VERY suspicious GSXR listing on CL

tomato_racing

Someone with free time could go, bring a buddy, a camera, and a .40 and start peppering the guy with questions until he sweats. Then casually drop the info that you're looking at it for a friend of yours - who's a cop, who asked you to check for certain things and documents. Be sure to take pictures of the seller and write down any license plates of his other vehicles before dropping the "for my cop friend" bomb.

Another funny thing to mention is your buddy had a bike "just like this that got stolen".

Then let the entertainment/socially awkward backpedaling begin.

Edited by JRMMiii

Is "VIN checking" a service the PD can do for a regular person? Could I call the PD and indicate I am about to purchase a car/bike/boat from a private seller and just want to make sure it is not stolen? If the VIN does come up stolen, could I just tell them the location, or does it not work that way?

Is "VIN checking" a service the PD can do for a regular person? Could I call the PD and indicate I am about to purchase a car/bike/boat from a private seller and just want to make sure it is not stolen? If the VIN does come up stolen, could I just tell them the location, or does it not work that way?

This is the only place on line I know of to check a VIN for stolen. (for free).

It's an Insurance Group website.

Somebody posted it last year. But that link is broken.

This is the current link:

VINCheckSM

If you suspect a VIN is coming up stolen, you'll need to make a report . (Preferably a written disposition.) With the report, the PD can then act upon the evidence.

Edited by ReconRat

This is the only place on line I know of to check a VIN for stolen. (for free).

It's an Insurance Group website.

Somebody posted it last year. But that link is broken.

This is the current link:

VINCheckSM

If you suspect a VIN is coming up stolen, you'll need to make a report . (Preferably a written disposition.) With the report, the PD can then act upon the evidence.

Can't you do that at the BMV as well? i'm to lazy to try to navigate the ohio bmv site to find the link, but i'd bet thaey would know.

True that the ad indicated the frame was not for sale, but the rest of the parts from a possibly stolen bike are.

From what I've seen in my short time (less than a year) of working on mine and friends bikes, few of the parts other than the frame have the VIN on them. Maybe this is different on newer bikes? The engines have a serial number on them, but it's not the same as the VIN again, maybe different on newer bikes.

Someone that's stealing and chopping up bikes is not someone I'm going to go question.

Granted the guy is probably pretty dumb since he posted it on CL, but I'm not going to his house.

:wtf: Your nutz are :missing:

:lol:

i know a guy who just traded a fully legal titled 4wheeler for a rust free civic and a gsxr both with no title....im wondering if its the same guy, if so, i would say the stuff is legit...because the dude im thinking of is a reputable member on CR....but it may not even be the same guy....

I tried call ing this dude -- just for chits and giggles. His phone number has been disconnected -- and as of yesterday, the posting was still up on CL. The dumbass must not know that if LE wanted his address all they have to do is contact CL and they'll hand over the IP address of where the ad was posted... IP address is just about as good as GPS coordinates.