Spring break in DC

flyboy1011

So I'm planning on heading out to DC for a few days over spring break with the lady friend and began my hotel search earlier today. Anyone have any recomendations on places to go or stay away from? Also, I know there are a few DOD peeps on here, so to you, I know most hotels will honor a military discount, but are there any places where my milID will get me 4 nights at a better rate than others? I'm planning on doing a lot of sightseeing and what not, so obviously, I wont be spending too much time in the hotel. Just need a decent place to crash. Thanks!

Not sure on Hotels. When I went there for work, we stayed at a nice Holiday Inn. I can't remember which though.

Last time I went, a couple years ago, I stayed with a relative and drove in to pick up the Metro to do the sight seeing. Wow, was I BEAT after 2 days, too!

I'm not military, but I'm a consultant working on a military contract. There's a DoubleTree in a neighborhood called Foggy Bottom (right off of George Washington University's campus), that's really good and honored the government rate when I was going there.

There's also the Conneticut Hilton (on Conn. Ave in DuPont Circle). Very nice place which also honors the gov't. rate.

PM me if you need any info on places to hang out. I used to live in DC before moving here. A lot of my friends and fam still live there, so I get back there a few times per year.

Stayed at the Courtyard (Marriott) Convention Center about 9 years ago.

Right near Ford's Theater, the Holocaust Museum, FBI, etc.

Parking's $32/night, but you'll find it similarly bad elsewhere. Maybe drive the bike into the lobby, onto the elevator, and up to the room?! :lol:

Marriott Corporate honors Military/Government discounts, according to their website. Might be able to do better via one of the online services.

Theres a JW Marriott pretty damn close to the national mall

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasjw-jw-marriott-hotel-washington-dc/

There's also a W Hotel in the same general vicinity

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3279&iATANumber=

Ive stayed at these types of hotels in other places (JW in houston, and W hotel in San Diego). They normally honor the military rate. The W Hotel is a brand by Westin. The W's have an Acura service that takes you to anywhere in the downtown/national mall area...free of charge. The amenities are top notch, very modern. JW is very nice also...high quality amenities. JW is more classic high class vs the W's modern/hip younger crowd high quality (hopefully that made sense).

JW and W hotels are the higher end hotels of their parent hotels (Marriott and Westin respectively). The best hotel bed Ive ever slept on was a W heavenly bed.

Personally I would stay at the W Hotel. If youre going to pay the same MIL rate at all these places might as well make it worth while.

Edited by ohdaho

My wife and I got engaged in DC. Love the town. We find it's easiest to say outside of DC and catch the Metro in. I wouldn't pay the prices to stay in DC, especially when the Metro is so efficient and easy. I can't remember where all we have stayed, you just need to be within walking distance to the metro and you'll be fine. Have fun. It is a blast!