Handgun recommendations

smashweights

thinking of picking up a handgun. mostly for something fun to shoot at a range, but obviously any gun can double as protection in the home, not really planning on a ccw at this point. i was thinking of going up to Vandalia Armory and renting a few handguns and putting a box of ammo through them before deciding on what to go with and seeing as you all post nearly as much about your non-vehicular toys as your bikes, thought you all might have some recommendations. i know i've read some of you have and love the Springfield XD40, so i might try that one out. otherwise i was looking at some glocks and a five-seven to try. caliber recommendations appreciated too, though with the 9mm and 5.7x28mm seeming to be the cheaper calibers, that'll probably win out eventually. thanks!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a xd9 and loved. had no complaints at all. lost that one long story. but ended up getting a xd40 and its just as good. Love the feel weight and mag capacity. Look into the 40 cal alot of places will be completly out of 9 and 45 but have 40. That was part of my deciding factor. If you hit vandalia range let me know great place. I will bring my buddys desert eagle.

If all you want to do is punch paper and do it cheap, a nice Ruger .22 target pistol is cheap and fun. If you want home protection, get a short barreled .12ga. pump with an extended mag tube, I like a Remington. If you want a decent handgun that's versatile, accurate, small enough to CCW later (frame size and weight) I really like the Glock 27 .40 cal. I'm pretty partial to the .40 These guns are tough reliable and quite ugly. I never though I'd own a partially plastic gun, but they are reliable and very accurate right out of the box. If you're "brand concious" and you want to drop the coin I like a Sig Sauer or a Kimber.

But, if the gun has to look great and you're not partial to a semi, I love that S&W 500, that is a Man's Gun! Ammo is pricey though, about $60-65.00 a box,,,,, for 20.

I had a xd9 and loved. had no complaints at all. lost that one long story. but ended up getting a xd40 and its just as good. Love the feel weight and mag capacity. Look into the 40 cal alot of places will be completly out of 9 and 45 but have 40. That was part of my deciding factor. If you hit vandalia range let me know great place. I will bring my buddys desert eagle.

they have a HUGE assortment of rentals according to their website, so i'm sure i'll have a chance to check the feel of each, just figured i'd pick up a 50-round box in a each caliber and rent 3-4 first. i'll definitely let you know, though. it'd be fun to let someone see me make a fool of myself with a .50AE, lol. might go this week just so i have an idea what i'm looking for at these gun shows, namely the one in sharonville this weekend just in case i find a deal

If your going to shoot targets and you're not worried about the weight or bulk during carry then dont overlook a full size 1911 style gun. 5 inch barrel, semi auto, match grade barrel, adjustable sights(a must for target shooting) and durability like no other gun! (none of that disposable plastic by tupperware) lol (dont get your panties in a wad guys, I have tupperware guns too)

picture.php?albumid=491&pictureid=7510

Edited by Rod38um

I know you want that 5seven. So do I.

Maybe in a year or two. A guy who works for me just got one. $800.

yeah, from what i heard they are a blast to shoot, very accurate for a handgun, and now that the ammo prices are at or below what i've seen for 9mm prices (around $20 per 50-round box). problem is i really dont wanna invest $1000 in a handgun. they've got them for rent at Vandalia armory, so i might grab a box of 5.7mm and try it out anyway.

and dont worry, i wont overlook the 1911, though i wouldnt mind a slightly more compact handgun like the Glock 19, i had an airsoft replica of a tiny lil glock 26 a while back, so i dont want something i cant get my pinky on the grip.

anyone have experience with the Walther P99?

I like the springfield xd line. I have a 4inch service model and a sub compact both in 9mm. I looked at the glocks a few times dont like the feel of them, did not fit my hand right. If it is only gonna be for target shooting starting out with a nice .22lr is not a bad idea. Dont worry you will end up buying more then one anyways!

the P99 is my first gun. probably one of the smoothest shooting, with a crisp trigger gun I've ever had. and if my incompetent ass can shoot alright with it, it must be an accurate gun lol.

never had any failures of any kind, and i bought my gun used.

if i were to recommend something, i think top gun supply just had a sale on the Sig P225 (compact version of the P220) this past weekend... it was $300 for a police trade in. the shit is all german, son! the only bad part is, the outside is not too hot (finish is worn from holster wear) but from what i understand, the insides are pretty much perfect.

if its not for carry i would def buy a 1911.....kimber, springfield, wilson, or colt.....you can get a great mil spec springfield for 550 or so.....or a springfield loaded or kimber custom II for around 700. not bad at all for the quailty and dependability. + .45 is my favorite caliber to put down range.

if its not for carry i would def buy a 1911.....kimber, springfield, wilson, or colt.....you can get a great mil spec springfield for 550 or so.....or a springfield loaded or kimber custom II for around 700. not bad at all for the quailty and dependability. + .45 is my favorite caliber to put down range.

I've been putting about 100 to 150 rounds a week thru mine. I load my own so I load a lighter target load, use a 15# recoil spring instead of the factory 16# and a shock buff. Its smooth as butter and deadly accurate. The crisp 3 and 1/2 lb trigger is so sweet compared to the long pull of a double action.....

A Kimber custom II is a great deal for the money, just toss on some adjustable sights and you're good to go..........

If you want a good conceal and carry gun, inexpensive and fool proof go with a "wheel gun". A revolver. Oh sure they're not as popular as the 9's and 45's in the movies but they won't ever jam. If you need it and you're not an expert shooting you can't go wrong with a revolver. My personal gun is a Ruger .45 ACP semi. I practice a lot and use higher quality ammo and I keep it cleaned and oiled. If I didn't want to practice a lot and do the things necessary to keep from possible jams I'd go with a revolver. Wardie

If you want to learn marksmanship and have fun, get a Ruger MK2 or MK3 .22. If you want something that can be fun to shoot, can work as a defense gun, and is not too difficult to learn with, get a Glock 19. Save the theatrics of .40s and .45s for after you have learned the basics. Ultimately, 9mm ammo will be substantially cheaper than 40 or 45 cal ammo.