winter hobbies?

oldschoolsdime92

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT's one of the projects that I need money for! It's time for some bodywork on it, and paint. I also have about half of the parts to put EFI on it (it's an 84, has a carb.) I spent about $4000 on the engine I built for it, about 6 or so years ago. I also would like to put a 6 speed transmission in it, since I keep failing at getting an automatic to work right in it (I rebuild transmissions sometimes as part of my job, and have rebuilt many of the same trasmission, but mine has never been right!)

Two of my other projects are in my avatar, as well. The Ninja 250 gets fresh paint, and the starter gearing fixed (started clutch, or something is broken) and the Interceptor needs new paint, and I would love to do a complete overhaul on the engine, but at least the timing chains need attention.

The next project is computer stuff, then home entertainment (TV, stereo, home theater, etc) and the list goes on from there....

What engine are you putting in it? Was it originally an auto, or stick?

i thought about buying a benchtop mill/lathe. maybe i will continue through with the plans. Right now, I am doing a few things to my daily driver that I have wanted to do for awhile, but have not gotten around too.

Add vehicle maintenance to that list of my projects! You'd think that someone that works on cars for a living would be up on that stuff, but no! I've had parts sitting for both of our daily drivers for months!

What engine are you putting in it? Was it originally an auto, or stick?

It's pretty much a ZZ430. 350, .030 overbore, LT4 Hot cam, 1.6 full roller rockers, GM Fastburn Aluminum heads. GM's limited edition crate motor of this combo made 430HP, 430 Torque. They only made a few hundred, I think. It has a 700R4 Auto in it now. I've just been too lazy to pull the trans back out and figure out what I did wrong. It has no second gear, and no engine braking in manual first gear. I could probably have it out, fixedand back in within a few hours.

It's pretty much a ZZ430. 350, .030 overbore, LT4 Hot cam, 1.6 full roller rockers, GM Fastburn Aluminum heads. GM's limited edition crate motor of this combo made 430HP, 430 Torque. They only made a few hundred, I think. It has a 700R4 Auto in it now. I've just been too lazy to pull the trans back out and figure out what I did wrong. It has no second gear, and no engine braking in manual first gear. I could probably have it out, fixedand back in within a few hours.

Nice. But...all your waiting on is the trans to be fixed...and it's driveable? Fix that thing and get it rolling! Your letting 430 hp...just go to waste man. :D

Nice. But...all your waiting on is the trans to be fixed...and it's driveable? Fix that thing and get it rolling! Your letting 430 hp...just go to waste man. :D

Eh, I drive it a little bit. Maybe 25-30 miles this year... Really, the big thing is getting rid of the carburetor, I don't want to put any more into it knowing that I'm going to EFI. It still has the original (modified) computer controlled Q-jet, and it's just not running right at full throttle. I dunno, I just thought about messing around with an identical parts carb I have on my bench to see what I can do with it. Again, laziness. Well, I DID have the bike bug hit me this year, also!

Eh, I drive it a little bit. Maybe 25-30 miles this year... Really, the big thing is getting rid of the carburetor, I don't want to put any more into it knowing that I'm going to EFI. It still has the original (modified) computer controlled Q-jet, and it's just not running right at full throttle. I dunno, I just thought about messing around with an identical parts carb I have on my bench to see what I can do with it. Again, laziness. Well, I DID have the bike bug hit me this year, also!

Excuses. :p Did you just start riding this year?

I am having a hard time here. For the last few winters I have had a winter project. Last year I rebuilt the cbr. The year before that I was doing the v8 in the s10. This year I have the triumph. No project there. I have looked at buying an old bike and building a bobber, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money. Once I get the maintenance done on my lawn care equipment, im out of "work" after work. Anyone have any suggestions?

I started playing poker a couple years back to occupy winters between riding seasons. Now I play year round too. Its almost as important to me as riding now.

MD

(All in!)

THAT is a cool idea. That's one BIG thing I miss about my old job. I made all sorts of stuff there! CNC Mill's, lathes, grinders, welders, pretty much anything needed! I actually built some CNC router machines.

Very cool! Maybe I'll have to get some advice from ya. I've been doing some research on CNCZone and such but there's always more you can learn!

Aaron

Very cool! Maybe I'll have to get some advice from ya. I've been doing some research on CNCZone and such but there's always more you can learn!

Aaron

I'll have to warn, I haven't done any of it for a while, but I think I can still remember it all! The routers that I worked on were slightly different than standard g-code, but it was really close. Most of the differences had to do with the fact that each router had 4 pairs of axes, all running at the same time. It was fun stuff! Had to time it right to keep them from hitting each other, and so that all of them ended before the longest cut, all sorts of stuff that went into it! Then throw in the fact that we were cutting polycarbonate plastic, which is really hard, and somewhat brittle, that was about .060 - .080 in thick on the average! ''

Anyway, when doing machining, the mills that I used the most were "conversational" controllers, which don't use g-code, and are pretty easy to program.

X2 on the shooting! Brandt you live down the road from me, you dont need to go to Vandalia to pay to shoot when you can come to my house n do it for free..yes, its a lil more redneck shooting beer cans and 55gal drums, and a lil cold too about this time of year i might add.. but hey.. its what ever..ill be buyin a 40 or a 9 soon for use in the academy, so i could use some practice as well! and for once, i wont be building a bagged n bodied s10 for the 1st winter in i dont know how long!

snowboarding and whatever improvements I can make on the kawi (on a budget)... Soo... your winter fun could involve answer questions in the many threads that I will probably end up making that start with "How do you... on a kawi.."

Hey girl I get to go snowboarding for the first time this winter I'm so excited maybe we can go some weekend together? if you don't mind a newbie! :D

Sounds like a fun time, but I've learned that the top of a snow covered hill is no place I want to be. Now the lodge at the bottom.... Different story!

snowboarding and whatever improvements I can make on the kawi (on a budget)... Soo... your winter fun could involve answer questions in the many threads that I will probably end up making that start with "How do you... on a kawi.."

Just curious, and not at all bashing, or anything, but how much do ride the Kawi now that you got the Hon-duh??