Deals Gap... any tips?

curby

ok, so i'm planning a trip to the Gap in May. i have questions...

1. whats weather like in May? rainy/cold?

2. sights? I'm really going just to ride 129 this year. but anything along the way is good.

3. camping or room? Not sure of how many (if any) are going with me.

any info will help. thanks fellas.

I was there in 2007, before the local PD got crazy. Be very careful with your speed there. As for places to stay. We had a cabin at Fontania's(spelling). Not bad with 4 of us, and it's about 5 miles from the start point and a gas station on the NC side.

We went in April with the RX7 Club and the weather was great, 65ish. Great temps for getting traction and keeping the car cool. Other than rain, I'd say you are going to be fine. Just watch your fuel. There are few places to refuel there. And the cost of fuel was jacked up by about .25 a gallon.

As for sights to see/ride. The Blue ridge parkway is right there. I did not get on it, but it's on my todo list. Long sweeping turns and some have banks from what I've been told.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

found out there was nice water falls out there, but i didnt find out until i got back so i'm not sure where they are but i here they are worth a visit. You got to hit the Hell bender - 28 (right off the dragon) and the Skyway for nice sweepers. If you wait i nice slow ride for a day check out the foothill parkway and ride through the smokies starting from the Cherokee NC which is about 45 mins or so from Robbinsville. There is also a sweet place for breakfast there call Tony's or something...wish i could remember the name....sorry

unless thats a bad idea... let me know.

Depends on who's staying there and if ya wanna sleep. If it's a noisy crowd there that night - you ain't sleeping. But it'll be more than fun for the first time there.

I'm heading down April 30- May 2, let me know if you'll be there then.

Enjoy!

yeah, i doubt i'll be sleeping, more partying.

i'm looking at May 14th weekend.

Be sure to bring poarty supplies with you then - no beers available at CRoT. There's a bar further south on 28 at Fontana, but I don't know if they do carryout or not. Pretty limited bar as well.

Food is also limited at CRoT, so you'll wanna bring some stuff. They often do a cookout there that you can buy into, but it's not every night. Might ask them when you make a reservation.

Last time I was there (september) they were selling beer at the Deal's Gap Store.

Yeah, but that's only draft beer and not for carry out I think.

They have Bass, Bud and one or two others. Store closes pretty early,too.

I was robbed by the police there. I got a ticket in 2006 there. I sent the ticket and payment in when I got home. So I go to renew my license, and NC has suspended my license. For missing a non-mandatory court date. You know, the thing you sign off on when sending in a payment.

So I ask what it would take to get the hold released. Another $50.00, mind you- some 4 years after the ticket. And they couldn't take a payment over the phone. But a service they offer can do it, for an additional $36.00.

FUCK YOU NORTH CAROLINA. Next time I go that way, I will be sure to keep my money in Tennessee.

Cops in that area are really horrible to deal with. You get pulled over and you can hear the bango's in the back ground. You're fucked. There are several YouTube vids of people making a run and counting 10+ cops in 11 miles.

There'sd only 2-3 places where the cops hang out - if ya knwo those and be cool in those areas, then you'll have no problems.

Don't wail through the Gap itself the first time - go slow and see if there are any cops around. You won't have any porblems if you pay attention.

eric you better still be going with us the 14-18th i got yuo a room for you an ur indy homies.

When is that again? April or May? I can either...or both.:p

I gotta start writing this shit down...