Maybe I'm crazy, but...

SWing'R

Number one moron here. This wasn't a question of where the tires should go as much as it was a debate of economics. The newer tires were going up front to get them closer in sync with the rears. If the best tires always go up front why would we ever rotate the more used tires from the front to the rear? Economics is why. Most people don't drive on the edge of traction most of the time. It's about transportation and the economics of it along with each person’s level of accepted risk.

If we were worried about the best traction without cost being a factor we would all ride our bikes on sunny days using race tires and tire warmers. Not gonna happen because most of us don't push to that level of traction on the street. We buy tires that will last us longer than race tires at the expense of traction because we don't ride on the edge of traction for the most part.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you getting snow tires at seasons end?

would have made more sense to get snow tires in december...

I was trying to get a set of "snow" tires on the front because we still had lots of snow around and the traction of the front tires was horrible.

All I really needed to do was rotate the back tires to the front cause they had more tread, that would have solve my initial problem.

Case closed anyway, I bought 4 new 60K mile wider all seasons anyway.

Right' date=' and I agree, but if folks would rotate their tires like they should they'd be buying 4 new tires, instead of 2. My basic argument is this: If you can tell a significant difference in your front tire wear against your rear tire wear, you're doing it wrong. I should have to use a scale to figure out which tires have more tread. It should not be painfully obvious to the average WalMart cashier.[/quote']

Exactly!

With the tripletreds that I put on the wifes car, they wear so little that even with probably around 10k on the fronts, they weren't worn enough to be noticed by eyeballing them. We should be good on tires for several years, on both cars.

Right' date=' and I agree, but if folks would rotate their tires like they should they'd be buying 4 new tires, instead of 2. My basic argument is this: If you can tell a significant difference in your front tire wear against your rear tire wear, you're doing it wrong. I should have to use a scale to figure out which tires have more tread. It should not be painfully obvious to the average WalMart cashier.[/quote']

What we should and shouldn't do wasn't the point; the point was the dealership shouldn't be making economic decisions for their customer. There could have been a multitude of reasons for wanting the tires where he wanted them, all valid to his situation. The tire shops logic while valid isn't the only opinion when making the decision. I really don't want to explain my decision to a retailer as to why I am purchasing their product, sell me the motherfucker. Give me your recommendation and if that information trumps my reasoning I will follow you recommendation.

The best of tires go on the REAR of the vehicle. This is because you have no control over the rear tires. Front tires steer, stop, have more weight on them, etc. The rears have nothing, hence why the best tires go on the rear. The same goes for suspension, always change the rears if you have a choice. The rear suspension is all you got to keep the tires on the road.

Its also not about what you want or the retailer wants. You have to remember that sometimes you have to take advice from someone knowledgeable instead of being bullheaded. This is half the problem with society, no one wants to listen and the consumer thinks they no it all because of a "friend or internet". I agree that they should have talked to you or your wife first, so you could make an educated decision. I would have taken the tires back too. Then again im just a measily mechanic so i dont do tires lol

I was with you' date=' right up until you went all "you're too stupid to know for yourself". That is NOT the problem. If some asshat wants to put his bald tires on the rear of his Town&Country.. so what? If he spins out of control, sending his entire family down a ravine to die in a terrible explosion.. .so what?[/quote']

That's when the lawyers come in and find someone to blame it on! It's never his client's fault, there's always someone else to blame and it's his job to make them pay.

Sad, but that's what it comes to many times these days.

Interesting....

Here's a video with a side by side comparison...maybe new on rear on FWD is correct? I'm gonna look into it more before I retract my statements...Personally I still want better traction on the front drive tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-basics/reartire-change/

This is the exact video I was going to search for when I started reading this thread. Always put the best tires on the rear of the car, regardless of the drive axle.

Even with front wheel drive the new tires should go on the rear !! The shop is correct !! this way is much safer !!!!

with bad tires in the rear ,the rear will slide out and with good tires on the front, you will overcompensate when countersteering and make it much harder to controll. maybee you woulnt get as good traction accelerating but you will have much better controll in a slide with the new ones on the rear. also you have more weight up front already in a front wheel drive.

michelin lost a loootttt of money because someone sued them because the best tires were installed on the front and the car fish tailed and a lady was paralyzed. where i work we are an authorized michelin dealer and are required to install new tires on the rear UNLESS asked different by the customer. They should have done what u asked

The answer to the title......Yes Dave, you are crazy.....
They should have done what u asked

So I guess I am crazy :fruit:but at least several people agree that the shop should have honored my request, afterall I was paying for them.

Anyway, as mentioned, case closed, new tires all around.

Southbound on 23, North of Marion today, I saw a car I wanted to ask the driver about their back tires. Overtaking me pretty fast, maybe 50 yards back, they tried to cross over one of those slush/snow ridges in a lane. Didn't work, they spun twice, then maybe hit gas or brakes and shot off the road backwards, and spun again. If that's the result of bad tires on the back, you'all better get some better tires on the back of front wheel drive.

I could see that even an experienced driver would have spun that one, it happened too quick. The back end just came around fast. The best one could hope for was to keep it on the road when it spun, instead of getting stuck in the snow off the road.

I'm going to guess that an inexperienced driver tried to cross the snow and slush at a steep angle under throttle, instead of gently, and the front end slowed down, causing the back end to break loose and whip around. Count to three, and that's how long it took to spin twice, shoot off the road, and spin again.

Edited by ReconRat

There were a lot of words written in this thread, I scanned though most of it but got bored so sorry if this is a re-post.

You can go to a "popular" brake shop with perfectly good brakes and ask "what do I need?" and walk away with a $700 bill.

Tire shops like ALL other shops are in business for profit. That being said, the more they sell the better the bottom line.

They came up with the "rear tire" sanrio to SCARE people into buy a full set. so people will say "even though I have new front tires and I have a front wheel drive car it's still not SAFE?"

It sales people not SAFTEY. It's hype created to sell more tires.

Edited by ShankroidBeast

yeah, I'm glad this is the first year I finally broke down and put some snow tires on. I put them on (all 4 ;) ) during the first or second big storm in the beginning of January. I figured that meant it wouldn't snow the rest of the winter. I wish that it would have worked out that way, at least I have traction now.