First time shooting

scottb

Today I got to shoot my Rem 870 and a Weatherby 308. I went to Walmart and bought a soft side case, ear muffs, and a 100 round box of Federal "general purpose" ammo.

First impressions. I was shooting at a friend's property. He is an experienced hunter. The basic ground rules were common sense, keep the safety on until ready to fire, no finger on the trigger until ready to fire, and ALWAYS stay behind the shooter. We would call out when the safety was switched off and on.

The Rem 12 gauge kicks HARD. Mine has a 18.5 barrel, cylinder bore. We were shooting at cardboard targets and water filled wiper fluid bottles. It was interesting to see the pattern difference at 20 feet compared to 30 feet. After round 15, the spent shell would not eject from the chamber. My friend thought it was a "bad" round. So off to the picnic table for some gun surgery. After taking the barrel off, we were able to get the spent casing removed. It appeared the round was slightly not round on one side and got hung up on the ejector clip. So we finished off the the box of 25 and opened another box of 25. Spent round 28 also would not eject. Back to the picnic table to remove the stuck shell. Is it possible we had another "bad" round? I am thinking the Rem 870 is super reliable, so it must be just the ammo. After looking, it seems the little "finger" on the bolt? that grabs the shell when you eject is not quite smooth, possibley causing the shell to not sit flush in the barrel. Since we were not positive it the jams were caused by the ammo or something with the gun, we cleaned it and put the Rem 870 away. I will speak with the place I purchased the gun and have them look at it.

Then the next one. The Weatherby 308. What a sweet gun. We were shooting at a paper target from 100 yards. Not too much recoil, but very loud,even with ear muffs. Must be something to do with the 168 grain load.

Pics below. I suspect that my first shot was wide right because I was expecting the boom/recoil so I might not have smoothly pulled the trigger.

On the pics with me shooting the Weatherby, I knew I was having my picture taken, so no finger on the trigger. The Nikon scope makes shooting very easy. All pictures are from my camera phone.

rem870.jpg

weatherby2.jpg

weatherby.jpg

weatherby%20shot.jpg

weatherby%20shooting.jpg

weatherby%20308%20100%20yards.jpg

rounds.jpg

more%20rounds.jpg

I think it helped have an experienced shooter with me for my first time. Came in handy when the gun jammed. The rules were common sense, but had to be said. I'll report back what the gun shop says about 2 jams in 28 rounds.

The Weatherby is not mine. After the fact, it turns out it is considered a "sniper" rifle and is kinda pricey. The factory trigger has been upgraded to a "hair" trigger. It seems that as soon as your fingerprint touches the trigger, it shoots. Next time I shoot, I will have to practice the breathing while shooting. Honestly, I was holding my breathe as I was shooting the Weatherby. And too, my friend had the rifle sighted-in very well. So it was easy to be acccurate.BTW, my shoulder is sore.

I think it helped have an experienced shooter with me for my first time. Came in handy when the gun jammed. The rules were common sense, but had to be said. I'll report back what the gun shop says about 2 jams in 28 rounds.

The Weatherby is not mine. After the fact, it turns out it is considered a "sniper" rifle and is kinda pricey. The factory trigger has been upgraded to a "hair" trigger. It seems that as soon as your fingerprint touches the trigger, it shoots. Next time I shoot, I will have to practice the breathing while shooting. Honestly, I was holding my breathe as I was shooting the Weatherby. And too, my friend had the rifle sighted-in very well. So it was easy to be acccurate.BTW, my shoulder is sore.

Yeah the rules are simple but you'd surprised (or not) how many people will point a loaded gun at someone and not even realize it. :beating:

He may have told you, but when you are going to shoot, breath normally then when you exhale, you have a natural pause before you inhale, squeeze then. Enough range time you'll be hitting a dime at 300 yards. :D

That Weatherby is a nice rifle. I'm not much of a shotgun fan but it sounds like you had some fun with it with the exception of the jams. Hopefully it's nothing that needs to go back to the manufacturer. Oh, and welcome to the addicting fun of shooting:D

The Weatherby is not mine. After the fact, it turns out it is considered a "sniper" rifle and is kinda pricey. The factory trigger has been upgraded to a "hair" trigger.

Please dont call it a "sniper rifle"!!! :wtf: And there is nothing special about that model. Its a regular Weatherby hunting rifle chambered in .308.

You have a long way to come on your groups but you will get better with time and practice. Its a fun hobby.

Edited by flounder

I highly doubt it had a "hair" trigger. Anything with a light trigger pull gets classified that way by newbies. My guess is its probably sitting around 2 lbs (~1000grams) or so at best. That's on the heavy end for a good target trigger, but light for a hunting rifle like that.

I've shot stuff with less than 100g triggers, now that is in the arena of "you touch it, it shoots."

Whats wrong with you Max don't you know we are all to be experts before we are allowed to post on the subject of shooting a gun?! Such talk from newbs is not gonna cut it for our two pro shooters. So all kiddin aside glad you got out and had some fun. Cause that is why most of us shoot, for fun not to have a stick stuffed up our ass. Man I am glad I have never said any range reports before I might be banned from the firearms section for calling a rifle something its not!

Damn, you guys are being awful critical of a guy who admitted in the thread title that its was his first time shooting.

The intent from both of us was to inform, not be critical. Maybe I came across as a dick, but how does anyone learn without pointing out what one does right and what one does wrong?

If youll notice, I never said anything to talk down to him. By asking to please not call it a "sniper rifle" is no different then if you were calling your motorcycle an AMA race bike.

They are both bikes but in completely different categories if you get the point. Part of becoming an knowledgeable shooter is using the correct verbiage. If someone came on here asking how to wheelie their new bike you would give them all sorts of hell and squid comments.

I just wanted to let him know not to call it a sniper rifle because by saying that around more knowledgeable people, they will automatically consider him a "squid of sorts" when its really that he is just trying to learn and only knows what he has been told.

Make sense?

PS.. who shit in your cornflakes this morning..

Edited by flounder

PS.. who shit in your cornflakes this morning..

Who shit in my cornflakes? Coming from you? Thats hilarious.

I just find your gun snobbery astounding. You are always at the ready to correct people in a looking down your nose fashion on anything relating to guns. It makes you seem like an asshole.

Cut the guy some slack, brother. We all gotta start somewhere.

No comments were taken as harsh, thanks for correcting me. It was my first time shooting. I should have been more clear, the trigger was upgraded to be more sensitive, and the owner mentioned it was a "hair" trigger. And in hind site, it really is a hunting rifle.

I do know I have lot to learn, but over all, other then the jams on the Rem, I had a great time.

I am taking the Rem into the place I purchased it from, hope they can determine the cause of the jams.

Who shit in my cornflakes? Coming from you? Thats hilarious.

I just find your gun snobbery astounding. You are always at the ready to correct people in a looking down your nose fashion on anything relating to guns. It makes you seem like an asshole.

Cut the guy some slack, brother. We all gotta start somewhere.

Cut him some slack?? Seriously? You need to re-read what I said and then realize the context was to help learn and not to put down. Im sure I could go through OR and find plenty of squid type comments towards other people from you. And yes I am an asshole so thanks. :) But right now youre the prime definition of

10248KettleCallingPotBlack.jpg

Edited by flounder

Please dont call it a "sniper rifle"!!! :wtf: And there is nothing special about that model. Its a regular Weatherby hunting rifle chambered in .308.

You have a long way to come on your groups but you will get better with time and practice. Its a fun hobby.

This isnt your typical gun snobbery? Oh, so sorry. :rolleyes:

And yes I am an asshole so thanks.

Duly noted.

cletus-simpsons.jpg

Edited by max power

So a bit of an update, I took the 870 to shop I purchased it. The Federal ammo I was shooting has aluminum at the bottom of it, not brass. The guy behind the counter said even though those rounds should have ejected, he suggested I switch to "high brass" rounds to allow for proper seating. He gave me a box of Winchester rounds to shoot. He visually inspected the 870, but explained he could not take it apart to look at and if I was not comfortable with 870, I would have to send it back to Remington since it was still under warrenty.

So, I think I might try shooting the brass rounds and see. But I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the shotgun. The shop guy indicated that he has not heard of any issues with the 870.Not sure what to do. I know Remington will want the shotgun sent to them for inspection, maybe I will do that just for the piece of mind.

Specifically, are the rounds failing to extract (be pulled from the chamber) or failing to eject (pulled from chamber)?

The former would point to either bad extractors (rough like you mentioned and its getting caught on the shell, or a wrong tension from the springs) and the latter would point to a bad ejector.

Also, the ignore the advice about high brass, but trying a different ammo is worth a shot. I highly doubt its a "seating" issue. I believe the 870 won't fire if the bolt doesn't lockup with the chamber. If it did fire and there was a headspace issue causing it to be out of battery, you'd be here posting about how your new shotgun blew up on you.

it should shoot any 12ga shells without a hitch...my mossberg has NEVER had any problems and its shot aplenty shells...i have alot of friends with 870's and they all say they are the best thing ever...so idk why your having trouble. Good luck, and the 308 is sick!!

The round will make its way properly from the mag tube in the chamber and seat into the barrel. After the round is fired, you can not rack the slide to eject the shell. The "manual" (action bar lock, as listed in the owners manual)release lever does not move, and seems to be stuck in the upward most position ( close to the bottom of the mag tube). The finger on the breech bolt appears to be in the correct postion at the base of the shell, but you can not slide anything backward to release the shell from the bottom ( chamber side) of the barrel.

Specifically, are the rounds failing to extract (be pulled from the chamber) or failing to eject (pulled from chamber)?

The former would point to either bad extractors (rough like you mentioned and its getting caught on the shell, or a wrong tension from the springs) and the latter would point to a bad ejector.

Also, the ignore the advice about high brass, but trying a different ammo is worth a shot. I highly doubt its a "seating" issue. I believe the 870 won't fire if the bolt doesn't lockup with the chamber. If it did fire and there was a headspace issue causing it to be out of battery, you'd be here posting about how your new shotgun blew up on you.