snow plowing

oldschoolsdime92

Wish I had one, I'd go up to Cleveland and make in dollars what i push in snow. I was at Kaffenbarger off 104 and almost bought a total set up. You could go crazy in that place.

kaffenbarger is who puts all our trucks together for us. They put our gledhill dump bodies on and set up the plows.

We have a customer that pushes snow, has everything from a couple F-350's to a Tahoe with plastic blade! A couple of his trucks are special purpose, the Tahoe does well in the parking garages they say.

One thing about it, pushing snow brings in business for us, because it's hard on the trucks, and not everyone plows carefully enough to keep from breaking stuff!

10 years ago, I was a happy camper plowing with my 1984 Chevy shortbed Custom Deluxe with a Myers plow. I did the driveways of family and friends, plus 2 small business lots. The money was ok, but after 3 years of plowing with an already used plow truck, the repairs got pricey. U-joints, plow parts and brake lines. Plus, nobody else is willing to help you replace front hubs during 3 AM snow storm when they break.

^ you sir are correct. Thats why you make someone ride with you! Thats not actually my truck. I just pulled that pic from the internetz. Mines red, and I dont have the side blade. It has an allison 5 speed auto, air locker in the rear, air brakes, and when I have a load of salt in the bed its about 7-7.5 ton.

My dad does snow removal at our airport back home, at the CAK. They got some hardcore shit up there. I think like 8 or so plows, 2 blowers, and 2 brooms. And I think it's almost all oshkosh. And they also just picked up 2 new rosenbauer panther firetrucks. Lots of sweet shit :banana:

Only the first picture is actually one of the airports. I'll snap some pics when I head home for the holidays tho.

im sure the allison in the publis trucks you buy from gm are way different but a friend of mine blew 4 of them up and 1 of those he blew into little fragments.

wow gotta give it to him :lol:

ours got hit in the side busted motor mounts and put a hole in the side of the bellhousing and the driver still drove it back from mt vernon :lol:

Nice set ups you guys posted.

I was a landscaper for 15 years in the Geauga county snow belt up until 2 years ago. Mostly just 3/4 ton pick ups, 1-1 1/2 ton dumps, skid steers and loaders. Over the years I have used all kinds of equipment. The best rig I ever used was a Blizzard Power plow, Stainless Swenson Spreader, hooked up on a GMC 4500.

The living in the truck and the shop for days at a time and working almost every Christmas and New Years just got way to old. It's a harder job on the mind and body than most would think. Expecially when you have a mix of residental and commercial. The last 7 years I was doing a parking lot down off E.152 which had a Social Security office along with the residental routes. Those people in charge of that office where the biggest Pita I have ever had to deal with. I have to say some times I miss plowing. Majority time no so much.