Vintage Computer Parts

Todd#43

Any vintage computer people on here?

I'm looking for a 486 motherboard that plugs into an ISA bus so a customer can get his machine running. The CMOS battery in the old one has gone tits up. Usually I'd just replace the battery and let it go, but this board has the CMOS battery integrated into the BIOS chip.

If anyone has something that would work, let me know.

Thanks!

I believe I may actually have 1 or 2 sitting in the garage. Maybe.. Why not just pull the damn drive out and put it in a new system.

Im sure Casper has a whole stack of this shit sitting around his work.

Edited by flounder

I believe I may actually have 1 or 2 sitting in the garage. Maybe.. Why not just pull the damn drive out and put it in a new system.

If you have them let me know. I'd probably buy both of them.

I could put in a new system, but I have some constraints to work within. The main one being the location of the PC in the main electrical cabinet as well as the wiring for the I/O and the motion control. The keypad and video connections are another issue (easier to work around, but still a PITA).

Anyway, I'm trying to get this done without reinventing the wheel, if you know what I mean.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh man! I had a 486 DXII when I was a kid... I'll look in my parents' basement... but it's doubtful they kept it :(
I don't have any 486's, but I might know someone who does. Let me know if Flounder/Casper can't find one and I'll ask.

The board I need looks like this:

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9607

Of course, one like this would work too

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9606

If anyone has any of these let me know.

Ah! So what you need is a system board for a backplane type system. Industrial style. I'm not sure what's available anymore, but since I really should find something ISA based for a replacement at work, I'll be looking, and if I run across anything I'll let you know.

Believe it or not, $300.00 is WAY less than the cost to reinvent the wheel.

Anybody find anything in their basement/garage?

Ah! So what you need is a system board for a backplane type system. Industrial style. I'm not sure what's available anymore, but since I really should find something ISA based for a replacement at work, I'll be looking, and if I run across anything I'll let you know.

Exactly. The motion card and the I/O card for the machine also plug into the backplane. I suppose any 486 motherboard with at least 2 open ISA slots would work too.

Going to my parent's today for the game, I'll check today.

I appreciate it - let me know.

Have you tried computer express on bethel next to Microcenter. I used to have a bunch of old hardware and have taken a ton of it there because they'll test and resell it.
There's a place close to here that most certainly would have something, called TDR, or something like that. They're on the old 161, aka worthington rd. east of New Albany. You're not from the Columbus area though, are you?

Nope, not from the Columbus area. I know some folks down that way though.

I don't really see the point in messing with that thing. you can get brand new Toshiba laptops right now at best buy for $350.

I wouldn't spend more than a few dollars for parts for that thing. it's not really worth anything other than sentimental value.

Did you read the whole thread, genius?

This is a DOS PC that controls a machine. There's an ISA I/O card and an ISA motion card that goes into the box. The box gets bolted to the back plane of the main electrical cabinet and is connected to the I/O bus and the servo amps. If you can explain to me how I can hook up a toshiba laptop into this and run the OEM software I'm all ears.

oh you got me this time...

I thought you were trying to get some pos old desktop to work again.

and umm anyway.......get a frigging new one cheap o. lol

Yeah, I'll just tell the customer, "sorry fucker, spend $100,000.00 for a new one. This one's too fucked up to fix".

That'll work.