Torque Wrench WTB

JBWalker

I picked up a Sears inch-pound clicker torque wrench on sale, years ago.

I usually use the Newton-Meter scale instead. Seems to be easier on the small stuff.

Tops out at 50 foot-pound, I think. So you have to have a bigger one for the other stuff.

Axles nuts, forks, etc, have to have more torque than the little wrench can provide.

Just a note on torque wrench accuracy, they don't amintain their accuracy through the whole range, they aren't as accurate in the lower ranges (I think it is), so you want to get something that will put you more in the middle of the range. An inch-pound torque wrench is the way to go for the range you mentioned. I need to pick up one myself, since mine broke a while back. I bought a S-K that goes from 25-250 inch-pounds. Not sure what I'll get now. For bigger stuff, I have a snap-on clicker. That's a NICE torque wrench!

One other thing to keep in mind, more important than accuracy most of the time is consistancy, having all the bolts tightened evenly. You do need to have them close to the right torque though...

Aviation rule...

For anyone that doesn't know, when torquing a set of bolts or a pattern.

Torque one fourth total first, then half, then full torque.

And I usually start from finger tight, not loose.

I usually use thirds, or even just half, then full torque. Always make sure to tighten in a criss-cross patttern, also...