Sould I buy a Suzuki SV1000S??

ShankroidBeast

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nearly impossible to bend an SV frame. It's cast iron at the head and then aluminum for the rest.

it will break at the cast/aluminum junction before it'll bend.

+1, That frame was overly designed and one of the most expensive frames ever designed from Suzuki at the time...

I know I read that somewhere, just can't find where. Best I could find:

http://www.beststuff.com/cars-bikes-boats/motorcycle-mania.html

+1, That frame was overly designed and one of the most expensive frames ever designed from Suzuki at the time...

I know I read that somewhere, just can't find where. Best I could find:

http://www.beststuff.com/cars-bikes-boats/motorcycle-mania.html

I believe it was the first gen 650 frame that was the expensive one. But the second gen frames were very well engineered too.

Believe me I researched EVERYTHING. I love the Ducati's!!! I just can't afford to modify them or maintain them...LOL

The ONLY bike I bought new was a Suzuki VX800. A great V-Twin and I loved that bike! So I have a soft spot of a Suzuki V-Twins and Honda V-fours. The VFR800 is my #2 pick BTW :)

haayyyy

head gasket troubles with mine though :violin:

I hope you can grab this thing up for $2200. Depending on what kind of damage the bike took (hard to tell after it's been 'repaired'), the forks could be fine.

if the front fender or front wheel were replaced, then I'd be more concerned. Ultimately laser measurement is the only sure-fire way to know. The ghetto test is to just put a straight-edge up against the fork leg, and slide it around the fork tube. if it stays flush the whole way 'round, obviously the tube itself is straight. That's not to say that the frame isn't bet at the steering head though...

Earlier you said the SV1000 and FZ1 were at the top of your list. I wouldn't really consider them competitors though. Not sure if the insurance on the FZ1 would be worse. I'm certain it's got at least 20hp on the SV, but in the sport-tourer class, that may not mean much.

trackdays on a SV1000 should be a blast. You can probably just change between 3rd and 4th gear :p

good luck.

I love what i hear about this bike!!!

See there are just too many things about this particular one. The front fender was replaced. I have a strong feeling the bike was used for stunting. Oil starvation and things of that nature concern me.

But I think I've decided to get this model. It's a perfect fit for me. I've owned standards all my life for some reason. I love the naked look and seeing the engine. I think motorcycle engines are to pretty to hide ;)

I have been doing nothing but reading up on this bike and going to the forums. I can't stop the droll....lol My favorite bike I owned was a Suzuki VX800. Just a smigine of the power of an SV but I loved the torque and the thump of the V-Twin and it was different, a V-Twin standard.

I LOVE all the different looks you can get with this (Granted some of these are SV650's but they look the same, and the 650's are bad ass bikes too)

npCB3.jpg

bike098.jpg

dsc03036.jpg

dscn1910.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

dscn6528.jpg

bikesummer2009067.jpg

vacationpics064.jpg

Sorry got a little carried away with the pics :p This bike is like a freakin chameleon!

Edited by ShankroidBeast
I went to bed with ichy butt, wake up with smelly finger

You got ripped off.............my oil changes are $40. :)

What's the harder thing to put on, do you suppose? The oil fill plug, or the two allen bolts holding the cover on the oil filter?:D

I'm buying the bike!!!

We settled on a price and I'm picking it up tomorrow if all goes well :D It will be a great project. My original budget for a bike was $5-6k. With all the money saved I plan on getting LOTS and LOTS of goodies!! All proven performance mods (should get me 120rwhp), GSXR suspension and brakes, no compromises tires, and some tricked out NAKED look (that will be fun planning)

So when it's all said and done, after fixing all the little things (which for me is fun) and having plenty of cash for the aftermarket, I will have one kick ass bike for less than $5k.

Nothing like the sound of a performance V-Twin...whomp, whomp, whomp

I currently don't have a girlfriend so I just might park this sucker in my living room...LOL

I'll post pics and videos soon :)

Congrats, but don't go naked with it. :nono:

I like being naked. Although in this weather it makes my balls shrivel to the size of a couple of raisins....LOL

But you have to understand I'm an old dude and like the old school looks. So this is the best of both worlds for me. A standard that performs like a sportbike and sounds like rolling thunder coming down the road :)

Congrats and hope to get you riding on it soon.

I'll be riding it home even if it's 40 and raining :)