Sould I buy a Suzuki SV1000S??

ShankroidBeast

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the bike this evening. The good news is I really like the size, looks, feel and riding position of the model.

The bad news is the guy neglected to tell me it had been wrecked. The replacement front fairing did not fit correctly, the gauge cluster was off center, the master cylinder reservoir was held on with a zip-tie, the front head lights didn't work, the left handlebar controls were smashed and needed replaced, various wires were held together with twist ties under the fairing, and judging from the scratches on TOP of the grab bar in the back tells me this bike at one time flipped over on it's top. Doesn't sound like a "minor laydown" to me.

But all is not lost. Like I said I got to get on it and check out the riding position, which worried me because the seat height was the SAME as my inseam, but I could still touch the ground with both feel flat. So I think the SV1000s is going straight to the top of my short list, right next to the FZ1. I think I'd be happy with either bike.

BTW he is advertising it at 3k but I quickly got him down to $2,800 so he might take even less because it sounds like his mortgage payment is due. So if anyone wants a project bike might consider it.

Bummer :(

Get him lower and buy it. Get the parts and host a garage day( pizza and beerz ) and get a few of us over to put her back together.

I'd be down for that. I've have an 06 SV650S myself so I know them abit. I doubt we could get Mr. Awesome down but you never know.

Get him lower and buy it. Get the parts and host a garage day( pizza and beerz ) and get a few of us over to put her back together.

I'd be down for that. I've have an 06 SV650S myself so I know them abit. I doubt we could get Mr. Awesome down but you never know.

I thought about what you said. I'm considering maybe giving this guy a low ball offer and see if he takes it. I don't have experience working on bikes, but I have worked on cars. My brother and I did all the work on my Mustang including longtube headers (dropping the k-member) 4.10 gears (pain in the ass and very smelly) and every other bolt-on I could find. And I know how to use a multi-meter, so how bad could it be?

The parts needed to fix the bike if I can find used (the left controls being the most expensive I'm guessing) I'm sure I could get for a few hundred tops. That would be a great bike for less than three grand, and one I wouldn't worry about laying down all that much.

My one question is if a bike took the tumble it appears that it did, I wanted to make sure that the front forks and tree are in good shape.

I didn't ride it (no gear and it was cold as balls) but did check for any play and checked the rebound in the suspension which appeared solid. Any places I should inspect closer for damage or some kind of stress fatigue? And if it makes any difference the guy says it's a clear and not rebuilt title so that's a plus if I have to sell it.

Hmmm it's tempting....

I've got a good bit of experience with SV's. They are very easy to work on and a lot of parts swap from other bikes. For instance, you could swap a complete front end from a late model gsx-r for better looks and performance.

That said, I think that bike is work about 2200 tops. does it have a clean title?

Is it the one listed on CL in gahanna? I could help you take a look at it if you need.

I've got a good bit of experience with SV's. They are very easy to work on and a lot of parts swap from other bikes. For instance, you could swap a complete front end from a late model gsx-r for better looks and performance.

That said, I think that bike is work about 2200 tops. does it have a clean title?

Is it the one listed on CL in gahanna? I could help you take a look at it if you need.

He says it's clean, but I'm going to have to see it :)

That is So flippin cool of you to offer! How about a case of your favorite beer and the fact that you are ENCOURAGED to rag the hell out of an sv1000s as much as your heart desires????

Yeah. I'd come with you and Zach if you want. We can both say how fucked up it is and how much it's gonna cost to fix if you want. I think $2200 is fair as well. It's really only an insurance call away from a rebuild anyway.

Corrected if I'm wrong but I think the 1K has the upgraded forks already. Yeah/nay???

Well if you guys are willing to help my ugly ass out, that would be fantastic :) I'm free pretty much all weekend. I'll see what this guy is up to and get back to you. Thanks again, that means a lot :)

I think what really started selling me on this idea was the fact that some parts are interchangeable with the GSXR's. What worried me MOST about this bike would be the lack of aftermarket parts seeing it's just doesn't have the numbers to support vendors like a GSXR or CBR. I didn't know GSXR forks fit this bike thought the sv's forks would be longer for some reason, but it is a fairly aggressive riding position (for me at least) but I think It will be just fine. Because other than ecu flash and a real dyno tune I would not be modifying the engine at all, but would want to upgrade the suspension brakes and get some really nice tires. Honestly speaking I will never be able to get close to the bikes 120hp potential anyway, but would love to use the money saved by fixing this one up with some real nice and shiny goodies ;)

;)

Another twin fan here. In the twisties it will run with the big bikes. My favourite story is having a R1 breathing down my neck on 715, and all the power it had still couldn't pull on it out of the turns. He finally did pass me though... when he missed the turn and went straight into a access road at warp. Chris P... that's for you. Lol!

120hp might not get the fastest down the back straight at Mid Ohio. My friend Christy on a GSXR600 can get her bike 18mph faster by our measured braking points. But start up a twin and feel torque like it's supposed to be felt- starting under 2,000rpm.

Check on the Aprilias too. The used ones are priced low, and now Iron Pony is a dealer, so parts availability should be good. And chicks dig them.

Check on the Aprilias too. The used ones are priced low, and now Iron Pony is a dealer, so parts availability should be good. And chicks dig them.

You won't need to find parts for the Suzy.

I never stepped foot in a dealer in the 3 years I had mine.

Photowhore opportunity

jagrbike.jpg

minus ghey rim stripes.

Also contact Justin at Cycle Search. He's a sponsor here and gives us discount.

Otherwise use interwebz and/or us then Iron Pony.

I hope you can grab this thing up for $2200. Depending on what kind of damage the bike took (hard to tell after it's been 'repaired'), the forks could be fine.

if the front fender or front wheel were replaced, then I'd be more concerned. Ultimately laser measurement is the only sure-fire way to know. The ghetto test is to just put a straight-edge up against the fork leg, and slide it around the fork tube. if it stays flush the whole way 'round, obviously the tube itself is straight. That's not to say that the frame isn't bet at the steering head though...

Earlier you said the SV1000 and FZ1 were at the top of your list. I wouldn't really consider them competitors though. Not sure if the insurance on the FZ1 would be worse. I'm certain it's got at least 20hp on the SV, but in the sport-tourer class, that may not mean much.

trackdays on a SV1000 should be a blast. You can probably just change between 3rd and 4th gear :p

good luck.