MotoGP moving to litre bikes!?!?!?

Casper

yep i like the idea, i dont see how they expect a 600cc class to not compete with top racing rights of a 800cc class. the only reason the motogp class can hold up to a premier class is if they completely overpower the support classes, because god honestly the 250's were a lot better to watch.

They came down from 800cc for safety reasons, and now they are going to waste the manufacturers time bo going right back up to 1000cc. That seems a little foolish.

yes, and going to a lighter bike with faster corner speed actually DECREASED safety.

This choice is a financial one designed to make bikes easier/cheaper to build. MotoGP is dead if they can't get bikes on the grid.

yes, and going to a lighter bike with faster corner speed actually DECREASED safety.

This choice is a financial one designed to make bikes easier/cheaper to build. MotoGP is dead if they can't get bikes on the grid.

:plus1:

They came down from 800cc for safety reasons, and now they are going to waste the manufacturers time bo going right back up to 1000cc. That seems a little foolish.

Yea they went to 800's, they broke every 990 track record because the bikes were faster. However they had to get more out of the motor, which cost more. Especially with this limited motor production they are going to do it makes sense to go back up to a larger CC to help with longevity while still making power.

Yea they went to 800's, they broke every 990 track record because the bikes were faster. However they had to get more out of the motor, which cost more. Especially with this limited motor production they are going to do it makes sense to go back up to a larger CC to help with longevity while still making power.

I am pretty sure they were making as much power out as they could no matter how many CC's they use.

how is a prototype 800 cheaper than a prototype 1000?

Nobody makes an 800cc supersport road bike. They're all 1000cc. So you get to start with the inital factory design and then improve upon it for MotoGP racing. This head start on engine design helps immensely compared to starting from scratch with an 800cc block and using all one off parts.

Nobody makes an 800cc supersport road bike. They're all 1000cc. So you get to start with the inital factory design and then improve upon it for MotoGP racing. This head start on engine design helps immensely compared to starting from scratch with an 800cc block and using all one off parts.

i think the only thing you'll find on a motogp bike that is similar to a production bike is that they are both internal combustion engines.....

motogp bikes are one-off, race-built, prototype machines. you'd find their technology implemented into production bikes only after being used on these prototypes.......for the most part, anyway.

i really doubt they start with the factory engines. wsbk yes, gp no.

i could be wrong though.

Based on the article i read in RRW, its to allow the possibility of highly modified streetbike engines similar to the ones you see in wsbk. They aren't too far off the pace comparing spies' R1 to M1 was .5 sec difference (track conditions were different however).

so privateers would use the modified street engines, and the factories have the option of using the street engines, but most suspect they will bring up their old 990 designs and go from there.

motogp bikes are one-off, race-built, prototype machines. you'd find their technology implemented into production bikes only after being used on these prototypes.......for the most part, anyway.

They don't have to be though. Sure, the best ones probably all are, but there's no rule saying "you have to be using a prototype engine designed specifically for this series". This rules change gives companies and privateers the option of using modified production engines, which is an option that is probably very appealing to a good number of competitors considering how nobody has escaped the effects of this recession. The point of this change was to open up the series by giving the option of reducing costs, not to immediately reduce costs across the board.

Based on the article i read in RRW, its to allow the possibility of highly modified streetbike engines similar to the ones you see in wsbk. They aren't too far off the pace comparing spies' R1 to M1 was .5 sec difference (track conditions were different however).

so privateers would use the modified street engines, and the factories have the option of using the street engines, but most suspect they will bring up their old 990 designs and go from there.

if this is right with the privateers i like that idea.........

i think the only thing you'll find on a motogp bike that is similar to a production bike is that they are both internal combustion engines.....

thank you, my damn head was going to explode