Wheel/tire balancing?

20thGix

So me and a buddy are disputing the need to get your wheels balanced after getting new tires. I say get them balanced whether it be static or dynamic but still have them balanced. The opposing view is that all you need to do is line up the dot on the tire with the valve stem and your good to go.

Honestly i think he is half right but you still need to have them balanced. So do i get to rub it in his face and call him a assclown or do i eat crow?

I wouldn't ride without at least the front tire being at least static balanced. The front tire on my VF wasn't balanced when I got it, and it was noticeable. I'm not sure if the rear is balanced or not, I haven't had it off, but I don't noticed any vibrations or anything.

Ive rode mine unbalaced everytime I put a set of tires on. I use dynabeads for balanceing and usually dont have them on hand when the tires go on so I ride it till I get some. I always line up with the valve stem and usually cant really feel a thing , the few times its noticeable is only at high speeds. So yes you can get away with not balanceing if youve got good wheels and tires and you mount them right. I still put the dynabeads in when I get a chance though

not all tires have the dots.. my michelins did not.

that being said i have mounted some that do... line up the dots, and have some that have taken 1 - 1.5 oz. of weight to balance.

me personally i wouldnt not balance a tire on my bike or any other bike that i do. you ride the thing on roads that have high traffic, why would you want to risk it.

not all tires have the dots.. my michelins did not.

that being said i have mounted some that do... line up the dots, and have some that have taken 1 - 1.5 oz. of weight to balance.

me personally i wouldnt not balance a tire on my bike or any other bike that i do. you ride the thing on roads that have high traffic, why would you want to risk it.

Thats what im sayin. Especially if your paying someone to change them.

Here's my line of thought on conventional balancing. The wheel with tire is only optimally balanced for that short period of time between balancing and riding. As soon as the heavy spot impacts the roadway while under load, its weight is changed. Over a period of time with the heavy spot continually impacting the roadway with greater force than the rest of the tire, the heavy spot will soon cease to be the heavy spot..

I run dyna beads and am happy with them.

Here's my line of thought on conventional balancing. The wheel with tire is only optimally balanced for that short period of time between balancing and riding. As soon as the heavy spot impacts the roadway while under load, its weight is changed. Over a period of time with the heavy spot continually impacting the roadway with greater force than the rest of the tire, the heavy spot will soon cease to be the heavy spot..

I run dyna beads and am happy with them.

that's true but only after significant miles.

how many cars do you see vibrating 2 months after they get new tires put on?

I think I'll balance mine, as best I can. Just because we can't feel it, doesn't mean it's not poorly balanced. If you run a tire up to speed on a static stand, and use a strobe on it, it can jitter all over the place. Out of balance. Even after balancing, it can still jitter at speeds higher than what it was balanced at. Balancing twice, once at lower rpms, and again at higher rpms, will remove almost all of the jitter and be real smooth.

I'm weirding myself out with the word "jitter", and had to look it up...

jitter - irregular random movement, also vibratory motion

but jitter is usually used as a noun, not a intransitive verb, but it's allowed

I professionally mount and balance tires. The dots you speak of are just to help with the balancing by helping eliminate some of the weight you will need to balance(they designate the light spot). Sometimes it will balance out perfect, but usually it will require some weight. If you balance the tire and its around 2.5oz -3.0oz I would spin the tire 180deg and retry. Michelins do not have them. Bridgestone, dunlop, shinko, metzeler, pirelli do. If your going to put on new tires, spend the little bit extra and just get them balanced. Dynabeads are roughly the same price as balancing in most cases so its a toss up. I dont use them but some people swear by em....... JUST BALANCE YOUR TIRES ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.......lol...raise your hand if you like tank slappers!

I also use dynabeads.. Cheap and easy...they work great on a street bike, but never on a track bike. I tried it, and it sucked!
I've used them on the track with no probs. The only time you should have an issue is with soft compound slicks, they'll stick to the inside of the tire instead of roll around.
I think I'll balance mine, as best I can. Just because we can't feel it, doesn't mean it's not poorly balanced. If you run a tire up to speed on a static stand, and use a strobe on it, it can jitter all over the place. Out of balance. Even after balancing, it can still jitter at speeds higher than what it was balanced at. Balancing twice, once at lower rpms, and again at higher rpms, will remove almost all of the jitter and be real smooth.

You ever used the beads Tom, much easier and better results.

I...You ever used the beads Tom, much easier and better results.

I can see that they are much easier. But no, never tried them. We had a thread last year trying to figure out if the physics of tire beads is valid. As best we could figure, yes they are.