Google Android - Droid has landed

V4junkie

Almost went on a long rant about how much I love my new droid and then realized I was in a Crackberry thread. We need our own thread Droid people.

How's everyone doing on battery life? I'm getting a full day worth of heavy use, never had that in a smartphone before. That's with Pandora running in the background, updating FB, playing games, etc. The rated talk time of 6.5 hours is way short, Cnet got 7.5, Phandroid got over 7 with the screen on continuous full bright and running multiple programs.

App store is great, almost everything I've downloaded has been useful. Favorites so far:

Appkiller, must have. Kill what you're not using or just kill everything and you'll get even more battery life.

Documents2Go, no need for a WinMo phone if I can edit office docs

RoboDefense, cool tower defense strategy, really addictive

Pandora and Shazam, nuff said

Sugarsync, I like not having to tether the two when taking files off the home comp. 2 Gb free remote storage.

Speed Forge lite, good lookin 3d game

Google Sky Map, gf and I laid out in the country and used this to identify constellations. Pulls your GPS and uses the accelerometer to rotate the map as you do.

Downloaded Genesis and SNES emulators but haven't got roms yet

etc etc and with the exception of Docs2go everything I've downloaded so far is free

Also reception is amazing. My sprint phones couldn't get reception in my basement, no longer a problem. Had the thing way out in the middle of nowhere Corning OH and still had 3g coverage.

With all of this amazingness rolling out, plus competition from Palm and Apple, Windows mobile is just looking sad. It's all I ever had on my smartphones, and now I'll never go back.

Oh and has anyone done any research on why no Pinch-Zoom for the droid? I can take it or leave it, but it's interesting that the phone has the capability and doesn't use it. Not to mention even the Eris (made by HTC) uses pinch zoom. Read that it might be because Apple is suited up ready to go after anyone they think infringe on their intellectual property. Combine that with Motorola's fragile state and I think they might be playing it safe.

Disclaimer - The OP is not responsible for feelings of jealousy that may be incurred after reading the above post.

Edited by V4junkie

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one to get into all these fancy phone devices but after having my blackberry a few friends have been trying to talk me into being the guinea pig to get this when in January when its time for a new phone....I'll have to keep an eye on this thread for all the goodness

Ive been waiting for this. I will never leave verizon but ive really been wanting an iphone... So here lies my answer I guess

Exactly, I would have considered the iPhone as well but AT&T's service is gawdawful. Then add on top of that my distaste for Apple. Not because they make bad products (well, moving parts in an iPod, I mean really) but because everything is mainstreamed and when using an iPhone I feel spoonfed.

Couldn't be happier. Appstore is already great and is quickly catching up. The processor doesn't really leave anything to be desired even when running multiple programs, comes with 16gb sd, and the screen is fantastic. Motorola is pretty much hinging their company's success on this phone, they didn't cheap out on a single thing. It's SOLID!

About the keyboard. This phone is about the same thickness as an iPhone. I'll take flat keys rather than raised ones on a phone that's less pocketable.

BTW before I get anyone's ire up. I don't believe there's such thing as an iPhone killer or needs to be. But for myself, this fits me much better. It's just the closest competitor to compare it to.

I have an iPhone and this phone sounds very similar to it. I can not stand AT&T though. So, I have come to the conclusion that the iPhone is not worth switching to AT&T. I had Verizon before I switched and loved their service. Guess I should have stayed.

Are you on Sprint? Which droid phone did you get? I see 2 on Sprint.

I have the last "iPhone Killer", the Instink. I'm looking to drop it like a bad transmission.

I was on Sprint, but switched to Verizon a full two months before my contract is ending. The two Google phones sprint has are the Hero and the Moment. The hero is nice but hardware is ooold. I've had the 528mhz ARM11 chipset for like 3 years, I'm not buying a new phone with the same guts as my old one. The moment is cool and I love the screen but it's thick and looks cheap. So voila! Motorola Droid.

My i500 finally took a crap on me back in early October. I'm glad the droid wasn't out then 'cause that would have made my phone decision a hell of a lot more difficult. I like the iPhone, but no enough to dump Sprint for AT&T. I ended up w/the Pre. I like it, but if the droid would have been out at the time I got the Pre, pretty sure my head would have exploded trying to decide between the two

i absolutely love mine, no bugs that i have found at all, soooooo many apps and the voice recognition software is top notch. You can use the voice option to do a google search, call someone, find a place on a map, or get directions to a specific address.

Customizable widgets and home screen is always a plus and easy basic user interface with the option dive into the advamced options

I'm thinking its almost time to upgrade my Palm Treo 700w that's over 3 years old.

Just gotta wait for that first paycheck coming in December.

Do it! Can't go wrong with an Android :D

Got stuck on level 9 of RoboDefense (free version) . . . trying . to resist. urge. to play. at work.

I think I will.

Of course I'll have to put the internet back on my cell plan when I get that. I did away with it on my Treo so since then I've only had a phone the size of a small brick that I could do Excel, Word, and Powerpoint on.. for what reason I don't know.