Anyone know their needles?

chevysoldier

Okay here is a quick condensed version:

Pulled my carbs. Cleaned. Reassembled. Set fuel mixture screw. Synced. Ran like crap. Re did fuel mixture and synced. Same crap. Did research found out my needle jet emulsion tubes get worn down. Gotta get new ones at $112 for 4. Ugh. http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prody02.html for pics. Looked at my needles and found out I have needle for a CA model FZR but have a non-CA model. The numbers stamped on mine is 5CFZ7. Book says those are the CA model. It says my needles should be 5CFZ4. Anyone know what kind of difference this could make? Or how the needles differ? I don't know what those numbers mean on them.

Without a doubt, CA parts are leaner, on emissions in general.

I think it's common for CA parts to end up on 49-states vehicles.

I also hate that, because I don't want CA parts...

I would guess that the needles are not adjustable, and the CA is a bit longer.

Needle movement at the jet is the mid-range fuel, so you're running bad in mid-range?

Idle and top end is ok? Sort of?

If it's crap in general, check rate of flow of fuel and float levels.

Keep an eye on eBay for a set of used carbs.

They are nice to have around for spares and parts.

I set eBay searches for stuff I want, and it sends me emails when it finds them.

edit: I thought we were going to do some sewing...

Edited by ReconRat

I would guess that the needles are not adjustable, and the CA is a bit longer.

Needle movement at the jet is the mid-range fuel, so you're running bad in mid-range?

Idle and top end is ok? Sort of?

If it's crap in general, check rate of flow of fuel and float levels.

Yeah mid range pretty much. I thought about a set of used carbs but Id rather just get new so for like the emulsion tubes I know are okay. And buying a set of carbs would be a crap shoot on the needles Id guess.

Yeah mid range pretty much. I thought about a set of used carbs but Id rather just get new so for like the emulsion tubes I know are okay. And buying a set of carbs would be a crap shoot on the needles Id guess.

My memory says (bad as it is)... the little holes all around the emulsion tubes get clogged up easily. Mostly corrosion over time. Very hard to get cleaned out. I've had to soak them to get them working again. Even water will stop there and clog them up. Which makes the corrosion worse, of course.

AND..seeing that the side draft emulsion tubes are a common wear issue (from what you and Mike were talking about) used carbs might be just as worn.

I'm gonna take a guess here and say that before you got them all cleaned out, it was running lean from being all gummed up, and needed that extra fuel. Now that the rest of the carbs is working right, it's too much fuel. Maybe once this is ironed out, you'll get better mileage! I'm hoping that once I get my bike back together and everything RIGHT, the same will happen!

Get a fuel injected bike like I did, it solved all the carb problems.

There was some talk at one time of someone putting EFI on older bikes, such as my VF, I'll have to see if I can dig up where I was reading that. Thanks for the reminder....

Anyways, I definitely need the emulsion tubes, I thought about going ahead and jetting it while I am in there.

After looking at your carbs a bit more, it looks like they'd be easy to switch jets while still on the bike. Mine, not so much.....

After looking at your carbs a bit more, it looks like they'd be easy to switch jets while still on the bike. Mine, not so much.....

Yeah, it wouldn't be too bad, just have to pull the seat and tank and cover and that would be about it.