Operation "Orange Crush"

ShankroidBeast

I was looking for a bike to eventually replace my 95 Magna, and came across a project that kind of landed in my lap. Long story short I bought a 00 GSX-R600 that had been sitting and was not in running condition. I got it on the cheap.

The story was it was running fine and then it sat for I'm guessing a year and when he went to sell it he tried starting it with the bad gas. It will start with the choke on full but ran terrible and dies as soon as you let it off even after warming up.

I'm a hands on kind of guy and I've worked on cars but have never worked on a bike. I figure I have nothing to lose by trying to fix it myself, right? So I strip it down the best I can. I change the spark plugs, oil, filter, coolant, drain the gas tank. I take off the carbs and spray Seafoam in and later rinse it in gas.

Put it all back together and it ran only slightly better, and only an idle with the choke on. it would die immediately given any throttle. So I'm guessing it's starved for air or fuel.

So I download the manual and I see where you can test the output of the fuel pump. I start the test and as I'm looking at the output from the fuel line a little clogged filter was peaking it's ugly head out from INSIDE the fuel line. I don't know if this is some kind of nipple filter or what. But low and behold I quickly put every back together and she fired right up.

Yesterday I took her for a little test ride half naked around my little neighborhood. I hit 9 grand and almost shit my pants. This thing is fast. For some reason I had it in my head that 600 aren't that fast (I read to much on the interent obviously) As far as today's standards it may be "slow" but an 11 second quarter is faster than anything I've ever owned

:D Anyway on the the pics..and yes I replaced the kick-stand and there is lots and lots left to do and tons of presents to start buying her. I love the aftermarket for this bike!!

gsxr600_4-1.jpg

gsxr600-1.jpg

gsxr600_5-1.jpg

gixxer2.jpg

IMGP0288.jpg

IMGP0283.jpg

IMGP0261.jpg

IMGP0256.jpg

IMGP0278.jpg

Nice find. It's always good to see a bike brought back to life.

Keep us posted.

I have LOTS of plans for this bike including an late model GSXR eBay front end and brakes, full exhaust (although I do like the sound of that beatup D&D pipe I must admit) rear sets, and possible a Korean plastics kit.

I finally have money to put into a toy after I buy it. I usually blow my wad on something then have to spread out the upgrades over time.

My budget for the bike was about 5 grand, so I've got tons of money left over for goodies.

Down the road if I'm brave enough I might try an engine swap with a late model 750/1000. Been reading up on that one and I like it. Lower insurance, old school looks and modern power :D

nice bike man! remember when it comes to cleaning, invite friends over!! I had a chromed out 95 750 and it would take hours to clean it.

It's funny that you say that because I never in my life thought I would own anything with "bling" but it's growing on me, I'm sticking with it and adding even more chrome...lol

And yes the bike needs a very good cleaning. It will help get us aquainted. But come to think about it, I've already seen her almost naked ;)

hahaha, I think you found the reason the bike was sold. I'm not sure where that little filter part belongs, but it wasn't meant to be inside a fuel line. You never know what is inside a fuel line till you actually look to see. I used to run clear see-through fuel tubing, just to avoid that.

hahaha, I think you found the reason the bike was sold. I'm not sure where that little filter part belongs, but it wasn't meant to be inside a fuel line. You never know what is inside a fuel line till you actually look to see. I used to run clear see-through fuel tubing, just to avoid that.

That's a good idea. I was glad I looked down and saw it just barely sticking out. Never expected that. My next step was going to be to replace the fuel pump and those suckers are expensive. Can you imagine changing the fuel pump and THEN finding that in the line? Hell that fuel line was only a foot long and I never once though to look down it :eek:

My momma always told me, life gives you the test first and the lesson later.