Good powerful fun rifle

alab32

Sounds like you already made up your mind before even starting this thread??

Well, I certainly had an idea of what I wanted yet. Hence I had those three options. But the less expensive of the three is the 06 but that doesnt mean thats what I should go with. This is why I am asking since I am no pro when it comes to rifles.

The mini 14 would be fun but it is still a pretty small caliber.

I was thinking about a Savage. I will have to look into it. Seems when I look online there is not too much of a difference between a 308 and a 30-06 unless youre shooting bigger grain bullets. I guess Ill see what i can get a better deal on and go from there...

I have a 7mm remington Mag. Its the flattest shooting rifle I have ever shot. The accuracy is unbelievable if thats what you're going for.... Mine is a remington 700 stainless steel synthetic stock BDL

If you check ballistic and trajectory charts, you'll see its really tough to beat it. It does pack a punch though.... lol

Any Browning, Savage, Winchester, Ruger or FN in .308 or 30-06. Bolt Action.

Some of the Steyr rifles don't cost much more than the others.

Try to find a used rifle to save some money.

Preferably one with only a few rounds fired.

Or try to find a discontinued model if buying new.

Bargain rifle: Smith & Wesson i-Bolt in 30-06, $389.99 and up; I don't know anything about them

Discounted rifle: Browning A-Bolt in 223WSSM or 243WSSM or 7mmWSM; $499 to $599 and up

Closeouts: Remington Seven, .300WSM; 589.99 and up

Interesting option: Styer ProHunter, 30-06; $649.99 and up

Those are absolute lowest price you might find one at. Plus tax.

Like at the gunshow in Hara Arena in Dayton. Great place for low prices.

This time of year, the deer rifles will cost you more. (the 30cal stuff) Might want to wait a bit before looking. Also means there might be some bargain used rifles soon. When hunting season is over.

Personal preference: Winchester or Browning in .308 or 30-06, but the Savage is very interesting. I also like lever actions.

Thanks guys... The 7mm is still something I am tossing around but for some reason a 30-06 just keeps sounding nice. I guess with apples ad oranges it doesnt matter. I am just looking for something that is nice, accurate and fun to shoot. We shall see what a gun show will get me.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys... The 7mm is still something I am tossing around but for some reason a 30-06 just keeps sounding nice. I guess with apples ad oranges it doesnt matter. I am just looking for something that is nice, accurate and fun to shoot. We shall see what a gun show will get me.

Thanks again.

Why do you keep saying a 30-06 sounds nice? Are you basing it on price, ballistics, ammo availability or what?

Why do you keep saying a 30-06 sounds nice? Are you basing it on price, ballistics, ammo availability or what?

Well, from what I have looked at they are all about evenly priced (30-06 seems a little less depending on location, make blah blah blah) but the 30-06 packs a pretty good punch, seems to do a little better in long distance shots than the .308 (even though as of NOW i am not planning on shooting too long of distances) and I have yet to shoot a .308 so... I enjoy shooting the -06, as I am sure I will enjoy a .308 also whenever I shoot that. But since I havent, this is what I base my thought process on. No one has swayed me either direction and since I was initially thinking 30-06, that seems to be what is sticking.

Should i like something else?

Well, from what I have looked at they are all about evenly priced (30-06 seems a little less depending on location, make blah blah blah) but the 30-06 packs a pretty good punch, seems to do a little better in long distance shots than the .308 (even though as of NOW i am not planning on shooting too long of distances) and I have yet to shoot a .308 so... I enjoy shooting the -06, as I am sure I will enjoy a .308 also whenever I shoot that. But since I havent, this is what I base my thought process on. No one has swayed me either direction and since I was initially thinking 30-06, that seems to be what is sticking.

Should i like something else?

If you plan on hunting back in NY 30-06 is a good gun knock down power nice