). That would probably also help me get a bit more attached to it and not be trying to sell it a season later. Pardon some of the obvious stuff, this is the list I sent to the significant other. So here are the ones I like the best:

BMW G650 X Challenge

bmw-g-650-xchallenge_460x0w.jpg

Pros-

Great in the dirt

New tech, cutting edge won’t be outdated any time soon

A hard topcase is available, doubles as backrest

With sport tires would be fun on back roads

53hp is a lot less to get in trouble with than the 120hp I have now

Super light weight for maneuverability

Almost 60mpg

Cons-

Not so great on the highway

Light weight, will get blown around in the wind a bit

Passenger pegs must be bought as an accessory

Seat is too hard, needs redone

Seat height is almost 38”

Would need two sets of wheels to be live-able, one pair knobbies and one pair for commuting/twisties (better than two bikes I guess)

It’s a relatively rare bike, may get attached to it

Also the X Country exists, but I have a hard time compromising on the dirt aspect when I could just throw on different wheels. Seems like a budget version. Still a contender.

BMW%20G650X%20Country%2007.jpg

Then there's the Dakar

BMW%20F650%20Dakar.jpg

Pros:

Good on the highway

Has some dirt capability

Better seat, passenger pegs standard

Luggage accessories available, including side racks

Good range

Stands out

Time tested design

Cons-

100lb heavier, tougher to navigate difficult terrain and corners

Not nearly as sporty, a bit vanilla

engine makes 40 something hp (I think), means 2-up it’ll be struggling

Not very soul stirring, may get tired of it

Most models for sale have a LOT of miles on them

2 sets of tires could be done, but it doesn’t do sport or dirt REALLY well, just capable

Alright, well that's me sitting here thinking out loud to my keyboard. Sorry for the length. Hoping I can move on one relatively soon. Throw any of your thoughts out there.

Edited by V4junkie

X challenge!!!!!

Definitely leaning that way myself. . . I could see myself track that thing too hehehe :D

Just occured to me, I'm thinking of a regular size track. Is the X Challenge acceptable at the Circleville mini track?

Edited by V4junkie

I'm just not a beemer fan so I can't give you a unbiased opinion on them. I only know of one or two riders who have x-challenges that really use them offroad and performance wise the bikes do no better than a KLR. So it comes down to $$$ to me. Is it worth an extra $3000 for the BMW logo on the tank?

Besides most new DS riders end up trading bikes within two years of their first purchase. So I'd recommend buying used at first then decide what you like and dislike before getting another bike.

BMW G650 X Challenge

bmw-g-650-xchallenge_460x0w.jpg

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/G650X.lasso

A lot of fun stuff for that bike.

BMW%20G650X%20Country%2007.jpg

I rode this one in MI one time (on the street). I enjoyed it, but you would need different tires for sure if you wanted to do some serious off-road riding.

BMW%20F650%20Dakar.jpg

I think the F800GS would better suit your needs.

Eenteresting, well if I go the way of the challenge I saw it as more of a comparison to a DR or XR. I see more potential to throw sporty tires on and do a track day or something like that, but I may be way off base with those hopes. The badge is worth a bit to me, I like the Rotax motor and BMWs are different which is something I like in a bike. I thought the Xchallenge was significantly quicker than a KLR? Not something I'm worried about trail-wise, but just trying to get away from traffic.

Hadn't considered the F800gs, seemed like the extra price and weight weren't worth it.

Well, I should at least point you in the right direction. Ted and Mike are fellow caveman riders who work at motohio BMW. They're good riders and will be able to really answer you questions about handling, performance and reliability of the X-challenge. Just tell them Buildit sent you and they'll give you a special deal.:takeit:

:lol:

http://www.motohio.com/

Edited by buildit

Eenteresting, well if I go the way of the challenge I saw it as more of a comparison to a DR or XR. I see more potential to throw sporty tires on and do a track day or something like that, but I may be way off base with those hopes. The badge is worth a bit to me, I like the Rotax motor and BMWs are different which is something I like in a bike. I thought the Xchallenge was significantly quicker than a KLR? Not something I'm worried about trail-wise, but just trying to get away from traffic.

Hadn't considered the F800gs, seemed like the extra price and weight weren't worth it.

The F650GS, IMO, would get boring. The F800GS is the most heavy, but it makes good power. Two-up wouldn't be an issue. If you're looking for a track bike, I'd try to find a X Moto.

bmw-x-moto-right.jpg

I think it would too. Could I put a F800gs on a trail? Eehhh, that might be scary. No bike does everything well, so having one bike and wanting to hit up the dirt makes it tough. That and I'm still young/reckless enough to pine for the occasional track fix. So with an extra pair of wheels I could do something like this?

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=85339

I'm still open to suggestions, trying to narrow down the criteria. Comes down to

Commuting

Wide trails, farmland, and dirt roads

Light adventure touring

Sporty, easy conversion to supermoto

Can get hard luggage, at least a top case

Stands out

I think that's it. Other recommendations are welcome.

Oh oh can I have yours pretty please? :p

Not going to lie, that's a serious machine.

Now I've seen the G650 go in this price range from time to time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X-CHALLENGE-2007-BMW-X-CHALLENGE_W0QQitemZ300362504334QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item45ef00188e

What's the going price on a used KTM 950, 690, 525, etc? (trying to google it over here)

Edited by V4junkie

I got mine this summer for just over $8000 OTD. Normally I see 950/990 adv's and SE's going for 2-3000 under origional price ($13000 SE and $15000 ADV). I was just in the right place at the right time. Winter can be an especially good time to buy DS bikes from people who "have" to sell. Spring is the worst time to buy usually.

Ca DS bikes tend to sell cheaper because there are more adv and DS riders out there. If you can fly out to get the bike or find inexpensive shipping there are good deals to be had.

Worked for me.

Sat on it and talked to a sales guy Saturday. Unfortunately at MOST my r6 is at $3k trade in value. I'm not in a big hurry until the weather clears up so I'll keep waiting on a buyer. Anyway, I like that bike a lot, still really light and very nice quality. Definitely had me thinking of ways to get my hands on it. I thought about it after I left and decided the Xcountry may not be dirty enough. That and it doesn't quite look the part.

Ca DS bikes tend to sell cheaper because there are more adv and DS riders out there. If you can fly out to get the bike or find inexpensive shipping there are good deals to be had.

I'm not afraid of shipping, so that's an option for the right bike.

Edited by V4junkie

I sat on the black X-Country at Iron Pony on Sunday, to see how it fit me. I'm not a fan of tip toe straddle a bike. I could almost get both feet flat on the ground. I'm 5'9". There's lots of suspension travel, and it's bouncy, so I could bounce a bit and both feet were down flat.

I miss the old style street scramblers. Almost everything for dual sport use now is either very heavy, or very tall. Tall is out. Heavy is questionable. Hard to figure out what to do. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

I sat on the black X-Country at Iron Pony on Sunday, to see how it fit me. I'm not a fan of tip toe straddle a bike. I could almost get both feet flat on the ground. I'm 5'9". There's lots of suspension travel, and it's bouncy, so I could bounce a bit and both feet were down flat.

I miss the old style street scramblers. Almost everything for dual sport use now is either very heavy, or very tall. Tall is out. Heavy is questionable. Hard to figure out what to do. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

You can lower almost anything, so seat-height isn't that big of a concern IMHO. If you want the travel and suspension to really do dirt, however, you're going to have to accept a certain amount of "tall". My TTR250 is a tall bike, I can't flat foot but I can do balls of the feet so it's fine to me. Offroad, it's perfect.

I also second Buildit's opinion to buy cheap, small and used for your first DS and get your sea-legs. Ride the fuck out of it, see what works and what doesn't, and THEN move up to something expensive (if you are even inclined).