Tail of the Dragon

Tbone9191

Weve been there many times and for me there are 3 ways to go. First, if your riding, I like 23 south from Columbus, all the way to Ashville NC, then over on 19/70 smokey mountain pkwy then 129 through Robbinsville NC, right through the dragon. Thats the long scenic rout. Its a beautiful long days ride. Second theres the direct rout. From Columbus take 71 south to 75 south to knoxville Tn, hop on 40 then take 129 thru deals. 3rd is the sportbike trip. Trailer the bikes right down 75 and stay in Maryville and ride the mountain roads from there. There are many thing to see in the area. WWW.Tailofthedragon.com, is a great website for area motorcycle friendly businesses. Good luck, and have fun.

Weve been there many times and for me there are 3 ways to go. First, if your riding, I like 23 south from Columbus, all the way to Ashville NC, then over on 19/70 smokey mountain pkwy then 129 through Robbinsville NC, right through the dragon. Thats the long scenic rout. Its a beautiful long days ride. Second theres the direct rout. From Columbus take 71 south to 75 south to knoxville Tn, hop on 40 then take 129 thru deals. 3rd is the sportbike trip. Trailer the bikes right down 75 and stay in Maryville and ride the mountain roads from there. There are many thing to see in the area. WWW.Tailofthedragon.com, is a great website for area motorcycle friendly businesses. Good luck, and have fun.

Great stuff here man. Thanks for the input. I will probably go with the first route. Sounds like what I am looking for.

I went last year and am going again this year in July. I took the Interstate down then spent theday in the Deal's Gap area. Make sure you ride the Cherehola Parkway and Rt 28 (The river road) while you are there.

I opted to go over and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Boone , NC for the ride home. This year I plan on doing all of the BRP :)

its an amazing place. we're planning our first trip of the year now and plan to make a couple more down there this year!

we stay at the luxbury inn an suites in maryville. 100 bucks a night for 2 queen beds, a fold out couch, an a kitchen.

You speak in the 1st person plural a lot.

How's 23 going down? It looked a bit too scenic for my liking.

23 is pretty boring until you get out of Ohio. Even then it's pretty boring. But it will take you through Pikesville, KY. You could stop by McCoy Motorsports and say hi. That's the route I plan to take this year.

To anyone who might be interested, you are more than welcome to join me for the trip. You would be on ur own for the ride home because I will be heading to Datona after that but would welcome the company. Just putting it out there.

Are you taking the Shadow?

This sounds like a fun trip but I don't think i'll be able to make it this year with the schedule but you never know. I heard good and bad things about it. My one friend goes there almost every year with Audi Group and he says he always sees people crash and stuff.

Then you're were doing it wrong.

chit happens......heavy throttle hand + greasy tire + ZX9 = High Side.......

I lived 30 minutes away from the Dragon and was there riding on a weekly basis. Guess I got a bit cocky and over confident...

Edited by garysol1

23 is pretty boring until you get out of Ohio..

I really like 62 from just south of Columbus to Lexington. Get to see all the big horse farms. Then slab it the rest of the way down is how I usually go. Only adds about 20 minutes to the total drive time vs freeway the whole way.