Fork upgrades: possible to do it myself?

Harb67

I'm looking at upgrading the forks on my Ninja 650r. I'm planning on putting in some Traxxion springs, Race Tech valve emulators, and new forks seals/oil since I'd have everything apart anyway.

How difficult is it for a normal person (well, 2 people) to do fork work in their own garage with their own tools? In a perfect world I'd send everything off to 35 Motorsports and not worry about it, but in my current situation I'd rather just attempt it myself if it's at all possible. I've got stands and the typical tools you'd expect someone to own (i.e. no specialty tools for working on suspension).

Any input is welcome...I'd love to be able to do this project over spring break when I'm finally home with my bike :)

i would not try it till after you have seen it done. It may be fairly easy,but its prob not worth the risk. Are those forks inverted? I have watched many times and its fairly simple,but its ur life on them so really double check it all.

Standard forks, not inverted.

My greatest concern is that any time compressed springs are involved there's a chance things will go wrong very quickly. I'm very meticulous when working on things like this and I do lots of planning before I even touch a wrench, but I realize that some things are simply best left to the pros.

Can you do it...potentially yes...worth the concern, worry, and hassle...to me I say know. I would much rather leave suspension and motor work up to the pros and take care of the more straight forward stuff myself. This is why I will always just take the time/money to let Reuben do it. The piece of mind that it is done right and nothing to worry about is worth it. I would recommend checking it out, plus he is a site sponsor and gives a labor discount to members.

http://www.35motorsports.com

I'm sending Reuben a message to see if having them do the work is feasible. My problem is that my only opportunity to do this is over my spring break week, and I dread to think about what express shipping on a pair of forks would be.

I'm sending Reuben a message to see if having them do the work is feasible. My problem is that my only opportunity to do this is over my spring break week, and I dread to think about what express shipping on a pair of forks would be.

Healea travels out there weekly. If you time it just right you could have him take them out one week and pick them up the next week. Thus not costing you any shipping at all!

I'm taking a set of forks to Reuben next Wednesday. If you can get them to me by meeting up between Saturday and Monday, I can take them over. I will be back through by his shop two weeks after...

I appreciate the offer, but I won't have access to my bike till probably the 16th at the absolute earliest. If anyone is making any trips out there around then that may work.

My roommate just converted the stock forks on his 02 R1 to all Race Tech innards, he thought it was a fairly simple process... but then again we're both at the top of our class at MMI; still I think you could probably save yourself a few bucks and do it yourself.

What's with changing the fork springs? Are they too stiff/soft for your weight? If you change the spring rate up front is it going to negatively affect your bike's geometry? Will your rear spring be adequate after the front upgrade?

I'm only asking these questions in case you haven't thought about it. I'd hate to see you put some money in the front end' date=' only to have created a larger problem than already existed.

I've done a 650R front and rear. It's not that difficult, but upgrading the rear spring isn't an option. You'll have to buy a new unit if you need to change the spring rate.[/quote']

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think I'm messing anything up terribly badly. The guy I buy my parts from and get most of my tech advice from owns a 650r racing team and knows the machine inside and out, and he hasn't expressed any concern that ignoring the rear end will mess anything up. I'll ask him that outright just to be 100% sure.

Also, you've worked on 650r forks you say? Any chance the friendly folks at DucRX could install these fork upgrades? Ravenna is about a stone's throw from where I do work on my bike (my parent's house).

Yeah.. I'll PM you later on this weekend.... or Monday' date=' depending on how drunxorz I get tonight at the in-laws house. LoLoL... I can install those goodies for you, though. I'll even do it sober this time!! :eek:[/quote']

Hah, man, you'd be making my life so much easier. I won't be up in town until the week of the 21st, but I'll give you plenty of heads-up once I figure out exactly what I need done and when.