Tear down begins

SJC1000rr

So after having got the new track bike, I started the tear down and today. Taking it to MPHOhio on the 4th to make sure everythings straight as its a rebuild salvage title and the front tire seems slightly to the left. Then doing upgrades. Heres the pic from base to current!

Coming home

Bike3.jpg

Off come the plastics, radiator and exhaust

2.jpg

Header ports, desperately need cleaned.

4.jpg

And finally, the off parts accounted for

5.jpg

So with the header picture, what would be my best option for cleaning the rust buildup and small debris etc out of there safely? I was thinking dipping a toothbrush into WD40 or maybe carb cleaner and going over it and using a cloth to wipe it clean. Thoughts?

Edited by SJC1000rr

(Block-off plates to go on tomorrow after buying gasket sealer)

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=699

Header ports, desperately need cleaned.

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=700

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=701

So with the header picture, what would be my best option for cleaning the rust buildup and small debris etc out of there safely? I was thinking dipping a toothbrush into WD40 or maybe carb cleaner and going over it and using a cloth to wipe it clean. Thoughts?

I didnt use any gasket sealer on mine .I used the oem rubber gasket thats there its reusable and thats what an engine builder recomended be done.

And yes WD and a brush will clean most anything

Thanks yota, I saw them mentioned here and gave them a call. Was easy talking too them and describing everything. They told me to take off some parts (exhaust radiator) to save some $$. Which was easy enough as I wanted to anyways...well not the radiator, but o-well. Now to get this done and fixed and find a new exhaust for it. Thinking another arrow and selling that Leo SO.

I would probably go Arata, Arrow, Akro in the grand scheme of things. Problem is that last i knew, Arata Japan stopped all contact with USA and no one has been able to get systems in for a while. Which is why I went Arrow on my 1krr in the beginning of 2009 after waiting for 2 months for an Arata. I'm not really fond of the oval or big can(trapizoid) on the Arata now days either. With the Akro, its alright..but not my visual taste or sound either.

Just for a testing also, my arrow gp system was just behind(.5hp) a full akro system with more mods(air box/intake) done to it. But as with everything, everyone has personal pref. We all get what we feel is best. :cheers:

Edited by SJC1000rr

So I made my way up to MPHOhio today and had the bike measured and fixed. Unfortunately there was more wrong then I had hoped, but Doug Duane got it all fixed up for me. He was very helpful and explaining how and what was wrong, and how it would affect the bike. I also asked a few more questions about things I wanted to do to it and he gave me more guidance on what I really needed and where to go. Overall I give him a 10/10 and recommend him if you need your bike fixed up. Total time for measurement was 20min, and 3.5hrs to get it all straightened up.

Also, the guy that originally owned the bike had wrecked it and attempted to fix it. Thus, not knowing wtf he was doing, put in the race bearings in upside down :eek:

But Doug quicky found this and fixed it all for me without issue.

Heres how bad it was out of tolerance/bent

Bike%20Scan2.jpg

And heres the fixed printout.

Bike%20Fixed%20Scan2.jpg

Nice! Good thing he found the bearing issue and got you all straightened up.

Hudson? Did you do that trip with the bike on the open trailer today? Bet you gots some cleaning to do.

Yeah, cleaning might be an understatement. Trailer got most of it, but the bike has some salt to get sparyed off. Though, not sure how to do that just yet as it will all turn into an ice brick if I did it now :(

how much did everything cost you at MPH and why did he not check the subframe and swingarm for straightness also?

Check your PM's.

Yeah, cleaning might be an understatement. Trailer got most of it, but the bike has some salt to get sparyed off. Though, not sure how to do that just yet as it will all turn into an ice brick if I did it now :(

Warm up the garage and windex or hot water and a rag.