Glaser Blue Safety Slugs?

CleaveTheGreat

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/23_61_119/products_id/831

I live an apartment and I'm worried about strays going through the walls and hitting my neighbors if I happen to miss an intruder. Just wondering if anyone has used these and how they performed.

Being in an apartment would definitely limit what ammunition you should carry' date=' but I'd be apprehensive about this stuff. Maybe a good quality, low velocity hollow point is better. I don't know, but I just keep seeing Dick Cheney's buddy. He was shot in the face by a shotgun loaded with bird shot... AND SURVIVED.

That's not what I'm looking for in a defense round.[/quote']

"Survived" isn't the same as "continued to intrude into my home" :D

Being in an apartment would definitely limit what ammunition you should carry' date=' but I'd be apprehensive about this stuff. Maybe a good quality, low velocity hollow point is better. I don't know, but I just keep seeing Dick Cheney's buddy. He was shot in the face by a shotgun loaded with bird shot... AND SURVIVED.

That's not what I'm looking for in a defense round.[/quote']

A good point. Right now I'm loaded with Federal Hydra-Shok, but I don't know how good of an idea that is in an apartment.

The other option is hitting your target

I can always count on you to chime in with the smartass comment. Thanks dick

If they're in my house' date=' and I have reasonable suspicion that they mean to do me harm, I have just cause to shoot/kill them.[/quote']

Right.

But the statement "Dead men can't testify" asserts that killing an intruder somehow protects you from indemnity. If you're unloading on someone, it shouldn't matter if they'll be able to testify or not.

I'm not sure where you came to that conclusion from what I said. If they are entering my house without an invite I am well within my right to shoot them. If they happen to die in the process that's not really my problem.

I think we're saying the same thing just with different words.

I was just questioning blake's mentality about dead men not being able to testify. I agree that you are well within your rights to shoot an intruder. Blake seemed to be implying that you're better off killing someone in a questionable scenario. I was arguing that it's a bad idea to shoot at any point when you could be in violation of the law.

Unless I'm missing something' date=' which is entirely plausible, Mike is talking about the angle of the feed ramp. I'm not sure if shorter barreled pistols tend to have a steeper ramp, but can see how it could play a role. My 1911 wouldn't eat bull nose ammunition. I've heard of others that ate it all day long. Maybe my 3" was ramped differently?[/quote']

Yargh, I had a SW22A, would fail to load ALL day if I tried to use 22HP in it...

I had a pt145 and it would ftl with a few of the hp I tried in it, I was told by the smith at my shop SOME short barrel guns ramps are to steep to load certain hp all the time with out a problem. When I bought my xd he also said the same thing, I have not seen this with my xd it eats everything but I still feel better knowing they feed well in my gun?

Dont mind me I am weird with this shit!

I certainly don't know all there is about guns but I was always under the impression that the same make and model line of guns have the same ramp angle regardless of barrel length. It may be true that some short barrel guns have too steep of a ramp angle but every gun of that model should have the same issue. Some models are designed better than others and will not have feed issues. I fail to see how extending the barrel any farther past the chamber effects how the bullet enters the chamber.

You can have as high a velocity as possible, but if the material the bullet is made of disintegrates on contact (like safety ammo) then it won't penetrate at all.

Ideally you're looking for ammunition that has CONSISTENT penetration and expansion.

Please review this website: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

He has multiple tests, drywall and water jugs. Will give you a good idea of what you should look for in ammunition. Personally I use Federal LE HST 9mm. They have the largest most reliable expansion I saw in any tests.

You can have as high a velocity as possible, but if the material the bullet is made of disintegrates on contact (like safety ammo) then it won't penetrate at all.

Ideally you're looking for ammunition that has CONSISTENT penetration and expansion.

Please review this website: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

He has multiple tests, drywall and water jugs. Will give you a good idea of what you should look for in ammunition. Personally I use Federal LE HST 9mm. They have the largest most reliable expansion I saw in any tests.

Interestingly enough, in a test performed on box o' truth, the glaser blue tip 9mm penetrated the same distance as #1 buckshot.