WTB: Canon 24-70mm lens

yummy_waffles

I used to have the 24-70 L and the the 24-105 L, and dumped the 24-70 in favor of the other. I liked it better, especially for portrait work. Some of the earlier 24-105's were notas good, but I think mine was a later 07 version and it was super crisp and had the best bokeh on a lens I've ever seen. Check it out, very good lens. After buying it, I dumped everything except the 100-400 L and the Tokina 12-24. Didn't need anything else.

fredmiranda.com is probably the best for used Canon lens(or was a couple years ago). Sometimes you can get lucky and Adorama or B&H will have used/ refurbed lenes too.

Originally, I had my eyes set on the 24-105 f4L. Then there was the huge debate of whether or not I would need the IS. I find myself photographing subject matter in low light condition, so I think the 24-70 f2.8L would be the way to go.

Edited by yummy_waffles

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally, I had my eyes set on the 24-105 f4L. Then there was the huge debate of whether or not I would need the IS. I find myself photographing subject matter in low light condition, so I think the 24-70 f2.8L would be the way to go.

If you are shooting dark concerts or weddings, the 24-70 may be the way to go, but the IS on the 24-105 makes up some of the aperture loss. IS is real nice, especially when you only have one shot at photo.

If you are shooting dark concerts or weddings, the 24-70 may be the way to go, but the IS on the 24-105 makes up some of the aperture loss. IS is real nice, especially when you only have one shot at photo.

The gain from the 2.8 is really nice. The only thing IS helps with is a steady hand. I only shot with the 24-105 once and it wasn't enough to make me want to consider trading my 24-70 for. I found being able to get better speeds in dimly lit situations were flash wasn't a good option more important. If I didn't have to worry about that the 24-105 would definitely be the way to go. Right now if I want decent bokeh for portraits I use a 50 1.8 or my 100mm macro.

The gain from the 2.8 is really nice. The only thing IS helps with is a steady hand. I only shot with the 24-105 once and it wasn't enough to make me want to consider trading my 24-70 for. I found being able to get better speeds in dimly lit situations were flash wasn't a good option more important. If I didn't have to worry about that the 24-105 would definitely be the way to go. Right now if I want decent bokeh for portraits I use a 50 1.8 or my 100mm macro.

I love the nifty fifty! I haven't shot with the 100mm macro, but I have the 100mm f2 in my set. It creates nice bokeh as well.

I agree, the IS probably wouldn't help me benefit from my shots as much, since my choice of subject are usually moving.

I love the nifty fifty! I haven't shot with the 100mm macro, but I have the 100mm f2 in my set. It creates nice bokeh as well.

I agree, the IS probably wouldn't help me benefit from my shots as much, since my choice of subject are usually moving.

Nifty fifty FTW! Love the lens and for the price it's hard to beat.

The 100 f2 is a great lens also. I almost picked one up before settling on the macro. Another benefit to the 24-105 that I hadn't thought about in my last post is that it's probably a better walk around lense than the 24-70 since you get the extra reach.

Nifty fifty FTW! Love the lens and for the price it's hard to beat.

The 100 f2 is a great lens also. I almost picked one up before settling on the macro. Another benefit to the 24-105 that I hadn't thought about in my last post is that it's probably a better walk around lense than the 24-70 since you get the extra reach.

Another nifty fifty glorified user here too :D

But back on topic, I would have to completelly agree with fusion on this one. When I rented the 24-70 I knew I was going to be dealing with low light situations but durring the week I had it it would hav been nice to have an extra 35mil of reach. Solution? Canon needs to make a 24-105 2.8L!!!

*** I don't have 50 posts, so I am editing my own post because I can not offer something for sale ***

You may want to shoot a quick note to a mod/admin, they probably won't have an issue with you offering stuff for sale, especially to help out someone else (ie you're not starting a thread you're offering it for someone looking)...

but double check.

• 2 weeks later...
There was one up there for 525 shipped. I thought about it, but I'm sticking with the 24-70mm. Haven't gotten it yet, but hopefully soon.

I have my brother's Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EXDG right now... I can see why you'd want this length but I have to say, I like the 18-200 a little more.

He also let me have his nifty fifty for a while :) These things are too much

Too much a nifty is like $94 new! That's the best $94 you could spend in your whole camera bag! Hell my camera bag cost more than $94!

sorry sorry, I meant too much fun.

The EXDG is great, not sure I'd spend $600/$300 on it new/used when a Canon would be $600 used.... but this fifty... holy crap it's fun. Very clear images with a reasonable fstop!

+1 on the nifty fifty! I'll look into the sigma.

It's pretty freaking nice... might be a good alternative, but I have never used an L lens so I don't exactly have anything to compare it to.

Taken at 70mm, 200 ISO, f/3.2, 1/100 & natural light only ... I may have to actually pay for Flickr or Smugmug lol

4323276691_cebcb259ac_b.jpg

My friend brought his 70-200L F/4 today. I took a few quick pictures in the office, once I can get home and look at them I'll decide if I really need to spend the extra cash ;)

He asked me to do some shots for him and said I could use his lens.... :) I'll never turn down a free rental

My friend brought his 70-200L F/4 today. I took a few quick pictures in the office, once I can get home and look at them I'll decide if I really need to spend the extra cash ;)

He asked me to do some shots for him and said I could use his lens.... :) I'll never turn down a free rental

Great lens, super sharp. I've shot with the 2.8 IS also which is fantastic as well.