Property taxes, I could choke a bitch!

Uncle Punk

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2010/02/06/though-property-values-down-county-taxes-can-still-rise/

I was anticipating my taxes going down this half because of the reassessments valuing the properties down. I live across the street from the county auditor and he really got the values wrong. He is claiming our values have only fallen 7% but he could double that number and still be wrong. I have lived here fourteen years and haven't spoken to this stupid fucking democrat but it might be about time. It still wouldn't matter if he had gotten the values correct they would just charge us more because they can't do with less money like the rest of us who have been hit by this economic downturn.

Try appealing the valuation. It's worked for some folks I know. The squeaking wheel gets the grease. BTW, a county or city auditor's (and most other local elected officials) actions have very little to do with party affiliation. Unlike lawmakers, these are the worker bees and they have a specific duty to perform.

http://www.ohiorevaluation.com/appeals.shtml

When I bought my house, the bank did an appraisal to make sure the house was worth at least what I was getting a mortgage for ($50k below county's appraised value). So, the appraisal was done and it was appraised for $50k below county's appraised value because that's how much my mortgage was for and that's all they cared about. I appealed to my county, included the "appraisal" and, voila, my property valuation was lowered by $50k, saving me $100 a month in property tax :D

The county auditor lives directly across the street from me; his homes value is in the linked article. His value has been reduced by 7% but he paid a few dollars more. I have used his value in the past to get mine reduced but most of that was because they had my home's square footage wrong. They would not refund any of the money that I had been paying because of their error and it had been happening for years.

The point of the article is that no matter what your values are they will raise the rate to generate the same amount of money. That pisses me off. I do understand its state law they are working under and the local auditor is just a book keeper.

The whole county had a value reassessment and values went down as they should have. I was expecting to see a reduction in my property tax bill because of it. That didn't happen because they raised the rate to generate the same amount of money. Fuck, my income went down dramatically last year and I adjusted my spending accordingly. The county is not capable of the same fiscal responsibility.

The only way I could get rid of my house is to burn it down right now. The neighborhood has gone to shit in the last 5 years...and I'm so upside down in my mortgage, if I shit right now, it will slide down my stomach and into my mouth.

Renting my house out and renting my own place is NOT an option.

+1. Just gonna' keep paying on her and hope things swing back around. Of course' date=' I didn't really buy this house so I could sell it in a few years. I bought it so I didn't throw money away on rent. If I stay here for the next 10, 15, 20 years.. no big deal.[/quote']

Agreed. I didn't buy it for an investment, I bought it because it served it's purpose after a divorce...where I didn't have the money the buy a house and fix everything wrong. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy the same house again. The house is in great shape...can't complain. It's just the neighborhood and the market both suck.

The monthly payment I can handle no problem. I'm not going to be one of these people who walk away from their financial responsibility just because their 'investment' isn't looking so hot.

Most homes aren't good investments especially if you mortgage them but we all have to live somewhere.

What does your shitty home situation have to do with my taxes NOT going down? Inya you are in the same county, your home value has gone down but your property taxes haven’t. Are you okay with that? I'm not getting any satisfaction out of you guys.

I like to go hiking in the mountains.

Most homes aren't good investments especially if you mortgage them but we all have to live somewhere.

What does your shitty home situation have to do with my taxes NOT going down? Inya you are in the same county, your home value has gone down but your property taxes haven’t. Are you okay with that? I'm not getting any satisfaction out of you guys.

I like to go hiking in the mountains.

My taxes haven't gone down...I'm not happy, and we will continue to jack your thread as we see fit.

The monthly payment I can handle no problem. I'm not going to be one of these people who walk away from their financial responsibility just because their 'investment' isn't looking so hot.

In hind sight, I would've gotten my ass in gear and kept my house, instead of being asked to leave. At the time, I was too interested in partying, and haveing fun. I've learned the lessons, and have become a little bit more responsible. The nice thing is that I like where I am now a LOT more.

In hind sight, I would've gotten my ass in gear and kept my house, instead of being asked to leave. At the time, I was too interested in partying, and haveing fun. I've learned the lessons, and have become a little bit more responsible. The nice thing is that I like where I am now a LOT more.

I guess the best thing out of that, is that you learned something from the experience.

And that you've managed to keep this thread derailed...which I'm happy about.

I guess the best thing out of that, is that you learned something from the experience.

Yes I did, and I've learned even more since. I also gained a family in the wake of it all! :lol:

And that you've managed to keep this thread derailed...which I'm happy about.

I try my best!

my property taxes are BS this year also. neighborhood went to shit and aprasils havent changed for me either. i went another direction to try to get it all straight again. switch that shit to a ten year loan. thats what i did and pay the bitch off before you retire. You would be supprised the rates you get on a ten year. I got a 4.9 % and got 5 years left to pay on it ! if you can get the interest rate realy low, your payments woulnt go up as much as you think ?