Stolen Work Van

jhaag

my friend had his work van stolen right out of his driveway thursday night (11/5). he lives in Dublin behind the Tuttle Mall off of Franz. its a white 94 chevy 1-ton beater with a GMC grill and rust on the bottom of the doors, it did not have a ladder rack. he is self employed and many of his tools were in there, including some of mine. we're in home improvement, so there were saws (table, jamb, tile, sawzall, circular), air nailers and compressor, a couple of ladders (green 6' step and an articulating) and a lot of small mics hand tools that he has accumulated over the years.

he filed a report and has ins, so it will all be replaced, but if anyone sees the van it would be nice to at least get that back.

thanks

check the pawn shops and i would look in grandview at a new web business called retag it the have work tool that people bring in for cash and its fairly new . Heard a lot of stolen shit has been turning up there .

Nice tip. New businesses do seem to not be as conscious about stolen goods, until they've been through the situation.

thanks for the replies, guys. we're keeping an eye on craigslist and we'll follow up on the retag place. my friend is more worried about getting the van back, ins will cover everything else. i just wanted to get the word out.

so, we got the call yesterday from the CPD. they found the van. so at least he got that back.

the thief used a screwdriver and hammer and drove the screwdriver through the side door where the lock tumbler is and unlocked it. so that door needs fixed and, of course, the column is destroyed. it was kind of funny, the cop was waiting for us to get it started before he left and i was like, 'i guess we dont know how to steal a van cause we dont know how to start it now'. anyway, we got it going and its back home now. they cleaned the thing out, too, of course. oh well, i guess we'll have to come up with some sort of lock for the side and back doors (they tried that door too).

thanks again for the replies, fellas.....:cool:

in all seriousness, if the side door isn't a sliding door, the best option is probably to go medieval style, and have a bar across the inside of the back and side doors...

it'll be a pain to have to climb through all the time, but definitely more secure at night.