Vintage Computer Parts

Todd#43

Yeah, I'll just tell the customer, "sorry fucker, spend $100,000.00 for a new one. This one's too fucked up to fix".

That'll work.

Or, "sorry you cheap fucker, this 10 year old system is on it's last leg, time to upgrade to something from this century" :-D

I used to work in an environment like this at Reltec/Marconi/Emerson for almost ten years. The shop floor had a million of these things running. They weren't spending money to replace them back then, and they damn sure ain't trying to spend the money to replace them now.

It's not a simple process...these computers are controlling machines with very specific duties, they aren't easily or cheaply replaced.

If I can get away for a while, I'll head over to that shop I was talking about to see what they might have.

That's be cool. Let me know what you find.

Or, "sorry you cheap fucker, this 10 year old system is on it's last leg, time to upgrade to something from this century" :-D

Yeah, that'll work as good as my earlier suggestion.

I used to work in an environment like this at Reltec/Marconi/Emerson for almost ten years. The shop floor had a million of these things running. They weren't spending money to replace them back then, and they damn sure ain't trying to spend the money to replace them now.

It's not a simple process...these computers are controlling machines with very specific duties, they aren't easily or cheaply replaced.

Exactly correct. For industrial applications there are literally MILLIONS of old 386 and 486 controlled machines running out there. To change them over is only slightly less than a complete replacement of the machine.

Exactly correct. For industrial applications there are literally MILLIONS of old 386 and 486 controlled machines running out there. To change them over is only slightly less than a complete replacement of the machine.

Which is what we're dealing with on a machine we have here! Fortunately, the problem with it ended up being the cpu fan had gone bad, causing it to overheat, therowing a BSOD. It's a Windows 95 machine! :eek:

Which is what we're dealing with on a machine we have here! Fortunately, the problem with it ended up being the cpu fan had gone bad, causing it to overheat, therowing a BSOD. It's a Windows 95 machine! :eek:

You're in better shape than those that run off of DOS.

I think I have a Win95 machine in the basement. Probably doesnt have a HD in it anymore, but you're welcome to it if I still have it.

True dat.

Anyone know if a pentium MB will run dos apps?

Yes. I worked for a software company that did car wash software, something like 75% of sites were still on the DOS based system, we sold lots of Pentium machines since the cheapest machines could still be used.

You're in better shape than those that run off of DOS.

It's nothing ot do with the OS, as even the latest computers can run DOS! The problem is in needing ISA slots, which is where we are, also. The company that makes the machine I'm talking about wants something like $5k to upgrade. It comes with a new PC, interface board, software, and not much else, not even a new monitor or printer, both which are required. The only problem we might run into by DIY'ing it is compatibility with a different motherboard, as they go on and on about how the boards are specific to them, etc.... I have a feeling that it's just a QC and support thing, seeing how hardware was so flaky back then, at times.

It's nothing ot do with the OS, as even the latest computers can run DOS! The problem is in needing ISA slots, which is where we are, also. The company that makes the machine I'm talking about wants something like $5k to upgrade. It comes with a new PC, interface board, software, and not much else, not even a new monitor or printer, both which are required. The only problem we might run into by DIY'ing it is compatibility with a different motherboard, as they go on and on about how the boards are specific to them, etc.... I have a feeling that it's just a QC and support thing, seeing how hardware was so flaky back then, at times.

As I understand it, its getting DOS if you dont already have it thats the problem. Isn't it true that from late XP on up DOS is not included?

As I understand it, its getting DOS if you dont already have it thats the problem. Isn't it true that from late XP on up DOS is not included?

You don't need a new OS, just a new motherboard, right? With the situation at work, I'd just use the old hard drive with a new motherboard and processor.

You don't need a new OS, just a new motherboard, right? With the situation at work, I'd just use the old hard drive with a new motherboard and processor.

I dont need DOS as I already have it on the hard drive of the machine. Its not a problem for me.

Other people with DOS based machines that haven't backed up the software DO have a problem. I think thats what he meant.

I dont need DOS as I already have it on the hard drive of the machine. Its not a problem for me.

Other people with DOS based machines that haven't backed up the software DO have a problem. I think thats what he meant.

Gotcha. Which reminds me, I need to pull the drive from that machine and backup the drive, before it fails.

Umm I used to have a bunch of old 486 computers. I think they might still be dusty in storage at my parents. Will any old 486 mobo work for you?

Probably. As long as it has 3 open ISA slots and fits in the box thats already on the panel.

I can get the dimensions tomorrow.

My bad, I thought that you might be able to run the DOS program using a Virtual DOS machine under Windows. Wasn't sure if that would allow it to access the USB bus since Windows would be handling the hardware access

That may work, but no guarantees. Some machine software is funny running under windows unless it was written for windows.

That site is bookmarked. I had to replace the power supply on a machine not to long ago that runs Windows 98. We dug through our old computers and found a matching one, plugged it in and BAM sparks everywhere. I forgot to switch it over to 220. I found one at a local computer store that has been in business for over 20 years. They had one in the back, new complete with the layer of dust holding the box together.

That site is bookmarked. I had to replace the power supply on a machine not to long ago that runs Windows 98. We dug through our old computers and found a matching one, plugged it in and BAM sparks everywhere. I forgot to switch it over to 220. I found one at a local computer store that has been in business for over 20 years. They had one in the back, new complete with the layer of dust holding the box together.

Hopefully it helps.

I spent WEEKS trying to find what I needed. If I save someone some time, it'll all be worth it.