High Speed Chase on 270 this morning

SWing'R

The internets (W!!!) yields conflicting information. I looked very briefly, but I saw on one forum that the car is drag-limited to 134mph, and someone else said electronically limited to 150 in 6th gear (you can go faster by revving higher in 5th though, where the speed limiter won't kick in)

There's video of an RX-8 pulling 184 on a dyno, but without wind-drag, that's not really relevant...

I find 134 to be very low. My 140 hp Eclipse could get to 135 with the right amount of room. That's a 100 hp deficit over the 8.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, not sure why people are hating on the rotary engine. Sure a V-8 is better in some applications but the rotary is cool for it's own reasons. Come on it's a triangle in a circle.

Either way, from what I gathered from some googling, it goes around 150-155mph so if the guy is ballsy enough he could out run a police car as I believe they are done around 140. If he was smart he got off the highway shortly after the chase began after the cop was out of site. It being a small displacement engine that revs high, a highway pursuit would be this cars element too. All top end. Come on, all you 4 cylinder riding motorcycle guys should get this, the 600cc CBRs and Gixxers are the same way, slow in town and screamers on the highway.

Of course all this is also assuming the RX8 is stock. I do believe the tuning possibilities for these rotary engines are pretty serious.

I'll throw in a comparison too. My 2006 GTI is 200hp and it hits the electronically limited top end of 130mph (140mph indicated) with a decent amount of power left. The guys on the VW forum that have chipped their cars, giving them closer to 240-260hp are seeing indicated 155 no problem. This is a VW hatchback. I don't find it to be odd to think an RX8 can do 150.

Edited by vw151