Google Android - Droid has landed

V4junkie

I have to concur with you V4junkie. I just picked up my eris this past weekend when we switched from t-mobile and I couldn't be happier!

Advanced task killer = FTW

Rumors are floating around the net everywhere that they will be dropping an upgrade this month for 2.0 or 2.1

Edited by Squidy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads up Droid users!

Downloaded the "Dolphin Browser" a few days ago. Pros and Cons:

Pros:

-Loads fast

-Pinch to zoom (multitouch)

-Download Youtube videos

-Gestures as shortcuts (haven't used much)

Cons:

-Slightly lower resolution than original browser

-App previously had access to fwd your history, seems to have been removed

Did I mention it's Free?!

Heads up Droid users!

Downloaded the "Dolphin Browser" a few days ago. Pros and Cons:

Pros:

-Loads fast

-Pinch to zoom (multitouch)

-Download Youtube videos

-Gestures as shortcuts (haven't used much)

Cons:

-Slightly lower resolution than original browser

-App previously had access to fwd your history, seems to have been removed

Did I mention it's Free?!

Wow, I just downloaded it and damn! Talk about night and day compared to the original browser!

• 3 weeks later...

**NEWS**

Just in case anyone missed it. The OTA update for Droid and Eris is thought to be Jan 22nd. This should be the update to Android 2.1. Animated backgrounds, voice to text, more 3d (Droid has dedicated graphics processor), and just overall more polished, etc. For Droid the rollout of Flash player 10 should be sometime in Q1 2010. Hulu on your phone! (or Farmville . . . if you're gay)

I got the HTC Hero just over a week ago, and this thing is amazing! I am aware that the Moto Droid has better hardware and all, but I'm happy with Sprint, get great customer service (since I'm a "premier customer") and have 2 other lines that are still unser contract. Not to mention price, especially after the 22% discount they just gave me since my wife works for Kroger.

Back to the phone, I'm have some minor quirks that I need to wring out, that I know can be changed, just have to get some time to mess with it more.

Are there any good forums to hit up? I may have missed it if that's already been posted, and I'll look back over this thread later.

Now, just the wait until Sprint rolls out 2.1! I saw that it's supposed to be next month....

I got the HTC Hero just over a week ago, and this thing is amazing! I am aware that the Moto Droid has better hardware and all, but I'm happy with Sprint, get great customer service (since I'm a "premier customer") and have 2 other lines that are still unser contract. Not to mention price, especially after the 22% discount they just gave me since my wife works for Kroger.

Back to the phone, I'm have some minor quirks that I need to wring out, that I know can be changed, just have to get some time to mess with it more.

Are there any good forums to hit up? I may have missed it if that's already been posted, and I'll look back over this thread later.

Now, just the wait until Sprint rolls out 2.1! I saw that it's supposed to be next month....

My coworker has the Moment from Sprint. I played with it a bit and it seems pretty great and he hasn't had any real complaints with it. It's cool there are carrier and phone options for the Android OS other than getting stuck with a single phone and single carrier.

My coworker has the Moment from Sprint. I played with it a bit and it seems pretty great and he hasn't had any real complaints with it. It's cool there are carrier and phone options for the Android OS other than getting stuck with a single phone and single carrier.

Exactly! Some carriers are better in certain areas, and having Androind available on multiple carriers keeps people from being locked out if a certian acrrier doesn't work where they need it to....*cough* iphone */cough*

On the other hand. I've just started seeing apps that are stated as "only for Droid or Nexus One". If I was a developer (especially for games due to graphics) I think you would HAVE to do that rather than troubleshoot for all the different hardware out there. So there are a lot of Android devices out there, but it's getting really splintered and I'm a bit concerned.

On the other hand. I've just started seeing apps that are stated as "only for Droid or Nexus One". If I was a developer (especially for games due to graphics) I think you would HAVE to do that rather than troubleshoot for all the different hardware out there. So there are a lot of Android devices out there, but it's getting really splintered and I'm a bit concerned.

I thought one of the goals of Android was to keep the hardware similar enough that apps would be universal? Maybe the apps are only for Droid, or N1 because they only run on 2 series OS?

I thought one of the goals of Android was to keep the hardware similar enough that apps would be universal? Maybe the apps are only for Droid, or N1 because they only run on 2 series OS?

I'm thinking it's that AND those two have a dedicated graphics processor.

Get "handcent sms" it replaces your text messaging app. it is titties! can change fonts, back rounds, bubbles, light colors, notification pics, all types of things! get the 4 font packs also

I have handscent on my hero. There are a few quirks about it that I don't like, and I've set the stock sms program back as default, but at least I can use Handscent when I need it to auto-resize an image before sending, which is nice.

• 3 weeks later...

New stuff.

Sholes Mod Updater-

All in one rooting, also download SetCPU and (relatively) safely overclock up to 1.1ghz. Try at your own risk. Running mine at 1ghz and noticed a big difference in speed, battery life doesn not seem to be affected. If anything, with the additional settings, it's even better.

Exzeus-

Haven't had much time to play it but it's an awesome 3d mech game. Great graphics (for a phone), takes up about 57mb on your sdcard.

I love this phone.

• 4 weeks later...