Tittle issue / help

skulls

ok here is the deal i am buying a truck in indiana today, i am taking my mother in laws plates and going to pick it up . what the hell do i have to do to get this think legal anyone know . do i have to goto bmv in indiana and do title work and then have it transfered when i get here or do i just risk it and drive back on these plates and let ohio take car of it . never bought a out of state vehicle before anyone know what the protocol is ?

not sure about the plate issue, although the indiana bmv may issue a temp tag. You'll take the indiana title and the vehicle to the title bureau, they will "inspect it" aka check the vin to make sure it matches, and issue you a new title. Then go to the BMV and get plates.

I would call the Indiana bmv to see if they'll do a temp tag.

so the title will be indiana then i have to take to ohio bmv and have it transfered or something?

This is easy. I lived in Indiana for 6 months and bought my car there and when I moved back had to get this taken care of.

First off if Indiana is a notary state, goto a bank with the seller and get title notarized and signed into your name. While you are there it wouldn't hurt to get a bill of sale, most banks will do it for free.

Now you have 2 options, get 30 day tags from Indiana BMV or use a current plate you have IN YOUR NAME and put it on said truck. If you are pulled over show the signed over title and bill of sale as proof you just bought it. Or just go plateless, which I don't reccomend.

When you get it back to Ohio you must take it to an OH BMV that does out of state inspections. Bascially all they do is check the VIN. When you receive the inspection paper then you can transfer the title and get plates

this is easy. I lived in indiana for 6 months and bought my car there and when i moved back had to get this taken care of.

First off if indiana is a notary state, goto a bank with the seller and get title notarized and signed into your name. While you are there it wouldn't hurt to get a bill of sale, most banks will do it for free.

Now you have 2 options, get 30 day tags from indiana bmv or use a current plate you have in your name and put it on said truck. If you are pulled over show the signed over title and bill of sale as proof you just bought it. Or just go plateless, which i don't reccomend.

When you get it back to ohio you must take it to an oh bmv that does out of state inspections. Bascially all they do is check the vin. When you receive the inspection paper then you can transfer the title and get plates

edit... Wrong screename!

This is easy. I lived in Indiana for 6 months and bought my car there and when I moved back had to get this taken care of.

First off if Indiana is a notary state, goto a bank with the seller and get title notarized and signed into your name. While you are there it wouldn't hurt to get a bill of sale, most banks will do it for free.

Now you have 2 options, get 30 day tags from Indiana BMV or use a current plate you have IN YOUR NAME and put it on said truck. If you are pulled over show the signed over title and bill of sale as proof you just bought it. Or just go plateless, which I don't reccomend.

When you get it back to Ohio you must take it to an OH BMV that does out of state inspections. Bascially all they do is check the VIN. When you receive the inspection paper then you can transfer the title and get plates

False.. I lived in Indiana for 21 years, and unless they just switched, Indiana is NOT a notary state.

False.. I lived in Indiana for 21 years, and unless they just switched, Indiana is NOT a notary state.

;)

Pwnd :p

haha no biggie. It helps that I am currently in the process of buying a car from out of state as well so I had all this info at the top of my head. I just didn't know if Indiana was a notary state because when I bought my car there, lived there and then moved here I had a lien so I never actually had the title in my hands

But Ohio IS. better safe than sorry.

I've not purchased a car out of state, but my old bike was from NJ. Unless it's got a salvage title, they're just going to do a "VIN inspection" for like $3 to verify that the out-of-state title you're holding matches the vehicle.

in my case, I trailered my bike home, but to drive a car home, I would imagine you'll have to take the title to the Indiana BMV, and buy a 30-day tag.

Once you're back in OH, you'll have to buy new plates, or transfer existing plates like any other vehicle.

I don't believe OH plates can transfer ownership - only from vehicle to vehicle that the same owner possesses. What i'm saying is, I don't think there's any reason to take your mother-in-law's plates, because they won't be able to be used on that vehicle until it's registered and titled in HER name.

I didn't have to deal with purchasing an out of state vehicle, but I did just recently transfer my Arizona titles to Ohio. All they did was an inspection which, like previously stated, only consisted of a VIN check to make sure things matched. I would recommend getting a temp tag for the car from Indiana if you're able to. I don't know what the law is here but in AZ, you CANNOT put a plate (even if it's your own from another vehicle) on a vehicle that it's not officially registered to. In Arizona that's a felony for which you'll be arrested, and your vehicle impounded. No joke!! I don't know if you're allowed to do that here but I would talk to Ohio and Indiana Department of Public Safety to check and see if you're able to do that before trying it.

I didn't have to deal with purchasing an out of state vehicle, but I did just recently transfer my Arizona titles to Ohio. All they did was an inspection which, like previously stated, only consisted of a VIN check to make sure things matched. I would recommend getting a temp tag for the car from Indiana if you're able to. I don't know what the law is here but in AZ, you CANNOT put a plate (even if it's your own from another vehicle) on a vehicle that it's not officially registered to. In Arizona that's a felony for which you'll be arrested, and your vehicle impounded. No joke!! I don't know if you're allowed to do that here but I would talk to Ohio and Indiana Department of Public Safety to check and see if you're able to do that before trying it.

Technically the law is the same in Ohio. Not sure about Indiana. However when I bought my old Camaro I used 1 plate from my other car and put it on the Camaro. Was pulled over for no front plate and he asked me why I had the wrong plate on it when he saw my ID matched the plate. I showed the cop the bill of sale and title signed over to me and he said "well that would explain the no front plate and wrong plate, straight home or the BMV son". Whether this was a nice cop or an "understanded" practice I am not sure.

I also have heard that its an understanded thing in Ohio where you have 24 hours to street a car before it needs plates. This is heresay and I don't know whether it is true or not, just something I heard from a car buddy

ok here is the deal i am buying a truck in indiana today, i am taking my mother in laws plates and going to pick it up . what the hell do i have to do to get this think legal anyone know . do i have to goto bmv in indiana and do title work and then have it transfered when i get here or do i just risk it and drive back on these plates and let ohio take car of it . never bought a out of state vehicle before anyone know what the protocol is ?

I bought my bike in Indiana. So I risked it and took an ohio plate to get it home. - You have to take the title to a notory at a dealer to apply for an ohio title--- I dont remember exactly but the dealer notory knew what to do. Just ask. Then go to the title place and transfer over, and get plates.

It went smooth no problem.

MD

Edited by mello dude

no tag = failure to display, which if you get pulled over and explain situation, probably go home or to bmv.

wrong tag= ficticious tags, a little more severe of a charge, cop may or may not let you go with words.

That being said I would put the tag on it and drive, obey the laws and get it home.