In God we trust is gone.

Gump

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here a coin related question to see if anyone knows. why are there grooves on the edges of certain coins like dimes and quarters?

I'd imagine it'd be an Americans with Disabilities Act thing. Telling quarters from half dollars and dimes from nickels for the blind.

Back in the day when they were made of silver, if the edges were smooth and people would shave some off the coin. Would spend the coin at face value, but was worth less than that. then use the silver shavings. Here's a better worded explaination if interested. http://chestofbooks.com/reference/The-New-Student-s-Reference-Work-Vol5/Why-The-Edges-Of-Coins-Are-quot-Milled-quot.html

Here's my complaint.... the establishment clause is pretty clear.... putting G-d on money is nearly as clear a violation.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion
While several laws come into play, the act of May 18, 1908, is most often cited as requiring the motto

All personal beliefs aside, do YOU believe this is NOT a violation of establishment? Regardless of what you think is RIGHT or WRONG or what represents this country or the founders of this country. Do you believe the 2 quotes above are in contradiction?

Here's my complaint.... the establishment clause is pretty clear.... putting G-d on money is nearly as clear a violation.

All personal beliefs aside, do YOU believe this is NOT a violation of establishment? Regardless of what you think is RIGHT or WRONG or what represents this country or the founders of this country. Do you believe the 2 quotes above are in contradiction?

I see your point. My understanding is that "God" is not referring to one certain god but the idea of a higher being.

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

I see your point. My understanding is that "God" is not referring to one certain god but the idea of a higher being.

Then it would say deity. A;so the letters and decision to place that motto refer specifically to Christianity.

I like Ron Paul in general but he's a whack job when it comes to religion. If I remember right, he sponsored an act that would end up permitting states and local governments to not allow atheists to run for office amongst other things.

Yeah' date=' Ron Paul is cool but his religious ideas are a bit on the scary side. This is the part I found interesting...

I'll have to look further, but it seems to be accurate.

[/size']

I agree if you take that statement in its self which is rather generic. There's no context around it though.

The speration of church and state has been taken way too far, the only meaning of have seperate church and state was to keep religious figures from running the government and influencing politics. It is no secret that this country was founded by Christians, and I believe that without those beliefs and background that our country would not be what it is today and we can't change the past so why disgrace our hertiage by removing in God we trust? And if you really feel that having in God we trust in our government is a problem you need to find other things to worry about that actually are important.

The speration of church and state has been taken way too far, the only meaning of have seperate church and state was to keep religious figures from running the government and influencing politics. It is no secret that this country was founded by Christians, and I believe that without those beliefs and background that our country would not be what it is today and we can't change the past so why disgrace our hertiage by removing in God we trust? And if you really feel that having in God we trust in our government is a problem you need to find other things to worry about that actually are important.

They disgraced our heritage and forefathers when they added it to begin with. They were rolling in their graves when it was chosen over "E Pluribus Unum".

Edited by fusion

It is no secret that this country was founded by Christians, and I believe that without those beliefs and background that our country would not be what it is today and we can't change the past so why disgrace our heritage by removing in God we trust? And if you really feel that having in God we trust in our government is a problem you need to find other things to worry about that actually are important.

disgrace Your heritage maybe. The other part of "our" heritage is the systematic raping and extermination of the native inhabitants and the land. If you want the USA to be a unified country, then you must be publicly tolerant of religious views and beliefs of ALL it's citizens. Are you so blinded by your church that you can't see how "In God We Trust" could be offensive to those of different beliefs? What about the Hindu, Buddhists, Taoists, Atheists, and etc... Either make it all inclusive or all exclusive.