BMW's can go 40k miles on an oil change!

RSVDon

*shrug* 3 year 30k free service, powertrain and bumper to bumper warrrranty... I'll just do what VW tells me...

Mine is the TSI engine, if that makes a difference

I'm sure they have eliminated the issue by now, I'm talking around 1998-2002 range, maybe newer...

I'm just trying to wrap my mind...around the idea of not having an oil change done...for that long. Christ. I loved when someone asked the question, for what reason did he wait that long to change it? "The answer is not important". Yes...yes it is. It boils down to 3 things. Laziness, neglect and ignorance. Just ridiculous. I think even most women, who have no male influence...know that a car needs maintenance. And...stuff goes into the hole under the hood. :D

Or not! :lol:

THIS is why you should always change your oil regularly.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1281659

That is exactly the type of shit I had to deal with on a DAILY BASIS! People being so stupid, but then wanting BMW to pick up the tab for the repairs. I could sit and tell so many stories of people just like this, if not WORSE. This dude deserves whatever he gets out of this.

There is absolutely no excuse for this. BMW customers with an active maintenance plan can get an oil change once per calendar year or every 15K miles, which ever comes first.

You know what, why do I even give a shit what happens. BMW laid me off, I hope they pay to fix this guys shit. In fact, I think I might get on the website and maybe I could give this guy some advice on how to work the system.

Edited by Goldie

That is exactly the type of shit I had to deal with on a DAILY BASIS! People being so stupid, but then wanting BMW to pick up the tab for the repairs. I could sit and tell so many stories of people just like this, if not WORSE. This dude deserves whatever he gets out of this.

Oh, it's not just BMW owners, by FAR!

Oh, it's not just BMW owners, by FAR!

Unfortunately you are right.

One of the dealers I worked with sent me a picture of a Jeep that was brought into their sister dealership. The driver hit a mattress on the highway, and didn't see it in their rear view mirror. Then their vehicle mysteriously started to drive much slower. When they took it to the dealership, all of the mattress coils were wrapped around the drive shaft. Fuckin' people.

Or how about the MINI customer who purchased a brand new MINI, took it home on the highway, hit a mattress and kept on going. Her car then caught on fire and burned to a pile of metal on the side of the road.

Unfortunately you are right.

One of the dealers I worked with sent me a picture of a Jeep that was brought into their sister dealership. The driver hit a mattress on the highway, and didn't see it in their rear view mirror. Then their vehicle mysteriously started to drive much slower. When they took it to the dealership, all of the mattress coils were wrapped around the drive shaft. Fuckin' people.

Or how about the MINI customer who purchased a brand new MINI, took it home on the highway, hit a mattress and kept on going. Her car then caught on fire and burned to a pile of metal on the side of the road.

You must be tired or horny with all this matress talk! :lol:

shaffers oil every 10k plus free oil annalysis every change.
Shaffers FTW! I use the additive in my bike and cars/trucks and love the shit!

Do you mean you only change your oil every 10k or every other oil change is Schaeffer's? Has anyone seen an oil analysis of their oil or additives to support going so long without a change? How much does it cost?

http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme_9000.html

Any comments about the Auto-RX stuff they talk about in that BMW thread? Any usefulness in a car w/ over 110k? Motorcycle with over 14k? Vs Seafoam? I've used Seafoam in gas tanks in other cars and haven't noticed much. I've used Seafoam in vaccum lines going to the valve cover and saw aloooooooooot :D

Do you mean you only change your oil every 10k or every other oil change is Schaeffer's? Has anyone seen an oil analysis of their oil or additives to support going so long without a change? How much does it cost?

http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme_9000.html

Any comments about the Auto-RX stuff they talk about in that BMW thread? Any usefulness in a car w/ over 110k? Motorcycle with over 14k? Vs Seafoam? I've used Seafoam in gas tanks in other cars and haven't noticed much. I've used Seafoam in vaccum lines going to the valve cover and saw aloooooooooot :D

With ANY thin cleaner added to the crankcase, be sure to not run it very hard, or very long, IMO. Put the stuff in, run it for a while, drain it, rinse repeat, yada yada....

One thing I do to help with sludg buildup in my cars is to add about 1/2 quart of transmission fluid about 1000 miles before the oil change. The good ole Intrepid would use/leak enough to have room for it by then. ATF has more detergents in it, and that small amount won't hurt a thing. I have no reason to bother with anything on the bikesm they're both sqeaky clean on the inside.

AutoRX website says to run it for 3k miles (its an additive to conventional oil), changing the filter halfway through. I'm assuming you have to let the car sit for a good while so as much oil settles in the pan as possible when you change just the filter :dunno:

Am I correct that Seafoam is used to clean carbon build up, AutoRX is used to clean out oil sludge and Schaeffer's is good for avoiding sludge?

Anyway, I guess my question about Schaeffer's is is it worth the money? I'm sure it's much more expensive than your normal oil.

Actually, you can put seafoam in the crankcase, just keep in mind that it will thin out the oil, which is why I recommend against running it very long. I'm not sure about Shaeffer's, I'll see what I can find on pricing, and quality. When people are willing to spendthe extra $ I tell them to use Mobil 1, when tey want the best they can get for their money, I say Amsoil.