Need some help, home CAT5 wiring

Likwid

Under the carpet can be seen and felt... down the cold air return is 100% invisible

Running wire in ducting is against code for a reason. If there were a fire in your home and it reached the return, the wire could act as a conduit and spread the flames/toxic smoke further in the house.

I bet your insurance co. would be able to use that as a 'contributing factor' and use it to deny/reduce your claim.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running wire in ducting is against code for a reason. If there were a fire in your home and it reached the return, the wire could act as a conduit and spread the flames/toxic smoke further in the house.

I bet your insurance co. would be able to use that as a 'contributing factor' and use it to deny/reduce your claim.

I'd bet not ;) Although I'm sure they'd try

I'd bet not ;) Although I'm sure they'd try

I wouldn't risk it personally.

Another tip: If you do decide to run the wire somewhere that means cutting drywall, closets are a great place to cut your holes. Most people will never notice a patch job there.

Hes right. If its against code, the insurance co will use it against you if they find it.