wont go into 2nd gear

Saacattack

This might seem kind of stupid but i don't know what's going on:(. so i just bought a 2005 zx6r and i've been testing it in my garage and driveway because i don't feel comfortable trying to ride it on the streets yet. i can get it into 1st no problem and neutral. but i can't get it in 2nd. am i missing something? i've turned the bike on and tried to put it in 2nd gear and nothing, and i don't have enough room or space to try and get it into 2nd from 1st gear while moving. it just wont click up from neutral. so i was wondering what your opinions are on this.

thanks

Some Kawasaki's have a positive neutral finder and will not shift beyond 1st gear unless the bike is moving. I'm not sure if your specific bike has this feature or not.

That was gonna be by guess. My ninja 250 had the positive neutral finder and wouldn't do into second unless moving. You're going to have to take it on the road to find out for sure.

Ok, sorry for the late question here, on the flip side of this, what if i can shift my bike through the gears with my hand sittin on a rear stand not moving? Is that a bad thing? Its a 94 ninja zx6e, just curious.

Yours just might not have to positive neutral finder. My FZR will shift through all gears while sitting still.

Ok, sorry for the late question here, on the flip side of this, what if i can shift my bike through the gears with my hand sittin on a rear stand not moving? Is that a bad thing? Its a 94 ninja zx6e, just curious.

what does your hand sitting on the rear stand have to do with any of this. if your hand is on the rear stand, where is the bike?

i've been testing it in my garage and driveway because i don't feel comfortable trying to ride it on the streets yet.

That's a bad place to be. I wouldn't worry about second gear. Buy protective gear and go ride it. Slowly.

This might seem kind of stupid but i don't know what's going on:(. so i just bought a 2005 zx6r and i've been testing it in my garage and driveway because i don't feel comfortable trying to ride it on the streets yet. i can get it into 1st no problem and neutral. but i can't get it in 2nd. am i missing something? i've turned the bike on and tried to put it in 2nd gear and nothing, and i don't have enough room or space to try and get it into 2nd from 1st gear while moving. it just wont click up from neutral. so i was wondering what your opinions are on this.

thanks

Kawasaki added positive on most bikes starting in 2004.

As others said, this is likely your problem. Pop it up on a stand, pull the choke, start the bike and shift into second, the rear wheel needs to be moving ~3 mph to shift into 2nd, you'll notice sometimes when coming to a stop it'll go to neutral when downshifting from second.

As others said, this is likely your problem. Pop it up on a stand, pull the choke, start the bike and shift into second, the rear wheel needs to be moving ~3 mph to shift into 2nd, you'll notice sometimes when coming to a stop it'll go to neutral when downshifting from second.

I think they added it on their sportbikes even sooner IIRC. I had a couple ZX6Rs and a ZX9 that all had it.

I'm sure that's all the issue was since it was fine once on the street. :)

I think they added it on their sportbikes even sooner IIRC. I had a couple ZX6Rs and a ZX9 that all had it.

I'm sure that's all the issue was since it was fine once on the street. :)

Yah you're right, I'm finding it on bikes from 1995....

either way, there you go OP

• 4 weeks later...
what does your hand sitting on the rear stand have to do with any of this. if your hand is on the rear stand, where is the bike?

hahahahaha, sorry to rehash an old thread here, but really...apparently i need a punctuation check on my computer. I meant shifting through the gears with my hand on the shifter, not on the rear stand, lmao...i see how this could be misconstrued though...good catch, hahaha

They don't have chokes. There is only a FAST IDLE on the bars on the bike. It's fuel injected too.;)